U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Andrean High School move to Crown Point or stay in Merrillville?
Yes 4 57.14%
No 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 AM
 
2,140 posts, read 5,154,515 times
Reputation: 1550

Advertisements

Interesting read and not surprising. I saw this coming years ago when the voucher program started and demographics changed to a more diverse population.

Future location of Andrean H.S. part of comprehensive diocese study

So what do you all think? Should they stay or should they go?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2017, 02:17 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 2,691,679 times
Reputation: 6316
That's where I went to school. I think it was $1500/semester, I had a scholarship though. If they haven't added anything since I graduated in the early 90s, I say move bc that place had no amenities that most high schools had. It was a good education but not much to offer compared to Bishop Noll.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM
 
810 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Reputation: 642
Let's not sugarcoat this...

As soon as Andrean made a big push into the voucher program which catered to minorities the school lost its "exclusive" nature. The enrollment continued to decline although I've heard from some that it's stable this year compared to the last few years. Clearly, the Andrean leaders want to get back to the exclusivity of being a predominantly white upscale private school in a growing town like Crown Point.

The "potential for continued growth in that area that may be enhanced with the South Shore Railroad extension." line is kind of funny and will be used in the marketing of a potential move south in lieu of the actual reasons because it's PC. If you're a parent in CP, or St John, for example, and want to send your kid to Andrean, you're already doing it. It's not like Merrillville is too far away. Andrean has had kids from Cedar Lake and Lowell go there as well. Kids travel from NWI to Chicago to Mount Carmel every day. Making the commute time just 10 mins to school instead of 20-25 mins isn't generally going to be enough to change the decision to attend the school or not.

Also, where is the funding coming from? What exactly does a "capital campaign" entail? Trying to raise money from alumni and donors? One would have to think this would cost somewhere in the range of tens of millions of dollars.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 2,691,679 times
Reputation: 6316
It was at least 50% minority when I went 25 years ago. It wasn't a big deal.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 AM
 
119 posts, read 135,700 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Let's not sugarcoat this...

As soon as Andrean made a big push into the voucher program which catered to minorities the school lost its "exclusive" nature. The enrollment continued to decline although I've heard from some that it's stable this year compared to the last few years. Clearly, the Andrean leaders want to get back to the exclusivity of being a predominantly white upscale private school in a growing town like Crown Point.

The "potential for continued growth in that area that may be enhanced with the South Shore Railroad extension." line is kind of funny and will be used in the marketing of a potential move south in lieu of the actual reasons because it's PC. If you're a parent in CP, or St John, for example, and want to send your kid to Andrean, you're already doing it. It's not like Merrillville is too far away. Andrean has had kids from Cedar Lake and Lowell go there as well. Kids travel from NWI to Chicago to Mount Carmel every day. Making the commute time just 10 mins to school instead of 20-25 mins isn't generally going to be enough to change the decision to attend the school or not.

Also, where is the funding coming from? What exactly does a "capital campaign" entail? Trying to raise money from alumni and donors? One would have to think this would cost somewhere in the range of tens of millions of dollars.


Probably from the diocese and its parishoners.


As someone who grew up in Schererville and went to Illiana Christian High School, I can understand a possible move. From recent figures at Illiana there are 520 students, when I was there it was a little over 700. What happened? Probably a lot had to do with parents, who moved from closer vicinities, not wanting to deal with driving or having their kids drive from that far (and further) to go to school. Like it or not, these types of schools cater to who financially supports them and unfortunately money talks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM
 
810 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
Probably from the diocese and its parishoners.


As someone who grew up in Schererville and went to Illiana Christian High School, I can understand a possible move. From recent figures at Illiana there are 520 students, when I was there it was a little over 700. What happened? Probably a lot had to do with parents, who moved from closer vicinities, not wanting to deal with driving or having their kids drive from that far (and further) to go to school. Like it or not, these types of schools cater to who financially supports them and unfortunately money talks.
Fair points. A couple other thoughts:

The areas from which Andrean (if they move) and Illiana (once they move) will try to pull from (Tri-Town, CP, Cedar Lake, etc), have very strong school systems. That might not have been the general consensus 25 years ago but now I think the trade-off and benefit of spending a lot of money for private education has lessened, when compared to sending your kid to the local public school in some of these areas.

I'm curious why there isn't a more prominent Catholic High School in Porter County? If the Archdiocese of Gary wanted to serve all of NWI, it would kind of make sense to have one high school in Lake County (Bishop Noll), one in central or southern Porter County, and then Marquette in Michigan City for LaPorte County (or northern Porter County). Something like within the Wheeler or Boone Grove area. That school would be able to draw from Valparaiso (much more easily than Marquette and Andrean do now), some from Crown Point, maybe some from Portage/Chesterton, and the rest of Porter County, and perhaps even northern Jasper County.

Last edited by svillechris; 09-12-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM
 
119 posts, read 135,700 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Fair points. A couple other thoughts:

The areas from which Andrean (if they move) and Illiana (once they move) will try to pull from (Tri-Town, CP, Cedar Lake, etc), have very strong school systems. That might not have been the general consensus 25 years ago but now I think the trade-off and benefit of spending a lot of money for private education has lessened, when compared to sending your kid to the local public school in some of these areas.

I'm curious why there isn't a more prominent Catholic High School in Porter County? If the Archdiocese of Gary wanted to serve all of NWI, it would kind of make sense to have one high school in Lake County (Bishop Noll), one in central or southern Porter County, and then Marquette in Michigan City for LaPorte County (or northern Porter County). Something like within the Wheeler or Boone Grove area. That school would be able to draw from Valparaiso (much more easily than Marquette and Andrean do now), some from Crown Point, maybe some from Portage/Chesterton, and the rest of Porter County, and perhaps even northern Jasper County.


There are a multitude of reasons for people sending their children to these schools regardless of the public school options, even the golden cow of Munster schools. Speaking from my personal experience of Illiana, shoe corner is a more centralized location of their traditional supporters. A majority of the students are 2nd-4th generation Illiana students where the parents are either simply keeping up with tradition or firmly believe in religous orientated education. Those not in that camp could be looking for a school that is more accountable, responsible, or personable than the large public school in their community or as some sort of status label. I'm sure some of this could be said about those that choose Andrean.


In regards to Porter County, it is weird that there isn't a Catholic school located there. I wonder if this is a historical thing as personally I perceive Porter County to be more Lutheran and other Protestant denominations.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 PM
 
810 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
There are a multitude of reasons for people sending their children to these schools regardless of the public school options, even the golden cow of Munster schools. Speaking from my personal experience of Illiana, shoe corner is a more centralized location of their traditional supporters. A majority of the students are 2nd-4th generation Illiana students where the parents are either simply keeping up with tradition or firmly believe in religous orientated education. Those not in that camp could be looking for a school that is more accountable, responsible, or personable than the large public school in their community or as some sort of status label. I'm sure some of this could be said about those that choose Andrean.


In regards to Porter County, it is weird that there isn't a Catholic school located there. I wonder if this is a historical thing as personally I perceive Porter County to be more Lutheran and other Protestant denominations.
Most definitely, you're correct with that first paragraph. I didn't mean to make it sound like parents only send their kids to private school to avoid local public schools. Although, that does happen with regularity and may have been part of the reason for Andrean's recent enrollment decline.

St. Paul's in Valpo is well known, but I think that's only K-8. There just isn't (to my knowledge), a Catholic High School in Porter County. If you live in Valpo and want to send your kid to one, it's either 35 mins one direction to Andrean or 35 mins the other direction to Marquette. One would think the demand would be there, but maybe not. We'll see.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 04:48 PM
 
2,887 posts, read 6,392,393 times
Reputation: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
Probably from the diocese and its parishoners.


As someone who grew up in Schererville and went to Illiana Christian High School, I can understand a possible move. From recent figures at Illiana there are 520 students, when I was there it was a little over 700. What happened? Probably a lot had to do with parents, who moved from closer vicinities, not wanting to deal with driving or having their kids drive from that far (and further) to go to school. Like it or not, these types of schools cater to who financially supports them and unfortunately money talks.
When St Mary's in Griffith built their multi-purpose building, the money came from the parishoners. The monthly amount was "suggested" by the parish.

They had to sign up to pay a certain amount every month, until the building was paid off.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2017, 05:34 AM
 
2,140 posts, read 5,154,515 times
Reputation: 1550
Default Several thoughts...

1. I feel like an idiot for leaving out the "r" in AndRean in the title of this thread as well as putting the poll choices as "yes" or "no" instead of "move" or "stay" ...for future voters, yes = move and no = stay.

2. I feel like there are enough wealthy alumni and general Diocese supporters that fundraising may not be too much of an issue. Additionally, the diocese would probably finance some of the project.

3. The current school was built in 1959 at 5959 Broadway and their mascot is the "59er"...would they change their mascot if they moved from that location?

4. Andrean is definitely in need of upgraded a major upgrade...like very major...and it would be easier to start from scratch at a new location than to try to overhaul on the same site (unless they were to demolish and rebuild on the same site while temporarily housing elsewhere.

5. If anyone thinks that the change in demographics from almost exclusively White to almost 50% White has absolutely nothing to do with the decrease in enrollment and the decrease in perceived exclusivity of Andrean, they have their head in the sand. Yes, there are other factors such as affordability (for families that do not qualify for the voucher) but there are other factors. Andrean definitely has some issues with micro-aggressions that have increased as the minority population increased at the school especially as the largest minority population at the school by far is Black. Additionally, most of the Black population at Andrean were not within walking distance to the school and now, most of the kids that are walking to school are Black. If nothing else, this is also a reflection of the demographic change in the area and the perception of people driving by the school when it is let out may be that the school is predominantly Black/minority. I am almost certain that the Diocese is thinking about this perception as they evaluate the possibility of moving to a new location.

6. There are some parents whom broke tradition of sending their children to Andrean due to its location in Merrillville. If they moved south of 30 closer to 93rd but still in Merrillville, it would probably be more acceptable for many people but then again, for how long? The Diocese of Gary has been headquartered at 92nd and Broadway for years now. If the school does move, where in CP would they move to? Most likely along the Broadway corridor in a visible area in between 93rd and 109th. I could see the school located off the northwest corner of 101st (Center Ross Rd) & Broadway or near the Diocese off 93rd and Broadway where the Diocese is.

Overall, I really think this is a matter of "when" and not "if" they will move. The building is an issue, but the location is an even bigger issue.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top