U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should Griffith do regarding their township membership?
Secede from Calumet Township and join North Township (currently comprised of Hammond, Whiting, East Chicago, Munster, and Highland) 3 25.00%
Secede from Calumet Township and join Ross Township (currently comprised of Merrillville, part of Hobart, and part of Crown Point) 0 0%
Secede from Calumet Township and join St. John Township (currently comprised of Dyer, Schererville, Saint John, and part of Griffith) 3 25.00%
Secede from Calumet Township and form their own township (could be named Griffith Township) 6 50.00%
Remain in Calumet Township 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:24 AM

2,140 posts, read 5,154,989 times

Advertisements

This has been ongoing and has been discussed in the "Griffith, IN" thread; however, I believe that this topic warrants its own thread.

Here is the latest news:

Griffith sets round two for township secession effort

I have always felt that Griffith should secede and join another township and for me, it was between North Twp and St. John Twp. The more I thought about Ross Twp, the less of a good option I felt it would be as Merrillville has been needing a lot more township assistance than ever before and it will likely only get worse and then Griffith could be in the same position as they are in now. I vote that they should secede and form their own township and if allowed by law, current council members would be appointed as the township council members with maybe only slightly higher pay due to new administrative duties. It would be a lot cheaper than replicating the same positions seeing as in the geographical boundaries would be largely the same as the municipal boundaries.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 09-24-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 PM

813 posts, read 2,861,195 times
I think they are best off "creating" their own township. They don't really have to do anything, it only has to be in name only and hopefully only temporary.

Ideally, all townships statewide should be abolished. It is the easiest layer of government to abolish. They are unneeded leftovers from the 19th century that should have gone away 50+ years ago.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM

285 posts, read 485,822 times
^I'm not as familiar with the system in Indiana, but from my time living in a township in Michigan, the township plays the biggest role in areas that are primarily rural or at least not incorporated in any other way. The township provides a local government, code officials, and other serves such as a fire department and emergency services that are not as easily handled on a county-wide level. that I think is an important aspect to maintain among communities that are not large enough or central enough to be a village.

One thing where Indiana seems to vary from Michigan is that when a city or village or town is formed in Michigan, the township ceases to govern over that area. In the case of large cities, they may disappear altogether. That to me seems more logical, as in places like northern Lake County their existence is redundant: I'm not even sure what services North Township provides, that couldn't be as easily provided by the 5 cities within it's borders.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 PM

813 posts, read 2,861,195 times
Townships in Indiana are mostly duplicative in services they provide, so most would be missed by very few. They have become havens for political graft, outright fraud, top heavy and expensive administration & overhead and other political nonsense. Most provide very little value for taxpayers. That's why Griffith wants out of Calumet, it pays for everything and gets virtually nothing in return. Calumet is probably the states worst township when it comes to corruption and wasting of tax dollars.

All functions could be merged with another government agencies, because in most cases other agencies are already doing the same thing.

In the case of townships in lake county, they provide some of the social and welfare services, road maintenance and recreational activities. All things the county does as well. So why have townships when the county does those things? Granted Lake county itself is pretty dysfunctional, but that is no excuse for keeping a layer of government.

Townships are leftovers from the 19th century when people didn't have cars and it was harder to get to the county seat. Its the easiest layer to abolish.

On the subject of what north township does, the most public one is Wicker Memorial Park (the golf course, trails, banquet hall, splash pad, tennis & volleyball court etc) in Highland. Contrary to popular belief, its not run by the Highland Park District. Its for township residents of Whiting, East Chicago, Hammond, Munster, and Highland. It's actually pretty nice.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:21 PM

435 posts, read 392,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Townships in Indiana are mostly duplicative in services they provide, so most would be missed by very few. They have become havens for political graft, outright fraud, top heavy and expensive administration & overhead and other political nonsense. Most provide very little value for taxpayers. That's why Griffith wants out of Calumet, it pays for everything and gets virtually nothing in return. Calumet is probably the states worst township when it comes to corruption and wasting of tax dollars.

All functions could be merged with another government agencies, because in most cases other agencies are already doing the same thing.

In the case of townships in lake county, they provide some of the social and welfare services, road maintenance and recreational activities. All things the county does as well. So why have townships when the county does those things? Granted Lake county itself is pretty dysfunctional, but that is no excuse for keeping a layer of government.

Townships are leftovers from the 19th century when people didn't have cars and it was harder to get to the county seat. Its the easiest layer to abolish.

On the subject of what north township does, the most public one is Wicker Memorial Park (the golf course, trails, banquet hall, splash pad, tennis & volleyball court etc) in Highland. Contrary to popular belief, its not run by the Highland Park District. Its for township residents of Whiting, East Chicago, Hammond, Munster, and Highland. It's actually pretty nice.
I agree that the township just appear to be another layer of government. I will vote for the politician that runs to get rid of it.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:19 AM

Exclamation The day is here!

Just over a year to the day when I started this thread, today is the day that the polls for the secession of Griffith from a calumet township opens.

1. Only Town of Griffith residents (both in Calumet and St. John Townships) may vote in the referendum.

2. The referendum must get at least two-thirds of the votes as “yes” to pass.

3. The referendum question is: “Shall the territory of the Town of Griffith be transferred from Calumet Township to an adjacent township?"

Regarding the last point, I do feel like they should have added OR create their own township, if that could legally be done. The only potential negative I see if that this passes but then an adjacent township refuses to accept them. That could be a technicality that challenges them if it happens. If they try to create their own township, I’m sure Cal Township would use that as an opportunity to stop them from leaving. Unless, is there something I’m missing?

Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Exclamation Landslide

By over 97%, Griffith has voted to secede from Calumet Township!

Griffith town officials claim victory in secession vote

Old 09-26-2018, 09:47 AM

2,887 posts, read 6,392,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
By over 97%, Griffith has voted to secede from Calumet Township!

Griffith town officials claim victory in secession vote
I'm glad to hear this.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 3,832 times
Turns out neither North Twnshp nor St. John Twnshp wanted Griffith. So it stays in Calumet and will try again in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana