Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 AM

277 posts, read 442,124 times

Advertisements

The Fountains of Crown Point is the latest ideas in sparking the industries along I-65 - even without the Illiana Tollway coming in.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...39938b9be.html

Even with the failed (stalled) Galleria slotted for 109th/I-65, it seems like Crown Point could still grow with a development such as this.

Developer - CDP Partners / Jeff Ban of DVG Inc. - Project Manager

$150M-$250M

Initial Planning
  • 2 Hotels
  • Bowling Alley
  • Theater
  • Fast Casual / Full Service Restaurants
  • Specialty Grocery Store
  • Residential Townhomes
  • Fire Station
  • Connection to the planned Lake County Veterans Memorial Bike Trail
  • Water Features (Fountains perhaps? )
Anchor
  • Premier Outlet Mall (80-100 stores)
This seems great for the region, especially without the Illiana Tollway coming to fruition. Growth south of the Rt. 30 Corridor seems great in helping the region to establish a draw to corporations that have so far steered clear of NWI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 08:55 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
The Fountains of Crown Point is the latest ideas in sparking the industries along I-65 - even without the Illiana Tollway coming in.

'Unprecedented' development in works for Crown Point; cost is estimated up to $250 million | Lake County News | nwitimes.com

Even with the failed (stalled) Galleria slotted for 109th/I-65, it seems like Crown Point could still grow with a development such as this.

Developer - CDP Partners / Jeff Ban of DVG Inc. - Project Manager

$150M-$250M

Initial Planning
  • 2 Hotels
  • Bowling Alley
  • Theater
  • Fast Casual / Full Service Restaurants
  • Specialty Grocery Store
  • Residential Townhomes
  • Fire Station
  • Connection to the planned Lake County Veterans Memorial Bike Trail
  • Water Features (Fountains perhaps? )
Anchor
  • Premier Outlet Mall (80-100 stores)
This seems great for the region, especially without the Illiana Tollway coming to fruition. Growth south of the Rt. 30 Corridor seems great in helping the region to establish a draw to corporations that have so far steered clear of NWI.
I hate you for beating me to the punch with this LOL! But this is truly exciting. While there are still folks that do not want any development in that area, the reception for this (so far) has been much better than the previous proposals of Ameriplex commercial and apartments or the proposed Walmart from even earlier. I just hope it does not stall but an outlet mall would do amazing here especially because outlets and upscale stores are doing the best compared to average department stores.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I hate you for beating me to the punch with this LOL! But this is truly exciting.

You do a much better job at explaining these but I felt "on top of things" wanting to spark the conversation!

Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 PM

305 posts, read 568,935 times
I'm kind of conflicted by this one. While new development in the region is great, and it sounds like this will bring a good mix of uses and need to be fairly compact, maybe even semi-walkable to pack all of those uses in, at the same time I feel like this specific location is just perpetuating the suburban sprawl into countryside and southward migration.

Whereas Centennial Village is filling in a gap in an already developed area, it feels liek something like this would be better located further north rather than on the absolute fringe of the developed metropolitan area.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
I'm kind of conflicted by this one. While new development in the region is great, and it sounds like this will bring a good mix of uses and need to be fairly compact, maybe even semi-walkable to pack all of those uses in, at the same time I feel like this specific location is just perpetuating the suburban sprawl into countryside and southward migration.

Whereas Centennial Village is filling in a gap in an already developed area, it feels liek something like this would be better located further north rather than on the absolute fringe of the developed metropolitan area.
This development would include an outlet mall and outlet malls are known for being on the fringes of suburbia. However, further north (like at 109th & 65) would be more ideal. Too far north though and it may have too much of a negative impact on the Rt. 30 corridor in Merrillville and Hobart.

With respect to the sprawling of suburbia, I do understand the concern; however, housing developments are already further south from there and have been for over 10 years so this would be also serving that area. Additionally, while many folks are against the development due to sprawl and the "loss of small-town feel", many others are against it because they essentially think that Crown Point will become Merrillville and Gary in more ways than one. This is also why CP--while a decent area with good growth--also concerns me with regards to seeing White flight (and the murder on the north side of town this week--which was an isolated domestic disturbance--definitely did not help with the image either ESPECIALLY because it just happened to be a Black family involved...some of the comments online about that situation are disgusting.)

Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This development would include an outlet mall and outlet malls are known for being on the fringes of suburbia. However, further north (like at 109th & 65) would be more ideal. Too far north though and it may have too much of a negative impact on the Rt. 30 corridor in Merrillville and Hobart.
I thought the same thing in regards to the location of the Outlet Mall. The Illiana Expressway was slotted to be in between Rt 231 and Rt 2 down in Lowell. I fully expected this development to be right off of that interchange (even further from the suburbia sprawl). With the Illiana's fate undecided, it's obvious they chose the next best intersection to base this off of.

Indiana chose to continue the I-65 widening to 3 lanes despite the Illiana debacle. It was always the plan to expand the region for growth and I for one commend them for not letting that stop them.

Say what you will about crime and white flight. Crown Point has already been in a shape-shift. It is only natural with so much sprawl that you would need the commercial realm to catch up. Let's just hope we do it tastefully in the planning process and continue to grow NWI in a positive direction.

Last edited by iidreamtheaterii; 02-22-2018 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I for one am excited to hear about this and I think it will be good for the area!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:29 AM

Arrow Update

Here is the most recent update to this project as the plan unanimously approved (7-0) a zoning change from Industrial to Business and now it is headed to the City Council: $250M 'Fountains' project in Crown Point moves a step forward; groundbreaking 2 years away

On facebook, several comments were removed by the times for their racist nature. I swear, as much praise that CP gets for being a hotspot that is family friendly, reasonably priced, and has good schools, the local populace seems to be the most insecure about their future as a municipality more so than any of the other comparable areas in NWI and probably even compared to some of the less comparable areas as well. And I am not even talking about folks whom have had families living there for generations. I am speaking to those who moved to CP to "get away" from other areas due to their demographics in more recent years. It seems like some of the folks in Crown Point moved there with the idea that the door would shut behind them lol and that is not happening! Whether this outlet project ultimately happens or not, the demographic changes that people are fearing would happen anyway. If people decide to panic and sell, well then, that would be the reason for any acceleration of change to occur. As much as I want to see NWI as a whole move forward, it is comments like some of the ones that I have seen that remind me we have a long way to go.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:44 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Wonder if it could be built without the outlet mall (aka, the whole project dies because they can't fill it). The rest of it seems like there is demand for it.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Wonder if it could be built without the outlet mall (aka, the whole project dies because they can't fill it). The rest of it seems like there is demand for it.
I think there is demand for the entire project. The problem is that folks don’t want “the others” to come to Crown Point. And we all know what that really means. It’s a shame really that people have to think that way. To me, it just shows that CP residents are not confident in the future of their city even as nicer developments are proposed. I’ve stated this before but while i honestly would have no major issue living in CP (aside from being far from Chicago to commute) I would be concerned about my property value if people still felt the need to flee at any sign of demographic change (which has already occurred in north CP). I don’t think I can live in an area like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana