Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:08 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
for the most part, the malls that are lasting have had updates and/or were higher end to begin with. Southlake was an average mall to begin with and while it had mostly any store that most of middle america was interested in and could afford, it wasnt until recently that they started getting more aspirational brands (e.g. Coach, MK, Lacoste, etc). I have stated before on here that a large number of folks at least in the Munster and tri-town area will make the trek to Orland, Oak Brook, and downtown to shop for higher end things if they don’t order online (typically more higher end items are at least tried on in stores before orders are made). Lower end stores have come in and many people at the mall were teens who mostly loitered and didn’t frequent the anchor stores. I never liked Southlake overall and as the years go on, my only reason to visit was if I was in that area and had to return things. If the CP outlets open, that will take away a large share of business from the mall and also may attract folks that have avoided southlake for some time now. It would be more of a large draw than Southlake is especially if they get the right mix of stores and entertainment.
The red highlighted section above is true and fits my family to a T. Southlake Mall is 10 minutes away, but if we're doing a day of shopping, we'll go to Oak Brook, especially on warm weather days. The reasons are obvious. Orland is less desirable for me, seems too congested and not as nice overall. Orland seems like it'd be a lot closer, but after fighting through the traffic on LaGrange, it's only an extra 10 mins or so to get to Oak Brook. If not Oak Brook, then mostly online or maybe a small thing here or there from a Shops on Main store or one of the places in that area on 41. I actually couldn't tell you the last time we took a trip to Southlake just to shop around and hang out. It's lost its appeal in that regard... if it ever really had it in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:36 AM

17,370 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
The red highlighted section above is true and fits my family to a T. Southlake Mall is 10 minutes away, but if we're doing a day of shopping, we'll go to Oak Brook, especially on warm weather days. The reasons are obvious. Orland is less desirable for me, seems too congested and not as nice overall. Orland seems like it'd be a lot closer, but after fighting through the traffic on LaGrange, it's only an extra 10 mins or so to get to Oak Brook. If not Oak Brook, then mostly online or maybe a small thing here or there from a Shops on Main store or one of the places in that area on 41. I actually couldn't tell you the last time we took a trip to Southlake just to shop around and hang out. It's lost its appeal in that regard... if it ever really had it in the first place.
Heck, I live in Valpo and I'd rather go to Orland. Actually, my first choice would be the outlet mall in Grand Rapids.

Around the mall area, there are several notable vacancies, but the two that really stand out to me are Joe's Crab Shack and Don Pablos. (Pablos has been vacant for going on 4 years now.) The longer they stay vacant, the more I'm apt to believe there is no coming back for Southlake.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Default Sears

UPDATE: Southlake Mall Sears building put up for sale

Old 04-17-2018, 01:28 AM

224 posts, read 309,905 times
It seems like Carson’s will be closing after all.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1HO0BL

Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
It could be worse. Southlake has some things going for it that many malls don't have.

1. It's the only real indoor mall in NWI. Most other malls have another indoor mall that is too close by. For the size of the population of NWI there are few markets with only one major mall.

2. It doesn't have the high tax problems (high sales tax rates and property taxes) that River Oaks (and other Illinois malls) has.

3. It's still owned by a large national mall operator. (Starwood) It hasn't been passed off to some garbage landlord. So it still has access to current and future tenants that prefer real mall operators over, get the last cent out of it before shutting off the lights, slumlord type operators.

4. They have managed to pick up some upcoming retail chains like rue21, forever 21, H&M and managed to hold onto Books a Million. Just because they aren't "high end" doesn't make them bad. Malls need to appeal to a wider audience, and return to bigger mix of types of stores. In some ways they need to bring back things that used to be common in malls, like bowling alleys, grocery stores, professional services, ice rinks and the like.

5. They still have Macy's, JCPenny's, Kohl's, Dicks and AMC as major anchors. The only major vacant building is the former Gander Mountain. Yeah, Sears is a goner for sure (but at least they are trying to sublet some of their space), but that location will probably last to the end of that chain. Having two less major stores may actually help the remaining ones do better. if nothing else works, they can eventually bulldoze the Sears, Gander Mountain and Carson's to right size the mall.

What they should and could be doing:

1. Lure Kohl's inside the mall into the Carson's space (if it's too big, the mallway can be expanded a bit). The current Kohl's building will be easier to redevelop due to its location on the property (the most viable spot). The reality is that it will be very difficult to get a replacement traditional department store anchor so moving Kohl's inside may be the best bet. They could try for chains like Dillard's, Von Maur, or Belk's, but none of them are in the area at all, so its a very long shot.

2. Non retail: They need more non retail on the property. More sit down restaurants, services and entertainment options. They need to get a Dave & Busters, ice rinks, health clubs and/or Skyzone type entertainment operators. I think a bowling alley and a grocery store would be a good fit too. Can't be all retail anymore.

3. Since White Lodging is unlikely to replace Star Plaza Theatre, they could think really big. Build a new Star Plaza type theatre and try for being a destination type center. It could be built in the Gander Mountain end of the mall facing the JCPenny. There is probably about the same amount of land there as the old one. Sit down restaurants and a hotel could be built in between to "connect" them to the main mall. Or something like a indoor waterpark hotel resort type thing. Or both...... Things that will bring people to the property to help maintain the rest of the remaining retail.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
It makes me so sad that Carson's at SL Mall is closing. It's the only nice department store in NWI. Macy's is poorly managed and always looks like a dump. Carson's has a lot more class. Once it closes, I won't be shopping at SL Mall anymore.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
It makes me so sad that Carson's at SL Mall is closing. It's the only nice department store in NWI. Macy's is poorly managed and always looks like a dump. Carson's has a lot more class. Once it closes, I won't be shopping at SL Mall anymore.

I have to agree. Carson's is really the only reason I ever go to Southlake. However, I think it was really inevitable that at least the Carson's at Southlake would close. Every time I went in Carson's, there were hardly any other customers and very few workers, and last time I shopped there I saved way more than I spent. I guess I'll just have to go to Oakbrook now whenever I want to go to the mall.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 AM

321 posts, read 279,697 times
Malls such as Southlake are dinosaurs, in my opinion. I am STILL in mourning for the loss of Marshall Fields. That store "gave the lady what she wants." LOVED any mall with marshall fields...loved to go downtown to the flagship...

If I happen to go there ( that mall ) - which is an extremely rare occasion, it's just awful. Walk toward Macy's on first floor and it is pandemonium with those yelling screaming kids in the special play area. Watch out for the train, for the kids, roaming the mall and that awful horn! Moms get special parking and can sit for hours with their cinnabons while the kids just act like uncivilized monsters. Then, they all go home. Not one shopping bag. Enters NO STORES!! hmmm....why?
Macys is a GHOST town when it is time to find a cashier. No more Macy's for me. I miss L.S. Ayres. And Talbots. And all those other really nice stores...Petite Sophisticate...etc. I know some of the stores filed chapter whatever and closed, but what is left for a selection is a store of hats??!!?? what? Or, Jimmy's Bridal Wear. Even Victorias Secret is now a haven for tweenagers. The cologne they spray all over the entrance is gaggy. Those center kiosks? Awful. I don't need another cover for my cell phone - or a cell phone.

Sears IS sad. Has been for awhile.

I loved when Penney's had furniture. Then it -- furniture -- moved across the street. And now I have no idea where it went.

I once spent hours at the mall!! It seems like a big day care center to me now.

Bring back little towns shopping. Downtown Valpo with Highland Dept Store!!

I don't really "shop" anymore at any mall - even strip malls. Need one item from Target - the clothing is awful anyway, so my time is limited in that place. I do like to wander around Marshalls/Home Goods/TJ Maxx tho.

It's so easy to order online. That is what I do. Clothing, personal items, etc. Wayfair even had just what I needed.

No trying to shove two love seats in a teeny car or rent a van. I am happy with online shopping. No malls for me.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
It's not that bad. What the hell is wrong with you people. I've been in bad malls. I know the difference. Southlake is a pleasent place to shop.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:34 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
It's not that bad. What the hell is wrong with you people. I've been in bad malls. I know the difference. Southlake is a pleasent place to shop.
I don't think Southlake is a bad mall, it's just that there are better options out there. I did like Carson's, but I personally don't care much for Penney's, Macy's, or Sears. Oakbrook is a nicer mall with a greater variety of stores I like, so when I go to the mall, I'd rather spend the day out there than in Merrillville. Otherwise, there are plenty of stores on 41 that I don't really need to go to Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana