Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 11:48 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times

Advertisements

Do you think there's anything wrong with the growth potential of NWI ?

Perhaps not the best title for a lack of better wording, but what I mean is that with the predominance of Chicago and to a lesser degree once more populous and influential Gary does the rest of NWI somehow lack cohesion, solidarity which can identify a region and allow for more growth?

Sure, that can still hold true for some Illinois suburbs of the greater Chicagoland area but I think it is more true for NWI. Most of NWI cities seem to be only bedroom communities with lack of a centralized commercial or business area and I don't think Merrillville qualifiers so or as much.
Does the lack of one strong , big centralized business area contribute to this? Is it a bad thing? Is one bedroom community after another being build on cornfields points south and east OK?

Did the old northern industrialized rust belt areas and Gary's downturn somehow stopped the rest of the Region from growing in such a way that it could have in some more identity and cohesion? Was the stigma of such older areas so negative for the proper development of the area and has the Region outgrown it especially now with the influx of new residents lately?

Hope I was clear enough and be understood where I am coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 09:35 PM

6,698 posts, read 6,386,670 times
I don't see the area growing much more. The real draw over the last few decades was a lower cost of living for those tied to jobs in Chicago. Today, with remote working taking off, people can live wherever they want and many are opting for warmer climates. The days of needing to commute to downtown Chicago to bring home the bacon are mostly over. The exception imo is property along lake Michigan, I think this will always be in demand.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I don't see the area growing much more. The real draw over the last few decades was a lower cost of living for those tied to jobs in Chicago. Today, with remote working taking off, people can live wherever they want and many are opting for warmer climates. The days of needing to commute to downtown Chicago to bring home the bacon are mostly over. The exception imo is property along lake Michigan, I think this will always be in demand.

The real estate bubble has popped in many places and more to come so lets see what will come out of it. Lower property taxes and overall taxes should still be a draw for NWI. A non bankrupt state as opposed to Illinois is a plus too and that is not about to change soon IMO.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 01-11-2023 at 04:11 AM..

Old 01-11-2023, 08:07 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
The real estate bubble has popped in many places and more to come so lets see what will come out of it. Lower property taxes and overall taxes should still be a draw for NWI. A non bankrupt state as opposed to Illinois is a plus too and that is not about to change soon IMO.
The only high growth area of the state is in the sprawl-central areas of Indy, Hamilton, Hendricks, Boone, and Johnson counties. That is where 75-80% of the population growth is occurring in the state and where a large majority of very good paying jobs are.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The only high growth area of the state is in the sprawl-central areas of Indy, Hamilton, Hendricks, Boone, and Johnson counties. That is where 75-80% of the population growth is occurring in the state and where a large majority of very good paying jobs are.
Sure, which comes back to the point as to what is keeping NWI back.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:43 AM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Sure, which comes back to the point as to what is keeping NWI back.
What's holding NWI back is what you mentioned, a lack of cohesion between various cities in the region, the lack of a larger number of high paying jobs, and the legacy costs of having to redevelop many sites that had previous uses, industrial zones.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:28 AM

173 posts, read 236,284 times
I think to a varying degree too, even with many people being able to work from home/remotely, is the distance holding it back.

Metro and other commuter lines service those areas to Chicago, but to add a new station or upgrade tracks for shorter commutes as technology advances will only go so far and in some cases a long ways away.

Everyone always loves on Valpo, and rightly so I think they've created a nice niche and community for themselves, having a university there helps. It is probably the closest to having an identity for that area, but has no direct line access to Chicago. Even if it did, by rail that'd be at least 2 hour train ride.

I could see Crown Point having a bit more of an identity as well, especially being a County Seat and how desirable a bedroom community it is, but again no direct connection via train.

Most of the other areas that do have direct train connections, like most have said on here, just feel like the sprawl that is starting to impact the Indy area and lacks much cohesion or identity. Unless they can develop down towns or other attractions to their community I think NWI will stay the way it is now.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:14 PM

44,245 posts, read 19,902,941 times
Several NWI communities, including Crown Point, Winfield and Valparaiso, are growing like crazy. New subdivisions and new businesses are being built at a rapid pace.

Valpo has a reasonably priced bus service to Chicago's Loop, with three buses going to and from the Loop daily. There is also the Duneland station for the South Shore commuter train to Chicago.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana