Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 08:28 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,308,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Indiana has adopted a southern style economic structure for many years. That means low taxes, low regulations, low educational attainment, low wages, poor environmental standards, and poor infrastructure. Yes, that results in cheap housing prices due to the brain drain in most of the state other than parts of the Indianapolis metro area, mostly Hamilton, Boone, and Hendricks counties where 75-80% of the population in the state comes from.

Well...this link claims Indiana as best in the nation for infrastructure....so you appear to be WRONG.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/325093f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 09:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,138,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
You say this like its a bad things, meanwhile southern states like Texas, NC, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida are getting flooded with new residents, constant corporate relocations (especially Texas), and being one of the fastest growing economies in the country.

Meanwhile high tax northern states like Illinois are losing residents and corporations. Always see headlines of Illinois being one of the highest moved out states. wonder why

According to the US Census Bureau's 2022 American Community Survey, a mere 13,792 Illinois residents moved to Indiana. 31,015 Indiana residents moved to Illinois.

Overall, 6% of all Illinois residents who moved out of state chose to move to Indiana. While nearly 21% of all Indiana residents who moved out of state chose to move to Illinois.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...migration.html

Click-bait headlines are not facts.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:37 PM

52 posts, read 19,464 times
Indiana ranks almost last in educational level. Wow. We don't need no fancy books en all in Indiana.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/ed...3-a85230a72672

Old 01-04-2024, 10:03 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Well...this link claims Indiana as best in the nation for infrastructure....so you appear to be WRONG.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/325093f
The level of taxes for foreign owned toll roads in Indiana is idiotic, and massive amounts of new roads in different areas of the state are built as old roads continue to deteriorate left and right with chip seal patching all over the place.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:07 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
You say this like its a bad things, meanwhile southern states like Texas, NC, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida are getting flooded with new residents, constant corporate relocations (especially Texas), and being one of the fastest growing economies in the country.

Meanwhile high tax northern states like Illinois are losing residents and corporations. Always see headlines of Illinois being one of the highest moved out states. wonder why
58% outbound rate for Indiana, a bad reading overall, even though Illinois ranks worse for outbound moves. The vast majority of population growth in Indiana is only a few counties that have most of the high growth and high paying 21st century jobs. Hamilton County has 65% of its residents with a four year degree, a median household income of around $105K and a median house value of $360K. Nowhere else in the state comes remotely close.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:54 PM

Having said that ...

One of the greatest selling points for Northwest Indiana is Purdue presence at its two campuses. Hammond and Michigan City

Add to that Valparaiso University.... Indiana University Northwest, and Notre Dame AND University of Chicago sitting on the South Shore Line....

NWI is a Vortex of Higher Ed

Old 01-05-2024, 08:56 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,799,947 times
Quote:

Move over Boston!

UofC, Northwestern, DePaul and Loyola should all move! I'm sure nothing will be different....

Old 01-05-2024, 11:05 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,299,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Move over Boston!

UofC, Northwestern, DePaul and Loyola should all move! I'm sure nothing will be different....
South Suburban Community College(in South Holland, IL I think) also provides in district tuition rates, to nearby NWI residents. I don't think it's everywhere in Indiana, but just to certain parts of NWI. And Indiana does have Ivy Tech, which is their technical community college system throughout Indiana. A lot of colleges in the Loop and south Loop can easily be accessed by taking the South Shore Line, such as Roosevelt and DePaul.

Does NWI have as many colleges as the Illinois counties of the Chicago area? Probably not, but it isn't like there is nothing either. For example Kenosha County(in WI) doesn't have much, except University of Wisconsin-Parkside and Carthage College. Might be some local 2 year college(s) in that county, maybe I don't realize that exist?

Honestly the way this thread is going(and that I see insults being thrown around by certain posters I won't name), this thread obviously won't change certain people's minds about NWI. And obviously the taxing differences I see between IL and IN, always will be there. You also can't deny I've seen statistics that Illinois is #2 for population decline per the Census Bureau, with only West Virginia being worser.

Obviously not all parts of Illinois are in decline(i.e. Huntley had among the highest growth), but a lot of parts are hurting because of the high level of taxes. Some parts of Indiana are still hurting too and not growing much, i.e. Marion, IN, or Anderson. Honestly looking at any state, you are going to see some areas that are growing more than other parts, and some that are at flat population or declining to some extent. I kinda worry this thread might close, the way certain posts are like. Hopefully that doesn't occur, and this can remain a fact based discussion.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Move over Boston!

University of Chicago....Purdue University....Indiana University.....and Notre Dame all converge in the Region. Fact

Old 01-05-2024, 09:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,138,176 times
Quote:
Having said that ...

One of the greatest selling points for Northwest Indiana is Purdue presence at its two campuses. Hammond and Michigan City

Add to that Valparaiso University.... Indiana University Northwest, and Notre Dame AND University of Chicago sitting on the South Shore Line....

You're argument for why Indiana is superior to Chicago is that Chicago has the University of Chicago? Wow you are really twisting yourself into knots now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana