Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 04:00 AM
Status: "Drinking Proper 12, and now have an Irish accent" (set 4 days ago)

701 posts, read 329,923 times

Advertisements

Valpo is nice, Naperville is definitely more 'developed' but that should be expected given that it is on the Metra line.

With regard to businesses, when I say businesses I mean Fortune 500 level employers, large regional, stable employers. The biggest issue IMO for NWI is going to be the airport issue and competition. For being a bastion of high taxation and liberal policies, Illinois is more than willing to make substantial concessions to retain companies or draw companies in so it takes that issue largely off the table.

If you notice a lot of the Fortune 500 employers are proximal to O'Hare. Companies factor in local talent pool (which is driven largely by desirability for young, educated people to want to live/work there), logistics for things like business travel, interacting with customers local or global, etc. I have known companies that have shut down offices and moved to higher cost areas simply because employees, like foreign owned companies, didn't want to travel to or take assignments in the location they were in.

Anyway I am not at all poo-poo'ing NWI, in fact, I would prefer it over Chicagoland however I will not believe the boom hype until I see a large employer make the shift vs. franchises and small scale consumer businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 04:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,460,935 times
Exclamation Let's be better neighbors

A lot has been said on this thread and I usually have somewhat more detailed comments (actually had a longer one typed) but I will just leave it at this:

I think residents of Northwest Indiana and the rest of Chicagoland need to be more honest with themselves and one another regarding the overall pros and cons of each area.

I personally cannot stand when people from NWI boost the area as the second-coming when it is not. I also cannot stand when folks from the rest of Chicagoland act as if NWI is not a viable location for a large part of the metro area especially when it comes to commuting to the city for work or play. I believe that the entire metro would be better off overall if we played off of each others strengths and were better neighbors to each other. It just seems like some folks in NWI are praying for the demise of the rest of Chicagoland (as if we would not be devastated by it at all). We already see that the decline of much of the south side and south suburbs has had a negative impact on crime in NWI way more than any other suburban area of Chicago. Additionally, there are people in Illinois--yes, including nearby south suburbs--that can easily afford any area to live in NWI but do not have any desire to ever no matter how high their taxes may be. NWI people need to stop assuming that EVERYONE just is clamoring to move here. That is not the case.

Then, some folks in the rest of Chicagoland on the Illinois side act as if NWI is still the NWI of 40+ years ago. Yes, most of the historic growth had been from White flight from many of the clearly declining south side neighborhoods and south suburbs; however, we have gotten a host of new residents from many southwest suburbs that aside from the high taxes are not declining at all or at any faster rate than many NWI areas. Also, many of the suburbs in NWI are more diverse or becoming more diverse faster than the places many residents are currently moving from in Illinois (Mokena/New Lenox vs. St. John/Crown Point) for example. We have gotten way more new stores and restaurants (some at the expense of closures in the south suburbs and others new to the area in their own right). Overall, not as upscale of offerings as the rest of the metro but we are somewhat getting there!

My username may be "Northwest Indiana" but I am truly a champion for the entire Chicago area. Let us be better neighbors!

Old 01-23-2024, 10:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,321,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Valpo is nice, Naperville is definitely more 'developed' but that should be expected given that it is on the Metra line.

With regard to businesses, when I say businesses I mean Fortune 500 level employers, large regional, stable employers. The biggest issue IMO for NWI is going to be the airport issue and competition. For being a bastion of high taxation and liberal policies, Illinois is more than willing to make substantial concessions to retain companies or draw companies in so it takes that issue largely off the table.

If you notice a lot of the Fortune 500 employers are proximal to O'Hare. Companies factor in local talent pool (which is driven largely by desirability for young, educated people to want to live/work there), logistics for things like business travel, interacting with customers local or global, etc. I have known companies that have shut down offices and moved to higher cost areas simply because employees, like foreign owned companies, didn't want to travel to or take assignments in the location they were in.

Anyway I am not at all poo-poo'ing NWI, in fact, I would prefer it over Chicagoland however I will not believe the boom hype until I see a large employer make the shift vs. franchises and small scale consumer businesses.

NWI IS Chicagoland. Unlike DuPage, Lake (IL), McHenry, and Will County....Lake County Indiana actually shares a border with the city of Chicago.

Here is one example of an Austrian company doubling its NWI workforce, just announced a few months ago. A couple hundred high-paying jobs

https://nwindianabusiness.com/indust...acility/59832/

And regarding the previous post...I agree that the Region should fully embrace its role within the larger metro area. It is not a competition between the Indiana and Illinois sides of the metro. But by starting to grow at above the national rate, NWI can actually benefit the city/metro greatly by increasing the vitality, population, and economy of the larger area.

As mentioned before, I grew up on the North Shore and am simply a big fan of the South Shore. I started this thread because for the first time in my 54 years, NWI is LEADING the entire Chicagoland area in both economic and population growth.

It is in fact, a historic shift happening. Where it goes is anyone's guess. I hate Illinois' political/fiscal cluster****...but I am not at all rooting for its continued self-destruction under the corrupt government-union run machine. If someday Illinois reversed course and got its financial house in order, and NWI no longer looked so much better in comparison...great! But for the time being, it is a blessing for Chicagoland to offer several counties with low taxes and (relatively) little corruption, as well as a very business-friendly state government.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post

and Larry...coming to you from Detroit where I am working on a tourism/charity project connecting Detroit and NWI/Gary/Chicagoland...

www.route12roll.com

I always describe Gary as Detroit and Chicago's bastard Hoosier Love Child...

Old 01-24-2024, 07:40 AM

2,177 posts, read 1,814,648 times
I'm all for the Chicago MSA/CSA to grow, in both states, and heck even maybe crawling over the WI border.

The issue I have with certain NWI boosting is the notion of sucking people from IL to NWI. Sure, it happens to some extent, but that's just it....to SOME extent. Calling for an 8M shift in population is ludicrous. Hype the positive changes - doesn't have to be at the expense of somewhere else.

And despite the giddy negative press from conservatives inside and outside of Illinois, there are still a lot of good things that happen here. And there have been fiscal improvements made since JB took office. Something Rauner couldn't do (despite me voting for him). The state has problems, but it's not 100% doomsday.

As a nearly lifelong Illinoisan, the constant attacks are going to eventually be met with vigor.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:54 PM

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...ce=mp-homepage

Record industrial expansion in the Region

Old 02-06-2024, 03:41 AM
Status: "Drinking Proper 12, and now have an Irish accent" (set 4 days ago)

701 posts, read 329,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...ce=mp-homepage

Record industrial expansion in the Region
Rooting for NWI.

"Suburbs of Chicago, like our area, are the beneficiaries of the work-from-home trend. Employers still want their employees in the office and may start to find smaller regional offices outside of the major central business districts."

Let's hope so!

Old Today, 10:56 AM

Great news for downtown Michigan City

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...home-top-story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana