U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,006 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated to the area. I understand that the best schools are Munster and Lake Central but I was wondering if anyone can give me any idea about the area in general and specifically the cities of Griffith, Munster, Highland or Schererville. It seems we can get a lot more house for our money in Griffith. What about it's school system and what does the town offer? Any insite would be much appreciated. We are looking for at least 3 bdrms around or under $300K. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM

5,865 posts, read 7,089,766 times
I grew up in Griffith and still have family there. I'm fairly certain you don't need to spend $300,000 in Griffith, but I suppose it's possible to do so. From what my cousin tells me (she's a realtor) that price would be more common in Munster and Schererville--another cousin's home was in that range--4 BR, DR, study, Family room, and unfinished basement in Schererville.

Biggest downside of Schererville is the drive to the HS in my opinion--depends on your exact location--and the potential drive to grade schools. Schererville never really felt like a "town" to me, but more of a pass through along 30 and 31.

Munster tends to be a bit higher priced as it's a bit closer to Chicago and with more white collar people living there.

I don't have strong opinions on Highland.

Griffith was a nice little place to grow up, and feels like a town. I do understand from some on City-data that the schools have declined a bit since I graduated in 19.....a long time ago. One of my cousin's has a grade school age child and seems pleased with his school there. Also a step-son in the high school is doing well there.

If you're coming from outside the area, the hard thing for many to understand is that the towns in Lake County really run together. It's a bit hard to distinguish one from another unless you're looking for the boundary signs.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,006 times
Default oops

Oops, I meant we have $200,000 to spend, not $300,000. Typo. Anyway, it sounds like Griffith is nice. Anyone else with comments on the area?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 AM

35 posts, read 116,559 times
as a grad of Lake Central 1997 ~where do you get LC is a good school? Its nick name is drug central. way to over crowded with class sizes almost 900+

I would look around if I were you!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:43 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,466,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwantssouth View Post
as a grad of Lake Central 1997 ~where do you get LC is a good school?
Perhaps from this site: School Snapshot

Graduation rate and ISTEP scores above state average.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM

just because a website says a school is good or the tests results are high doesn't mean a thing. try over crowded halls, classes that are at max and so many drugs floating around the halls/lockers that a crack head would be in seventh heaven!

trust me I went there I know what goes on!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
just because a website says a school is good or the tests results are high doesn't mean a thing. try over crowded halls, classes that are at max and so many drugs floating around the halls/lockers that a crack head would be in seventh heaven!

trust me I went there I know what goes on!
The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 PM

what on earth is that supposed to mean??

I was simply replying to the first post about LCHS not being all that and you have come in here and done nothing but bash me~get over yourself please!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,369,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I grew up in Griffith and still have family there. I'm fairly certain you don't need to spend $300,000 in Griffith, but I suppose it's possible to do so. From what my cousin tells me (she's a realtor) that price would be more common in Munster and Schererville--another cousin's home was in that range--4 BR, DR, study, Family room, and unfinished basement in Schererville.

Biggest downside of Schererville is the drive to the HS in my opinion--depends on your exact location--and the potential drive to grade schools. Schererville never really felt like a "town" to me, but more of a pass through along 30 and 31.

Munster tends to be a bit higher priced as it's a bit closer to Chicago and with more white collar people living there.

I don't have strong opinions on Highland.

Griffith was a nice little place to grow up, and feels like a town. I do understand from some on City-data that the schools have declined a bit since I graduated in 19.....a long time ago. One of my cousin's has a grade school age child and seems pleased with his school there. Also a step-son in the high school is doing well there.

If you're coming from outside the area, the hard thing for many to understand is that the towns in Lake County really run together. It's a bit hard to distinguish one from another unless you're looking for the boundary signs.
I agree. When you're coming out of Lansing on Ridge Road it's hard to tell that you've crossed the State line. And from Munster into Highland, etc. They just all blend in together.

I have family in Griffith, they are South of 45th Ave and North of Elm St. Their neighborhood is nice & quiet. East of Colfax Street is Calumet Township and it's a fairly quiet part of "Gary". (I never could get used to calling that area Gary). I think the further North you go towards Ridge Road, things get a little murky. My former husband graduated from Griffith, along with scads of nieces & nephews. No complaints that I know of.

Schererville never seemed like a town to me either, except for about 6 or 7 blocks in the downtown area. S'ville is mostly stop lights & traffic, lots of it.

My brother's 3 kids went to Lake Central, and they all turned out fine. They all got in to the colleges of their choice with no problems. Most high schools are going to have drugs of some sort, no matter where you live. I think that's what gr8masterb meant about the grass not being greener somewhere else. Parental involvement is the key, no matter where you raise your kids.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
what on earth is that supposed to mean??

I was simply replying to the first post about LCHS not being all that and you have come in here and done nothing but bash me~get over yourself please!
See Artemis' post above. He/she read me correctly. That recreational drug use occurs among some in the student population at LCHS is no different than many other high schools in the country, and it doesn't trump the fact that the statistics indicate that students there, in the aggregate, peform better than the state average. As for the overcrowding problem, this is a problem in many growing, suburban school districts. It's not exclusive to Lake Central. So long as the teacher-to-pupil ratios are acceptable, things should be fine.

I challenge you to point out where I've taken a direct, personal shot at you. All I've done is refute your assertions with statistical evidence, as well as my own personal experience attending high school in a growing area of the south you so long for. Hence the "grass isn't always greener comment." There's no call for you to take personal shots at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or