Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:45 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,120 times

Advertisements

Highland and Griffith are also moderately diverse. IMO, Griffith has the better school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 PM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elani View Post
If you're looking at NW IN in general, I would avoid Griffith. I grew up there and was continually astonished by the degree of racism and hostility toward difference of any kind that still exists there
That surprises me. I have lived there for the past 12 years. Sent my kids to school there and would suggest to the OP that Griffith might be an ideal place for them. The schools are very good and the town is racially diverse. You will find people of color in every neighborhood and they seem to get along well.

We still have our home on the market there. 10 year old 6 bed almost 4000 sq' custom split level home for under $300k in the best subdivision in Griffith. It is a great place to raise your kids. The chancellor of IUN lives two doors down.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM

169 posts, read 456,427 times
I know I'm a couple months late for this, but was the original poster planning on commuting to Chicago or Notre Dame for school? Nobody has bothered to mention that Valparaiso University doesn't offer doctorates in Psych or Social Work. I don't believe that PUC, IUN, or PNC do, either. I have some strong feelings about the racism I've seen in Valparaiso (including the recent apparent arson at the former MLK center covered in one of the links above), but if you were planning on going there to get doctorates in those fields, it's a moot point.

Last edited by valpoguy; 04-21-2009 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: .

Old 04-21-2009, 11:11 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Maybe Hobart...

Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 PM

35 posts, read 114,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
I know I'm a couple months late for this, but was the original poster planning on commuting to Chicago or Notre Dame for school? Nobody has bothered to mention that Valparaiso University doesn't offer doctorates in Psych or Social Work. I don't believe that PUC, IUN, or PNC do, either. I have some strong feelings about the racism I've seen in Valparaiso (including the recent apparent arson at the former MLK center covered in one of the links above), but if you were planning on going there to get doctorates in those fields, it's a moot point.
Yes, I was planning on looking to commute to Chicago... but thanks for the info on the local schools!

So I assume you feel that racism is alive and well there then?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 29,482 times
If you are planning on commuting to Chicago, and want good public schools, and some diversity, I recommend that you check out Munster. My wife and I moved up here 5 years ago from Miami. It was a work-related move. My wife's half Ethiopian and half Indian, and I'm Jewish. Our kids are therefore, like yours bi-racial (or multiracial, I guess). All my snooty East coast friends made all sorts of jokes about Indiana being all white and hicks, but I've got to tell you that my neighborhood here in Munster is as diverse as any I've lived in. (and I've lived in Miami and DC!). My block alone has mixed black-white couples, black-South American, a couple of Indian families, Pakistanis and Filipinos. In addition to all white families. Not to stereo type too much, but any town with a good hospital seems to attract lots of educated Indian, Asian and Jewish families. I of course am not naive, and realize that racism exists everywhere, but my wife and I really haven't noticed it. The one thing that you won't get here is huge lots, and it's a bit pricier than other towns.

I know much less about Valpo, but know that it and Munster have the two best school systems. I really, really, wouldn't let your desire for land let you get drawn south of Valpo. It gets pretty rural pretty fast, and towns like Kouts have all sorts of Klan and white supremacist bikers.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 AM

17,421 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 219Dave View Post
It gets pretty rural pretty fast, and towns like Kouts have all sorts of Klan and white supremacist bikers.
Wow. Wow wow wow wow.

I would think that someone with multiracial children, who seems to very sensitive to diversity - would know better than to make such a racially charged comment about Kouts.

Makes me sad, actually.

And especially since you said you didn't really know much about the area either - and you're so quick to stereotype rural Indiana.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 29,482 times
I am sorry if I offended. I of course do not mean that a majority of people there (in Kouts) are racist. I am sure that the vast majority of people there are good, kind people. That goes for most of rural Indiana. It is simply that I believe that there is more of a racist element there than in some other parts of NWI. I don't know how to post links, but dig up the news stories on a meth ring that was broken up there last year, which had a scary white supremacist element to it. I work with people from Kouts, Lowell, DeMotte, etc, who all tell me that while their towns are basically pleasant, they do lack diversity.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM

17,421 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 219Dave View Post
I am sorry if I offended. I of course do not mean that a majority of people there (in Kouts) are racist. I am sure that the vast majority of people there are good, kind people. That goes for most of rural Indiana. It is simply that I believe that there is more of a racist element there than in some other parts of NWI. I don't know how to post links, but dig up the news stories on a meth ring that was broken up there last year, which had a scary white supremacist element to it. I work with people from Kouts, Lowell, DeMotte, etc, who all tell me that while their towns are basically pleasant, they do lack diversity.
Thank you for apologizing - and if I came across as harsh, I apologize as well.

Just as I get irritated at the people who are traumatized at the THOUGHT of driving on the tollroad through Gary in the middle of the day, the knee jerk response of saying rural Indiana is Klan county sets my nerves on edge as well.

I'm happy you and your family have found a home in Munster.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
wow ... been too busy mulching I guess. People move to the rural communities for that reason ... they want a rural community. Blanket statements about such hard charging subjects as the KKK and white supremacy will elicit nothing but ire and I suggest a more gentle approach.

Munster is lovely, good schools, proximity to Chicago ... but if one wants land, it's not the place to be. Everyone has priorities and what's great about NWI is that if you want it, you can find it.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana