U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 98,823,009 times
Reputation: 29882

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Newark has A LOT more going for it than Gary...Gary is more comparable to somewhere like Camden.
But do you really think people are afraid they're going to get mugged at the aiport or something? It's not like the plane lands in the middle of da 'hood and people have to find their way past crack dens to get to wherever they're going. Are people terrified to fly into Detroit's airport? New Orleans' airport? Any of the DC airports? Why would they be any more heistant to fly into an airport just because it's in Gary?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,825,537 times
Reputation: 6129
No I am sorry disagree with you (you build it and they will come)

One very important fact is the airport sits in a different state
do you really think Illinois will stand idle on revenue?



It will not happen-
Case in point the new expansion of the gambling bill
Guess what that will do to Indiana and Michigan casinos?
my guess is Illinois folks will go to what is close and the revenues will go down and that part of Indiana is going to lose millions in gambling revenue

Newark too is entirely different as that region is much larger than the chicago area.

Would I fly out of Gary yeah probably but try getting a family from lombard or wheaton or naperville to drive clear to Gary. Will never happen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,825,537 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But do you really think people are afraid they're going to get mugged at the aiport or something? It's not like the plane lands in the middle of da 'hood and people have to find their way past crack dens to get to wherever they're going. Are people terrified to fly into Detroit's airport? New Orleans' airport? Any of the DC airports? Why would they be any more heistant to fly into an airport just because it's in Gary?
You really cant compare an airport that is as large as Detroit or New Orleans to Gary, IN

Yeah DC the nations capital- probably the safest airport of all.

That s like comparing LAX to a landing strip in Plainfield, IL

The other thing people tend to forget is you have an airport due 50 miles east in S. Bend, IN that is established
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,825,537 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nobody frets about flying into Newark when going to NYC. The major issue is the runway is too short for anything larger than about a 727, and it's not as easy as just lengthening it. To lengthen the runway they have to re-route a set of railroad tracks and high-tension wires had to be put underground. Federal funding has already been secured and the project is underway. IIRC they are also building a new terminal.
Yeah and just like all the other airlines that came there for one year and then left. and that was with smaller 727 jets like hooters air

i respect your opinion but i differ with you on this matter
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 98,823,009 times
Reputation: 29882
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
No I am sorry disagree with you (you build it and they will come)

One very important fact is the airport sits in a different state
do you really think Illinois will stand idle on revenue?



It will not happen-
Case in point the new expansion of the gambling bill
Guess what that will do to Indiana and Michigan casinos?
my guess is Illinois folks will go to what is close and the revenues will go down and that part of Indiana is going to lose millions in gambling revenue

Newark too is entirely different as that region is much larger than the chicago area.

Would I fly out of Gary yeah probably but try getting a family from lombard or wheaton or naperville to drive clear to Gary. Will never happen
On the flipside, try getting a family from Flossmoor or Mokena or Shererville to schlep all the way to O'Hare if theyd don't have to. The idea behind having multiple airports in a region is not to try to draw everyone from everywhere to every airport. The idea is to provide options so that people from Wheaton don't have to drive to Gary and people from Crete don't have to schlep all the way up to the northwest suburbs.

As for "do you think Illinois will stand idle on revenue," Illinois doesn't have to. There has been a compact between Illinois and Indiana for the better part fo two decades now regarding the Gary/Chicago airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,825,537 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
On the flipside, try getting a family from Flossmoor or Mokena or Shererville to schlep all the way to O'Hare if theyd don't have to. The idea behind having multiple airports in a region is not to try to draw everyone from everywhere to every airport. The idea is to provide options so that people from Wheaton don't have to drive to Gary and people from Crete don't have to schlep all the way up to the northwest suburbs.

As for "do you think Illinois will stand idle on revenue," Illinois doesn't have to. There has been a compact between Illinois and Indiana for the better part fo two decades now regarding the Gary/Chicago airport.
I see the points with a third airport- I just dont see it happening in North West Indiana.
Not sure what the agreement is between the chicago airports and gary but there is an agreement of some kind. Even last week the new mayor rham Emanuel
sent over an aide to the airport breaking ground for the expanded runway. Did not see anyone from the south side there like the jacksons as they are gung ho on peotone aka Lincoln .

On the other side both ohare and midway numbers are still down due to the economy just the other day i drove by mdw and it was fairly easy at 5pm with a little traffic but nothing out of the ordinary.

to say the least it should be interesting to see how this plays out
now that I am thinking about it last week emanual even brought the attention of the gaming his exact words were why send over illinois people to indiana when we could keep them here and gain the revenue. So what ever pact daley had with the airport i think emanual could pull strings and push for an airport in illinois it would just make sense as the vast majority of the population lives on this side of the border
and then the fact you have 50 miles to the east of gary south bend, in
which already pulls people in from chesterton,valpo, michigan city, southwest michigan. It is just a hard sell for the Gary site for a multitude of reasons

Sending my wife to the Gary airport at night would make me uncomfortable
so if i think that how many thousands of other husbands would think the same exact thing>>? Now that i think about that there is no way I would send her down say brodway in Gary alone in a car no way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 AM
 
3,008 posts, read 4,909,631 times
Reputation: 1537
sunny sb is established yes, but no one esp on the illinois side is going to drive an hour 45 minutes (with no chicago traffic) and even longer because chicago has a lot of traffic to South Bend. It's over an hour from Gary alone so it won't see that traffic. If that were the case South Bend would already have the traffic but they don't due to distance. That's the same reason no one but Illinois politicians want an airport at Peotone because it just doesn't make sense geographically, it's just too far and the same with Milwaukee. No one wants to drive two hours to reach an airport when there are airports closer. An airport in Gary fully functioning at least on par with what Midway does servers the south suburbs in Illinois and south side chicago and all of the NWI of lake, porter and newton counties so yes, if the airport ever got to that point, yes people would use it because it just makes more sense and more economical to hit Gary than to drag themselves and/or their family to O'Hare along a cramped 294 and have to pay a toll on top of that.

Airlines like hooters air, were specialty airlines that were doomed to fail from the start. For the airport to work, it has to be an airport that offers multiple destinations other than tourist locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 5,825,537 times
Reputation: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
sunny sb is established yes, but no one esp on the illinois side is going to drive an hour 45 minutes (with no chicago traffic) and even longer because chicago has a lot of traffic to South Bend. It's over an hour from Gary alone so it won't see that traffic. If that were the case South Bend would already have the traffic but they don't due to distance. That's the same reason no one but Illinois politicians want an airport at Peotone because it just doesn't make sense geographically, it's just too far and the same with Milwaukee. No one wants to drive two hours to reach an airport when there are airports closer. An airport in Gary fully functioning at least on par with what Midway does servers the south suburbs in Illinois and south side chicago and all of the NWI of lake, porter and newton counties so yes, if the airport ever got to that point, yes people would use it because it just makes more sense and more economical to hit Gary than to drag themselves and/or their family to O'Hare along a cramped 294 and have to pay a toll on top of that.

Airlines like hooters air, were specialty airlines that were doomed to fail from the start. For the airport to work, it has to be an airport that offers multiple destinations other than tourist locations.

My point being the south bend airport draws from the gary market
areas like valpo, chesterton , portage , porter, laporte, Michigan City , New Buffalo
all ares that are served currently by Gary, Midway, South Bend (depending on where you live and of course your final destination.
I am not stating the south bend airport as an alternative all i am saying is that portion of the market where gary would draw from is also being in the footprint of the south bend airport.

Do you see now where i am going with this thought?
It just takes that much more away from Gary

I think you misunderstood my initial thought process- which is my mistake

Totally not against the Gary airport I just do not see it being a travelers airport but more less a freight airport if anything.

You already have gates with no compete clauses at ohare and midway so how can you attract viable airlines to Gary - all that is left is the hooters type airlines that is all I am saying it is a very challenging road
espicially considering the airlines they run on the thinist of profit margins and weigh risk greatly and if they sniff out people not wanting to fly into gary then they simply will not put on their route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 AM
 
3,008 posts, read 4,909,631 times
Reputation: 1537
Unfortunately SB only goes to 10 destinations and one of them is Chicago. For the most part NWI flies out of Chicago by a 95% margin so South Bend regional isn't really pulling that much traffic away from Chicago since odds r they will have the 20 minute flight to chicago to board their actual plane.

You attract airlines by advertising your extremely low taxi fees which are a killer for airlines. Indianapolis International, the airlines complain constantly because the fees and the fact until the new terminal was built you could taxi 15 minutes just to hit the runway. You advertise the ability to get in and out quickly unlike O'Hare where you can be stuck for a while just getting through security. From Gary you can actually get within Chicago city limits in about 10 minutes via Indianapolis Boulevard or the Toll Road to the Skyway so proximity is great. Granted their does need to be an influx of business to the area right around the airport, hotels etc. The riverboats are minutes away from the airport so it has the potential. Just needs the opportunity and for the people to have an open mind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM
 
2,887 posts, read 6,392,853 times
Reputation: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
My point being the south bend airport draws from the gary market
areas like valpo, chesterton , portage , porter, laporte, Michigan City , New Buffalo
all ares that are served currently by Gary, Midway, South Bend (depending on where you live and of course your final destination.
I am not stating the south bend airport as an alternative all i am saying is that portion of the market where gary would draw from is also being in the footprint of the south bend airport.

Do you see now where i am going with this thought?
It just takes that much more away from Gary

I think you misunderstood my initial thought process- which is my mistake

Totally not against the Gary airport I just do not see it being a travelers airport but more less a freight airport if anything.

You already have gates with no compete clauses at ohare and midway so how can you attract viable airlines to Gary - all that is left is the hooters type airlines that is all I am saying it is a very challenging road
espicially considering the airlines they run on the thinist of profit margins and weigh risk greatly and if they sniff out people not wanting to fly into gary then they simply will not put on their route.

Nobody I know goes to South Bend. Ever. My family is all over NWI, including LaPorte County.

Most of the time they fly out of Midway, sometimes O'Hare. Besides, SB is a different time zone, which just makes the traveler's timetable more complicated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top