Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

Michael Jackson is a person who lost touch with reality. If anyone has listened to Depak Chopra's experiences with Michael, you'd see what a lost soul he truly was. Anyone who dared tried to bring him back to reality (i.e. told him to get help, or told him no), he would shut them out ... the English tabs are having a fieldday with all that is leaking out ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The media might be praising Obama now, but if Obama screws up, the media will have a field day with him.
And that's different from any other president in what way?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,722 times
Default M. Jackson

I'm not sure Mike would have wanted to be buried in Gary. To many people, it seems as though that was a time in his life that yielded a lot of sadness. I would imagine that he has made plans to rest in a place that embodies peace and true beauty. Perhaps a place that he visited and fell in love with. His death was a shock to us all. May he finally have peace.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Michael Jackson is a person who lost touch with reality. If anyone has listened to Depak Chopra's experiences with Michael, you'd see what a lost soul he truly was. Anyone who dared tried to bring him back to reality (i.e. told him to get help, or told him no), he would shut them out ... the English tabs are having a fieldday with all that is leaking out ...
If he lost touch with reality, could you blame him? He did live a tortured life. For someone to say "get over it", well, anyone can just say that.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:43 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
I thought "brothers" help each other out. What did Wacko do for Gary? ONE BIG NOTHING!
Many blamed industry and the "establishment" for hurting Gary, but a billionaire at one point Wacko did nothing.......
One of "their" own turned his back on " them"! Why did we expect anything else?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
That would be the best thing ever happen to Gary. They can build a museum or make musuem out of his birth home. I been to Martin Luther King house in Atlanta. But Gary is so depressed, they didn't mention Gary to bury him.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I thought "brothers" help each other out. What did Wacko do for Gary? ONE BIG NOTHING!
Many blamed industry and the "establishment" for hurting Gary, but a billionaire at one point Wacko did nothing.......
One of "their" own turned his back on " them"! Why did we expect anything else?
Are you insinuating that somehow Micheal Jackson had a moral responsibility to bail out Gary because he happened to be born and live there for a time? If that is the case, I wholeheartedly disagree. Regardless of one's opinion of Jackson he earned his money and it was his to spend as he saw fit. Realistically, I doubt ANY amount of money he could have provided would have helped Gary in any meaningful way. As long as racism, hate and fear continue in NW Indiana Gary will remain what it is. Sadly, I believe few people (on these boards) really give a damn about the citizens of Gary, they are only concerned with their own property values in the neighboring towns. The fact that is being ignored is that the future of Gary is in the hands of these very same people. Nothing has changed because THEY aren't willing to support businesses in Gary, buy real estate in Gary, or do anything else that would stimulate positive growth within the city. Please don't go blaming a pop icon who settled thousands of miles away for the mess that the residents of NW Indiana largely brought upon themselves.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Sadly, I believe few people (on these boards) really give a damn about the citizens of Gary, they are only concerned with their own property values in the neighboring towns. The fact that is being ignored is that the future of Gary is in the hands of these very same people. Nothing has changed because THEY aren't willing to support businesses in Gary, buy real estate in Gary, or do anything else that would stimulate positive growth within the city. Please don't go blaming a pop icon who settled thousands of miles away for the mess that the residents of NW Indiana largely brought upon themselves.
When it comes down to it, I really don't give a damn about Munster or St. John or Dyer either - it's not my responsibility to ensure their towns prosper ... why should I feel differently about Gary?

I don't really care for the victim mentality ... "it's not MY fault" - personal responsibility goes a long way.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:16 PM

31 posts, read 134,854 times
As a resident of Gary, I must leave to thrive. Most folks are barely surviving here. That includes the hardworking people. Maybe we are getting priced out. I want to get out so bad. My city is basically wasteland. Anybody who doesn't think it is bad here is really naive. You are right. Nobody cares about us. Nobody cares that hardworking families can't sit on their porch because of the transient renters hanging out. They don't work or go to school. They allow felon spouses, boyfriends, brothers, cousins, etc. to stay with them and put fear in everybody on the block. I'm a fairly young wife and mother of a beautiful little girl. On either side of us is a dangerous mix of folks. Our every move is watched. You have to be nice enough so they don't think you are a snob. On the flip side, if they don't want to speak, they won't. I try to speak to everyone but, refuse to kiss butt because I don't want to hang out and act like a deranged child. We have been more than kind and may be in jeopardy because some of these folks take that for being naive. Before our current "home", we lived in a few other areas in Gary. Same story of living in fear. Neighbors in both areas said we were quiet and the best neighbors but they were hell raisers! These people are really troubled. They believe they own the streets/neighborhoods. Don't even think about asking them to quiet down. You will regret it. But don't disturb their parents or kids. Thanks Rudy, Allen, Pratt, Hatcher and others for creating a huge ghetto!It is sad that nobody cares about the decent people of Gary who pay taxes and have to watch their backs day and night. My husband refuses to move but I know I have to for our daughter's safety. As much as we want to be nice and give a dollar now and then, we have to watch out. I'm telling him somebody is going to take advantage of that. This has happened in Gary before especially with older people. I truly believe people are assaulted, robbed and intimidated daily in Gary. It doesn't always make the news. Most of us here are neighbors to people who are killers, drug dealers, robbers, burglars, etc.So I get it why some would not care. To outsiders it seems we deserve what we are getting. Even those of us who were babies and didn't vote for the losers I mean "leaders" of Gary (past 40 years). Many of us didn't vote for Rudy Clay. We were outnumbered. So say a prayer for us who are just trying to avoid being killed. We are surrounded by powder kegs. It would be nice to know somebody cared and knew that people like me work hard at being a productive citizen. I'm in college (almost finished) and was an early education teacher. I was a substitute teacher before my daughter's birth and hope to sub again this fall. My husband is a teacher for GCS. I never understood why communities like Gary tolerate such poor living conditions. That is why I'm headed to the Indy area to finish up my studies and feel safe for once. I will still give back to Gary in some way.I love/hate my hometown. Many bad memories growing up poor here and some good ones too. I encourage others often to dream big and if that means leaving Gary do it. Because truly nobody cares about us really. I'm determined not to become another statistic.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
When it comes down to it, I really don't give a damn about Munster or St. John or Dyer either - it's not my responsibility to ensure their towns prosper ... why should I feel differently about Gary?

I don't really care for the victim mentality ... "it's not MY fault" - personal responsibility goes a long way.
I don't know where you live but ummmmm if its in NW Indiana and you own real estate I think its in your best interest to care about the communities surrounding you because what goes on in them will influence your quailty of life and your property values in a significant way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana