Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Does brg live there?
No-

There is a difference between bringing 2000 jobs to a state and bringing 2000 employees. "IF" the CME were to ever move anywhere, they would be bringing employees--not jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Goodness, this is why people do not/cannot take anything you say seriously. It's all in your head and factually unsupported opinion/nonsense. Check out glassdoor.com for average CME salaries. Very few are 6 figure salaries.

Smart people generally make decisions based upon fact--not their imaginations or what they "hope" is true.
Brg's statements are not always accurate, but this time he does seem to have some support, at least according to this December 2011 article in the Indiana Business Journal.

"Brainard said in the letter that he is 'excited to know' the company anticipates creating approximately 1,700 full-time jobs with an average annual salary of $135,000."

Regardless, I remain highly skeptical that it will happen. I think the Merc is just trying to get some more leverage with Illinois, and Indiana is getting played. Sure, tax incentives are great, but there are more reasons why CME has been in Chicago for 110+ years. It's not that cut-and-dried.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
need some moderation here ... this road is closed temporarily

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
I just took a quick look at the CME Group. With a company that has members sitting on foreign boards my thinking is they will not got give up a prestigious address in the Loop or leave Chicago. What they may do is open/build an office, to handle the new $100M Farmers & Ranchers Fund that recently went public, on a choice piece of Indiana landscape. It would be a win-win for both.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I just took a quick look at the CME Group. With a company that has members sitting on foreign boards my thinking is they will not got give up a prestigious address in the Loop or leave Chicago. What they may do is open/build an office, to handle the new $100M Farmers & Ranchers Fund that recently went public, on a choice piece of Indiana landscape. It would be a win-win for both.
didnt know that was going to happen.
Now i agree with you there

Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
didnt know that was going to happen.
Now i agree with you there

The only guarantee in life is death and taxes.

I did not state for a fact that anything is going to happen. What I said was this: "What they (CME) may do is open or build an office to handle the new $100M Farmers & Ranchers Fund on a choice piece of Indiana landscape. They could, they might, they may not. Only time will tell. I am not privy to any information not released to the general public. You can read it on their website too.

Last edited by linicx; 04-09-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Enough about the CME group please. Enough about Indianapolis in this thread, please.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Just had a controversy in the Illinois Chicago Suburbs section because I dared to recommend Valparaiso as a good choice for someone looking for a nice Chicago suburb. WTH! NWI towns are not Chicagoland Suburbs? That was the reason?

Chicago metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by WildWestDude; 06-17-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM

328 posts, read 726,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Just had an answer deleted in the Illinois Chicago Suburbs section because I dared to recommend Valparaiso as a good choice for someone looking for a nice Chicago suburb. WTH! NWI towns are not Chicagoland Suburbs? That was the reason!

I lived in Bradley, Il which was 1 hour south of Chicago. They would say we are not a suburb.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Just had a controversy in the Illinois Chicago Suburbs section because I dared to recommend Valparaiso as a good choice for someone looking for a nice Chicago suburb. WTH! NWI towns are not Chicagoland Suburbs? That was the reason?

Eh. In this day and age the "suburb" isn't necessarily the land of milk and honey it used to be anyway. Most of the towns in NWI, by virtue of their age and history, are far removed from many of the cookie cutter suburbs you see in IL. I was born and raised in Valpo, and growing up it never really felt like a suburb. Coming back to visit, I'm always shocked to see the amount of development that has transpired in my absence. It's definitely becoming consumed by the metro area, but I think it has also has retained a great deal of its own character. Older Victorian homes, mature foliage, an actual downtown... you don't really see a lot of that in typical Suburbia, USA. But the commercial and residential development that surrounds the core does give it a distinctly more suburban, cookie-cutterish feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana