Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:13 PM

11 posts, read 39,142 times

Advertisements

I might move to Chicago for work and I currently live in NE of IN. I am looking for somewhere in Indiana and commute to Chicago daily. I plan on driving back home in NE of IN on weekends so I want to live somewhere closer to my home. I know if I live in IN side, I need to take Chicago skyway and it will cost me $6 daily. Any advise where can I live in Indiana and work in downtown chicago?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There is train service and other driving option besides the Skyway, there are several threads on this.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
3 words: South Shore train. Though if you're going to stay closer to Chicago during the week for work, I think you might as well live in the city and save yourself the crap commute from Indiana, and only have a long drive/train ride twice a week.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 PM

27 posts, read 140,487 times
St. John is the only place in NW Indiana that I would live, take I394 to the Ryan, or commute up to the South Shore train.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:16 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbros View Post
St. John is the only place in NW Indiana that I would live, take I394 to the Ryan, or commute up to the South Shore train.

The gas is going to kill you if you don't live in a city that actually has a south shore station. Short of living in Chicago, that's the only viable option.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Chesterton.

Great town, South Shore station, near expressways for either driving to Chgo or back to NE Indiana.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 PM

57 posts, read 198,759 times
Agree with Chuckity. Chesterton is a great little town. All the simple pleasures of a great midwestern community...gazebo, quaint cafes, nice neighborhoods (some old, some new, all prices), great schools, summer movies in the park, festivals, etc... And easy access to the larger South Shore Station. SS is the way to go for commuting. It is the last electric train that runs state to state in the country I believe. Any of the smaller communities East of Miller beach and no farther than Valparaiso along the lakeshore would be easy access to the train, and driving if needed. Porter for instance.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM

211 posts, read 947,770 times
I agree. Chesterton is a very nice little town and easy to commute to Chicago from. I commute every day to Chicago from Valpo and also a very nice place to live. We looked in Munster and St John. Hated St John. Very generic, at least the places I looked at. I did fall in love with a house in Munster and one in Hammond by Purdue Cal which sold in 2 days. The Munster house was a little too close to flood zone then we could handle. We ended up moving to Valpo and are very happy with that decision even though life is much more difficult and I do miss living in Chicago. The great thing about the home/area we chose is we do not have neighbors immediately next to us. Alot of room and I love the downtown area. Only problem is my husband's job moved to Schaumburg. Long drive so we are still trying to figure out what to do. Also I'm a bit taken a back by the drug use here. Still happy with our move.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
I agree. Chesterton is a very nice little town and easy to commute to Chicago from. I commute every day to Chicago from Valpo and also a very nice place to live. We looked in Munster and St John. Hated St John. Very generic, at least the places I looked at. I did fall in love with a house in Munster and one in Hammond by Purdue Cal which sold in 2 days. The Munster house was a little too close to flood zone then we could handle. We ended up moving to Valpo and are very happy with that decision even though life is much more difficult and I do miss living in Chicago. The great thing about the home/area we chose is we do not have neighbors immediately next to us. Alot of room and I love the downtown area. Only problem is my husband's job moved to Schaumburg. Long drive so we are still trying to figure out what to do. Also I'm a bit taken a back by the drug use here. Still happy with our move.
So...if someone was to move to Val or Chesterton and took the train to Chicago, about how long of a train ride is that? I may move to that area late Spring of 2010 and may commute into Chicago.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM

211 posts, read 947,770 times
The train is about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Not bad though if you enjoy reading or something else that will keep you busy. The hard part is waking up so early and getting home so late.....and winter really sucked because 49 was an ice rink most of the time. I've been doing it everyday for a year now so I'm getting used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana