U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 AM

226 posts, read 946,016 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]this is not a racist based question. I heard Miller Beach is probably the whiter part of Gary, what else? I'm considering of buying a cheap property somewhere in Gary that just isn't too rough or too crazy. Usually the blacker the area, the rougher it is (again, not a racist comment). Some form of "whiteness" or "immigrant" presence in Gary would be the suitable location. Like name the streets to check out and what to avoid.

[/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 AM

265 posts, read 925,556 times
From Wikipedia: The racial makeup of the city was 84.03% African American, 11.92% White, 0.21% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.97% from other races, and 1.71% from two or more races. 4.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Gary is predominately black. You're not going to find an island of white people anywhere in the city (and that's no guarantee of safety anyway). The areas around the golf course and IUN are considered better than others.

There's a long thread here you might want to read: Is Gary, Indiana Really That Bad

Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM

12,543 posts, read 8,891,421 times
I heard that Lake Michigan is the whitest part

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,165,657 times
The Black Oak area used to be predominately white and safer compared to many other areas...I am not sure if that has changed considerably in recent years. I think the zip is 46408 however that may extend into some rougher areas. Major roads going thru that area would include Colfax, Calhoun (sp?), Burr. The area doesn't seem to have any degree of enforced zoning its kind of a strange mix of housing/ scrap yards/ trailer parks ect. Calumet Township between Gary and Griffith is mostly white as well. Both areas look alot worse and more crime ridden than they actually are. Calumet Township is the nicer of the two areas.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 AM

309 posts, read 945,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
this is not a racist based question. I heard Miller Beach is probably the whiter part of Gary, what else? I'm considering of buying a cheap property somewhere in Gary that just isn't too rough or too crazy.
I grew up in Tolleston - and Miller Beach was our summer home. I was back this Summer - Marquette Park is mostly black and Black Oak like much of Miller is half-n-half. The further up on the shore you go, the more expensive it gets, but that doesn't mean it's whiter.

Less expensive areas to invest would be near the cemetaries - along Ridge Road and down Broadway, Grant, etc.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 AM

197 posts, read 632,466 times
It depends.

The Whitest part of Gary is Black Oak, which contrary to popular belief is possibly the most ghetto part of Gary. It looks like "Deliverance" or something back there. A lot of crystal meth goin' on back there.

Miller, is another part of Gary that has a sizable White populace, ranging from the redneck trailer park residents on 12/20 to the more affluent White folks that live on Lake Michigan in the Hills.

So, which one is it?

Rednecks or Hippies. Take your pick.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM

15,585 posts, read 26,090,248 times
This guy is Looney Tunes.

Quote:
Anyone here been in either city and know much about it? Care to make comparisons? I live in Chicago now. I lived in MD for the last ten years or so and do miss Baltimore. Chicago looks great...in pictures. Baltimore City is truly Charm City both real and in pictures. Both has its ghettos, Chicago's look far depressing for a city its magnitude/diversity/and so on compared to Baltimore's. The ghettos in the South Side Chicago looks absolutely flat and boring, after all it's the plains/midwest. Baltimore's "hoods" has charm, even HBO's "The Wire" captures this essence.

Comment on without bashing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...baltimore.html

Quote:
I am Chicago now. Not liking it at all. I moved from Maryland. I miss it. I miss the charm of Charm City (Baltimore). I miss the East Coast. Outside of Chicago, it is still the mid-west. Unappealing site!

What is this New Orleans thing I keep hearing that some people there or have been there miss it, New Orleans "calling them back", what is all this? What's so good about that place. I'm considering a move out of Chicago. This place is average.

Is NO affordable? It should be compared to Chicago or any NE cities. Will car insurance be high in NO?

People always talk about the food in their city. Like Chicagoans talk about how great Chicago Pizza is. It is good, but anyone from Alabama can emulate a Chicago Pizza with the right ingredients/oven/and chef. It has NOTHING to do with regional base at all. Baltimore has crab cakes. Baltimoreans don't brag about it as much as Chicagoans brag about their pizzas. Crab cakes can be packed by Murray's and shipped anywhere, then you fry it. Good food is not based on region. I've seen on this forum some people in New Orleans brag about their food, etc. but what else is really special about NO? Is it the overall atmosphere of the city? The people? Is it the debauchery? The STDs? What is it?

what is so good in NO that some people are talking about?

Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM

130 posts, read 370,664 times
Quote:
Usually the blacker the area, the rougher it is (again, not a racist comment). Some form of "whiteness" or "immigrant" presence in Gary would be the suitable location.
Yeah, I get no racial undertone from this comment at all. Having lived in several cities across the USA, I can tell you that one's ethnicity does not guarantee you any safety. Last time I checked, (and dont tell anyone....it's a secret) WHITE PEOPLE COMMIT CRIMES ALSO!!!! This is all very sad and I'm personally disgusted.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,715,388 times
I'm just curious in why are you moving to Gary in the first place? Unless you're trying to be some rustbelt pioneer in hoping that the city will comeback to life or some low income person who can't afford anywhere else, then I don't see the reason in moving into Gary. Its your money and life, but you're better off in Hammond where there are more white people there.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 AM

11 posts, read 46,598 times
just go to south bend or something. i can't believe any sane white person would
be thinking of moving to gary as a matter of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana