Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM

378 posts, read 1,286,726 times

Advertisements

Lake County IN and Chuckity, you both seem to think that you actually know what you are talking about.

Lake County, first off you mention sociologists study this stuff or whatever. I didn't even read the whole post so I am not necessarily disagreeing. But sociologists, like economists, like to consider themselves scientists. They are not scientists. They fail to take in a huge amount of random factors, one being what Chuckity mentioned, the human element.

But Chuckity, how could you have ANY ****ING IDEA what goes through the head of some kid in Gary, IN? How could you KNOW he has a choice to choose a lifestyle. Believe what you want, but knowing how someone else thinks is impossible. Frankly I think people like you do it to make yourselves feel better about the "choices" you made. No **** everyone has choices, but that doesn't mean they know they have choices.

I'm sure I glossed over a lot of what you guys said because I don't really care that much. Just wanted to say what I said. Chuckity, lay off the Fox news. JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM

17,173 posts, read 14,470,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Lake County IN and Chuckity, you both seem to think that you actually know what you are talking about.

Lake County, first off you mention sociologists study this stuff or whatever. I didn't even read the whole post so I am not necessarily disagreeing. But sociologists, like economists, like to consider themselves scientists. They are not scientists. They fail to take in a huge amount of random factors, one being what Chuckity mentioned, the human element.

But Chuckity, how could you have ANY ****ING IDEA what goes through the head of some kid in Gary, IN? How could you KNOW he has a choice to choose a lifestyle. Believe what you want, but knowing how someone else thinks is impossible. Frankly I think people like you do it to make yourselves feel better about the "choices" you made. No **** everyone has choices, but that doesn't mean they know they have choices.

I'm sure I glossed over a lot of what you guys said because I don't really care that much. Just wanted to say what I said. Chuckity, lay off the Fox news. JK
Yep ... you pretty much glossed over where I said the people with choices were adults.

And our friendly moderator told us to knock it off too. I think you glossed over that as well.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,644,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
This will probably go over like a lead balloon, but, maybe its time to try a white mayor again. Couldnt turn out any worse than your last umpteen mayors.
I agree Gary hasn't had a decent mayor in awhile however, I disagree that a "white mayor" would be able to make much of a difference at this point in time. Gary needs FAR more than strong leadership...so it probably wouldn't turn out any better either. Race isn't the issue here...greed and corruption have been problematic, but it isn't as if there aren't "white" mayors guilty of the same.

BTW a ummmm black man is running this NATION.

Really NWI needs more to draw people to the area and more importantly keep them there. I don't have the answer but as I think I mentioned before I think the 3ed airport would be a good start.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM

801 posts, read 2,560,375 times
If NWI can't get past its "separation mentality" ... it won't go anywhere in the next 20-30 years.

Tons of examples of this.
- Safe and calm, but poor-quality schools that warehouse kids, instead of modern education that challenges students and connects them to the world.
- Separation of blacks, whites, and latinos.
- Very clique-ish and insular groups... for many, life centers around church congregations.
- Not many open doors for anyone who wasn't raised in NWI, or raising kids.
- Very little turnover in politics, with certain families controlling the political infrastructure.
- Very little investment or innovation in business.
- Very little municipal investment in recreation opportunities, infrastructure, and the like.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,654,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
If NWI can't get past its "separation mentality" ... it won't go anywhere in the next 20-30 years.

Tons of examples of this.
- Safe and calm, but poor-quality schools that warehouse kids, instead of modern education that challenges students and connects them to the world.
- Separation of blacks, whites, and latinos.
- Very clique-ish and insular groups... for many, life centers around church congregations.
- Not many open doors for anyone who wasn't raised in NWI, or raising kids.
- Very little turnover in politics, with certain families controlling the political infrastructure.
- Very little investment or innovation in business.
- Very little municipal investment in recreation opportunities, infrastructure, and the like.
wow .. those are some big meatballs you're throwing out there ... please tell me where these issues are not an issue in the state of Indiana. Seriously, give me one place where you can check "no" to every one of these issues in one fell swoop.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 AM

I appreciate your response...

Well the thing is, for the last year, I've been based mainly out of the area... and seeing what other school systems, other municipalities, and other regions are doing and have been doing with their master planning efforts for the last 20-30 years.

NWI is just so far behind the norm and so many years behind... with such a history of corruption and industrial focus and divisiveness... that I don't know if it will ever catch up.

My family is still in the area, but, for all practical purposes, I'm done investing in hope for this area. Until downstate starts to care about what happens in the NWI region, and until people demand better from NWI schools, there's really nothing that can be done.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 AM

26,400 posts, read 46,383,910 times
Hmm...
I think the future looks decent for Porter County. Lake and LaPorte counties need serious help with economic development. I heard from friends that Valpo now has a TIF district setup for part of the town to pay for new development upgrades. The NWI economy is still highly linked with the Chicagoland area. The Chicagoland area has not had very good economic growth at all since 2000 and that has negatively impacted NWI (particularly Lake County) to a varying degree.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,503,517 times
Quote:
.... Until downstate starts to care about what happens in the NWI region.....
Downstate? The rest of your post implies that folks in NWI need to care more. And, aren't the the ones who can most affect it?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM

I do not see this area attracting recent college graduates, outside investment, or international investment. I do not see this area leading the way in much of anything. Does that make my stance clearer? This is an area of followers, not of leaders.

Yes, the people of NWI need to care more, but they are facing such great odds. The economic engine that NWI relies on, Chicago, will likely never do anything to support this area, other than unintentionally, because they are looking out for Illinois' best interests. Indiana government has neglected this region for decades, and very few NWI people are involved in state government. The higher education system in the state has only invested in satellite branches and not a full fledged university which would offer unique programs and have the chance to grow them. And, this area faces racial division and crime issues that are more severe than only a handful of other metropolitan areas across the country.

Just a reality check. This area needs a wake up call. Unless schools and the half-powered university system in this area can nurture and develop leaders and retain them, this area will be probably be the same 20 years from now. There's a reason why NWI's most talented young people leave this area. There is more support and more opportunity and a better quality-of-life elsewhere.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,503,517 times
Quote:
Indiana government has neglected this region for decades.....
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana