U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city would you most prefer to see new upscale lifestyle shopping center in?
Munster 5 41.67%
Schererville 2 16.67%
Dyer 0 0%
St. John 1 8.33%
Crown Point 2 16.67%
None 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM

117 posts, read 147,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
??? The project was put on hold (as many other projects in the area) due to the ECONOMY. The developer used a mix of TIF funds, sales from bonds, and cash to finance this project. This all takes time.

You say "I wouldn't be so sure about it" as if this is a guessing game...Why would Chipotle be lying?? E-mail them and ask for yourself.

Do companies commit to projects then back out? Yes, it happens. However, this location is about 90% constructed. Why would a Chipotle representative state that they are opening October 31st if they were not?? Five Guys put the Munster location on their website less than A MONTH ago and they were announced as a proposed tenant at the same time Chipotle was. The spaces are about 100% leased.

Like I said...the long delay on construction was mostly due to the economy and the developer trying to get the least bank financing as possible. This was published in the news paper and in town meeting minutes. It's not a guessing game.

So, none of the "named tenants" has reconsidered anything. So far, all of the mentioned tenants have located where they stated they would.

Still skeptical? Contact Chipotle yourself.
Of course, I am sure the economy had something to do with it taking over a year to construct. But still several other chipotle site locations have been chosen in relatively nearby vicinities and have already opened since the original announcement of munster shops. Most of them opening in a few months. Not a few years. So a little skepticism isn't out of line. Definitely not in the norm for a fast growing brand like chipotle to wait years to open a restaurant after selecting the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Of course, I am sure the economy had something to do with it taking over a year to construct. But still several other chipotle site locations have been chosen in relatively nearby vicinities and have already opened since the original announcement of munster shops. Most of them opening in a few months. Not a few years. So a little skepticism isn't out of line. Definitely not in the norm for a fast growing brand like chipotle to wait years to open a restaurant after selecting the site.
When the development of Munster Shops was announced, Chipotle along with several other nameplates were only proposed tenants...nothing was signed...but there was little reason to believe that they wouldnt locate here...a little over a year ago, Chipotle actually signed on as a committed tenant. But there was no pre-existing building or anything like that. They had to wait for the construction of the building..the other locations did not have to wait as long because those developments were in smaller strips where it seemed Chipotle actally had more control of the development....Chipotle is locating in the second building of Munster Shops (which didn't break ground until very late last year) and really isn't "driving" the development...A little skepticism is not out of line when there are no confirming/denying sources...but when there are valid, direct sources out there and they are provided to you, then it starts to look "out of line".

Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Default Update

Well although it has to go through the town approval process(es) again, I feel optimistic that this will happen. I stated for a long time that I felt that Boyer was concentrating on the smaller Munster Shops development (that is now about 100% leased) and then will probably focus on Shops on Main.

Schererville will definitely expedite things for this...good news! Hopefully as more financing gets approved, we will hear of some tenants again! A lot of the potential tenants were lost to Highland Grove, but there are still many more good options out there!

S'ville OKs financing for Shops on Main

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM

635 posts, read 1,037,813 times
I think this could be huge for the area and the west central part of Lake County in particular. Ask most upper middle to upper class families their wish list for where they decide to live, and good shopping close by is typically on that list. This could do more than just increase tax revenue, but it could help to grow the area by making it more desirable. I know a decent amount of people from the Munster, Highland, Tri-town area that are tired of Westfield Mall in Merrillville/Hobart. For some it can be 25 mins away, there's very few upscale shopping options there aside from Coach which recently opened, and frankly it's starting to turn ghetto. That drives people away, and I think Shops on Main can capitalize on that portion of the customer base from Westfield. As with most things in Northwest Indiana, plans may stall or be delayed. But even if this is opened in the Spring of 2015, that would be a huge addition to the area.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM

27 posts, read 23,816 times
Anyone know what they are building next to the pepsi plant?'

Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
Anyone know what they are building next to the pepsi plant?'
They tore down a large section of the south warehouse and are refacing the facade of that building in (what I call) Mustard and Brown brick. They were supposed to build retail frontage as part of the project (including a grocery anchor) however, the new plans on the real estate website shows just a multi-level modern office building.

In addition to this, a new article was just published that stated that there will be several new restaurants built on the Lake Business Center Site...Stay tuned!

Tax Increment Financing helps Munster move forward

Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 AM

6,271 posts, read 5,350,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
and frankly it's starting to turn ghetto.
You will hear certain people say this about Westfield Southlake. You'll hear just as many people say it about Orland Square. It's misleading to make it sound like it's inferior or unsafe.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You will hear certain people say this about Westfield Southlake. You'll hear just as many people say it about Orland Square. It's misleading to make it sound like it's inferior or unsafe.
Mall to Mall, the only advantage that Southlake has over Orland is lower taxes...that's it...Orland Square has the upper end of middle tier store locations and many of their stores carry the largest and best selection of their items compared to their other locations. I would say Southlake is definitely inferior to Orland. When you look at the general shopping areas, then Orland definitely beats Merrillville hands down.

Some people are saying that Orland is going downhill as some people say the same about Merrillville. However, with Orland, it is mostly limited to the clientele that the mall attracts sometimes (and the fact that there is a bus route from Cal City to Orland mall to mall) and NOT as much about the offerings at Orland...for Southlake, it appears to be both about the lack of offerings and much of the clientele that southlake has been attracting.

Orland has attracted Dave&Busters as well as Cheesecake Factory....the biggest things that Southlake has attracted is Coach and Cooper's Hawk (both of which were long already at Orland as well as other locations). Southlake has somewhat of a monopoly for most of NWI, but if Shops on Main gets built or Porter's Vale attracts more upscale retailers, the southlake area will definitely take a hit.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 PM

Default Update

Well as I had sepculated, Boyer was waiting until completion of Munster Shops to begin to work on the Schererville project. I would say that we shall be hearing very significant news in the months to come!

Schererville Plan Commission reviews Shops on Main plans

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
the sign for chipotle has just been put up...so there goes your "skepticism"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana