U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most prefer to see new upscale lifestyle shopping center in?
Munster 5 41.67%
Schererville 2 16.67%
Dyer 0 0%
St. John 1 8.33%
Crown Point 2 16.67%
None 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 PM

2,088 posts, read 4,236,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And btw, I see Indiana license plates in Matteson, Chicago Heights, Homewood, etc. all the time..

I think the main reason NWI residents cross the state line is for work. Yes, I know that wasn't the context of the conversation though..

Your statements aren't entirely true though. Munster is closer to Cal City than Merrillville or Scherillville. As in one is down the street and the other like 15 or 20 minutes away. This means that for chains such as Hooters, it's actually easier to cross the state line than to venture further out. Calumet Ave is practically in Illinois and Torrence is practically in Indiana... Calumet Avenue even has the same name as Calumet City.

And although your model of The NWI Resident as someone who "grew up in the south suburbs" may successfully rile up Allen, it's really only a faction of the population.. It's a significant segment of the population but if it was put up for a vote, the NWI residents who DON'T fit this model would actually win in a landslide..
The northern area of Munster is closer to Cal City than Schererville but not the southern area. Schererville borders Munster and the area of Schererville where most of the shopping is is in the area that is closest to the Munster border (but actually borders Highland). I didn't say the "NWI Resident" I said "a large percentage of people in the Munster/Highland/Schererville area" grew up in the south suburb, which is true. Notice, not ALL of NWI but mainly the towns I listed.

The name "Calumet" refers to the region as a whole, not just calumet city. Calumet Avenue is also a major road that cuts from the southwest area of Valparaiso to the Northeast area of Valparaiso..

Also, as I stated before, while Munster is geographically nearer to Cal City than further areas in Schererville and Merrillville, many residents shop in Indiana over Illinois MOST of the time except when it comes to upscale options in which they would go to the areas of the suburbs that can accomodate.

When I said "the main reason" I meant as far as in the context of this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Update: More RE-development!

Kind of saw this coming, but it seems for sure that Boyer is going to redevelop the other side of Calumet for a "Munster Shops II" type of development. It will probably be mostly businesses that already occupy the area, but who knows? We may get some new places!

Munster to issue new EDC bonds

Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Default Called it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing as you...when I read the article, I was thinking about some shopping centers that I have seen in places like Florida that LOOK very high end but are filled with low to mid-tier shopping...did you notice that one of the approvals was for an auto parts retailer (because it had to be included in the zoning?)...nothing high end about that...for some reason, the following stores that will possibly locate there (some unfortunate) came to mind:

DSW
Burlington Coat Factory
Ross Dress for Less
Rue 21
Justice
Men's Warehouse (not so bad)
K&G

Not that these places in and of themselves are bad...but the goal is to be DIFFERENT...i would rather the area stay undeveloped than be redeveloped with mediocre places.
Well there is a big ole' sign saying that Ross Dress for Less is coming soon to the Shops on Main...kind of indifferent on it...on the one hand, there is the Ross stores in Merrillville, Calumet City, and Matteson that are locating in less-than-impressive shopping centers...then there are locations such as the Ross store in Orland Park (at Orland Park Place) that is adjacent to Nordstrom Rack and other stores such as the ones located at Highland Grove. Maybe this will attract more new (as in not already in Merrillville or Calumet City) retailers to the area.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM

767 posts, read 1,844,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Well there is a big ole' sign saying that Ross Dress for Less is coming soon to the Shops on Main...kind of indifferent on it...on the one hand, there is the Ross stores in Merrillville, Calumet City, and Matteson that are locating in less-than-impressive shopping centers...then there are locations such as the Ross store in Orland Park (at Orland Park Place) that is adjacent to Nordstrom Rack and other stores such as the ones located at Highland Grove. Maybe this will attract more new (as in not already in Merrillville or Calumet City) retailers to the area.
Look on the bright side. Ross has other locations in Naperville in Fox River Commons, in Skokie very close to Old Orchard Mall, and in Darien too. I know it's not your ideal high-end retailer, but it's not like they only open in low-income shopping areas.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Look on the bright side. Ross has other locations in Naperville in Fox River Commons, in Skokie very close to Old Orchard Mall, and in Darien too. I know it's not your ideal high-end retailer, but it's not like they only open in low-income shopping areas.
Yeaaaa I realize that but those areas had the higher-end retailers before they got Ross..i guess some people would think that is a bad thing...I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing at all. I just hope we get more different types of places. There are already many repeat retailers between Highland/Schererville and Schererville/Merrillville. We need some FRESH offerings!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Update

New restaurants, more coming to Munster

The two restaurants were already speculated but hopefully they are more of a reality now. As far as retail though? Who knows...I do know that a bank was supposed to locate in this development.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
hi.........
it is a very good place for shopping and for starting anew business also...
business of hotels and resort is very cool and profitable.....

Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Update

Well I guess we could officially say it is "official"!

Meatheads, Noodles & Co. coming to Munster

Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 AM

Default Well...

Hopefully a nice restaurant replaces this one! With all the development going on (two new restaurants, the hospital and hotel and Lake Business Center) this should be a prime spot!

The Charley Horse Restaurant to ride off into sunset

Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 AM

Thumbs up Back to Bed

Back to Bed is finally setting up shop in the The Munster Shops (in between Anthem Senior Care and Five Guys). They were supposed to be there in the early stages of the project, but there were some delays.

This now means that the Munster Shops is 100% leased and with what many would call solid quality tenants with a mix of national chains and mom & pop. Successful indeed.

Hopefully the next phases across Calumet will be great as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana