Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most prefer to see new upscale lifestyle shopping center in?
Munster 5 41.67%
Schererville 2 16.67%
Dyer 0 0%
St. John 1 8.33%
Crown Point 2 16.67%
None 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
No problem at all! I always enjoy discussing topics such as these, seeing as how I do have a little bit of brand consciousness in me..

I do agree with you that some of the stores listed could be supported in NWI.

H&M is one that comes to mind. It's not exactly cheap, but it's not exorbitantly priced either. Although it isn't exactly an uppity store, it still retains a reputation for being somewhat exclusive and trendy. Depending on the fashion consciousness of other residents of NWI, it could be a success or a failure.

Apple probably wouldn't open a store in NWI. If you look at most of Apple's locations, they are generally in higher-income areas. Also, like you said, they sell Macs at Best Buy, and iPods at most major retailers (think Target, Walmart, etc). Would there really be a business case for Apple to locate here, especially considering the amount of places one can find Apple products already?

Coach is in the same boat as Apple. Yes, it's possible to find Coach products at River Oaks (and Southlake to an extent) but an independent store probably isn't likely. Independent stores cator to niche markets and people who MUST get their products from the actual vendor. NWI citizens as a whole really aren't like that. I'm not saying they don't exist, just not in large enough numbers to support an independent store. It's the same reason why you might be able to find TR jeans in River Oaks, but you'd never see an actual TR store there.

I'm not a girl, so I don't know too much about forever 21, but if does seem like a possibility.

Von Maur is on par with most of Macy's. Like you said, department stores stock according to the demographics. Based on the Macy's store in Southlake, Von Maur would probably not be the upscale store you're envisioning. They would probably try to cater to unfilled niches in the area, but overall the store would offer solid, middle-class to mid-upper class offerings (hopefully moreso than Macy's).

I definitely agree with you about the restaurant department. There are quite a few nice small-business type eateries around the area, but as a whole chain restaurants are on top. P.F. Chang's may possibly work. Buca di Beppo would also be a nice addition, as well as a Cheesecake Factory and possibly a Texas de Brazil or something along those lines.

Trader Joes would probably work in Munster. It seems like a solid grocery chain.

And I totally agree that rail transit is long overdue to our suburbs. As a matter of fact, ANY type of public transportation is long overdue. If you look on the Illinois side, METRA, PACE, etc all venture into nearby suburbs for commuters, while we're still forced to drive to a South Shore station and hop on. It's not inaccessible, but it's not also the best route for public transit either. NWI definitely needs to get into a public transportation culture, because traffic is only going to get worse.

I don't think an actual mall would work on Calumet Avenue. I'm not sure how big the Lake Central Business District is, but it doesn't look too big (I'm probably mistaken). Furthermore, Orland may have a nice mall, but traffic is horrible, especially since it's only two lanes in each direction. With all of those stores and all of that traffic, It would be a nightmare for the homes along that street. That brings up another point - Munster isn't exactly a retail mecca. Calumet still has houses along the street by the library and that large church. Most malls/shopping centers (think Merrillville for us) are surrounded by more retail and big box stores. It would be very hard to expand the road, since the area is built out, and homes are nearby. Highland and Shererville (Indianapolis Boulevard) are much more ideal for a lifestyle center/mall - which is why Shops on Main and Oak Street Commons (is that what it's called?) were planned to be built along this area. There are a couple of houses along the street still, but they wouldn't necessarily affect the surrounding neighborhood if they were to go. Furthermore, there are no extremely close neighborhoods in the vicinity, so expanding the road would be more manageable.

I think Munster should work on establishing itself as a premier restaurant destination for the area. Calumet Ave past Main street would be a great location. It would increase traffic, but it seems a lot more manageable than a mall. There are already quite a few offices in the area, so a lunch break within a manageable distance doesn't seem too bad.
You bring up a very good point in saying that a single vendor of a brand may not be likely (in regards to Apple and Coach)...it would be nice, but maybe not very likely. However, I hope that we get a good anchor (Von Maur or something) that would carry these items for sure. You are right...chances are it would probably be a little more higher end than the Southlake Macy's, but by no means 100% high end. The income in Munster as well as Schererville and Dyer would support much "higher fashion" than found at River Oaks and Southlake (given the areas they are in)...Also, I am going to add St. John into this too because the proposed shopping centers would be much closer to them than going to the mall (and they have a high income level to support the stores too).

In regards to Forever 21, I am not a girl either lol. But my girlfriend lOVES to shop there and when i buy her the occasional gift, I would rather not have to drive all the way to Orland AND pay their high sales tax to support THEIR community It still is [sometimes] a fun trip though!

Regarding the roads, they have planned to widen Calumet Avenue to create a consistent middle turn lane from Fishers (by the hospital) to the 45th & Calumet intersection (along with the long awaited underpass). These road project has been approved and Munster has taken steps by burying the overhead power lines. Also, Lake Business Center is 75 acres and the proposed Munster Town Center was going to be 600,000 sq feet of retail, restaurants, and a commuter train station incorporated into the design. Speaking of restaurants, I agree that all of those restaurants would be great if they came (especially Cheesecake Factory).

Haha, you are 100% right that Munster is no retail mecca...it is actually sad though...sad because in all reality, I think the BEST idea would be to REVAMP the downtown Munster district and make shopping available there (boutique style) and a train station on Ridge & Manor...traffic would be horrendous, but it would draw people to town and could put Munster on the map! Although the downtown area will be beautified, I feel as though more needs to be done to it. The problem is that the Northwest section of Munster has quite an image problem right now (with some continuous petty crime and a couple murders a few years ago--isolated and solved incidents)...ANYWAY...this is what I honestly feel...If Schererville finally gets those retail projects showing, then I feel that Munster's main focus should be revamping downtown, and making it THE town center of Munster (with a commuter station). A revised Comprehensive plan should be out soon so we will see what has been changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Default One Step Closer!

So far, so good!

Panera Bread, Munster Shops a bit closer

Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM

37 posts, read 67,048 times
Hi guys!

Found this thread interesting. I have read through all the comments and must say that I agree with most of them. Based on what i have read and what people have told me, I agree that Munster is a great location for some high-end shopping. I am moving here soon and I would rather not have to drive to Orland or Oak Brook for good shopping! Southlake won't cut it (and from what it sounds like, it's getting worse). We should all rally some companies to bring some stores here! We should e-mail them telling about the demographics and such. When I lived in Carmel, we did that with some stores and it worked! Now that I am moving up here, I feel that there is enough pull to get things going! What do you all think?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM

17,418 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToMunster View Post
Now that I am moving up here, I feel that there is enough pull to get things going! What do you all think?
Seriously?

This is one hella funny post.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM

37 posts, read 67,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Seriously?

This is one hella funny post.
I forgot to put the "" when I wrote that comment. I was trying to [sarcastically] state that if Carmel can do it, so can Munster. Obviously it wouldn't make much sense to say that as the towns are in different states of development (i.e. population, growth potential, etc.), over 100 miles apart from each other,and are facing complex, yet somewhat different challenges (as I know and have been told). I just wanted to feel like I am contributing to Munster in a way . But in all seriousness, I think that all citizens who are interested should seriously lobby for some high-end shopping to come to Munster.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I'm just wondering what anyone could possibly mean by calling Southlake Mall "ghetto"? I've been there twice this year, after not having been there in a long time. It felt perfectly nice and safe and it's expanded to the point where I think it actually has more stores than Orland Square. My daughter was dissapointed with the fact there was no Forever 21 but other than that she liked it a lot too.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm just wondering what anyone could possibly mean by calling Southlake Mall "ghetto"? I've been there twice this year, after not having been there in a long time. It felt perfectly nice and safe and it's expanded to the point where I think it actually has more stores than Orland Square. My daughter was dissapointed with the fact there was no Forever 21 but other than that she liked it a lot too.
I think people just think it is becoming "ghetto" because there are usually a lot of black kids [in groups] walking through the mall...although sometimes kids in general [of all races/ethnicities] can be rowdy, it seems as though when they are a minority and are rowdy, it raises a flag to people perhaps because of the many negative stereotypes associated with various groups. I do not think that the mall is ghetto by any means, but it definitely does not really compare to Orland. Also, the other "mall", Orland Park Place across the street [with Nordstrom rack, Dick's, etc] in addition to Orland Square Mall itself really blows any shopping in NWI out of the water. Had we gotten the Munster Town Center, Oak Street Commons, or Shops on Main, I would say that maybe the area could be a good rival to Orland...but right now? Not a chance. If NWI wants to continue to pride itself as a good alternative to living in Illinois, we have some serious upgrading to do!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 PM

38 posts, read 124,840 times
I wouldn't buy anything by that stank a55 landfill. Not that I live in NWIN anymore anyway, but when I visit family/friends I would refuse to shop by a heap of stinky garbage.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanD80 View Post
I wouldn't buy anything by that stank a55 landfill. Not that I live in NWIN anymore anyway, but when I visit family/friends I would refuse to shop by a heap of stinky garbage.
Ummm...that "stank a55 landfill" is now a $17 million park with a 9 hole golf course and driving range. It kinda still smells a little but that will be taken care of soon. And the area is really getting built up. So obviously the smell doesn't affect much.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM

38 posts, read 124,840 times
Yes, I remember when they were building the park. Lots of people laughed about it. It's like trying to polish a turd. What kind of parent subjects their kids to a park like that?

It's not just about smell, it's about inhaling toxins and that's not only unsafe for children but adults too. 17 million dollar waste is more like it. The money would be better spent on cracking down on the heroin problem in Munster. Yes, there is one. Landfills produce methane gas, leachate, phenols, heavy metals, pesticides, toluene, ammonia, dioxins, PCBs, benzene, and endocrine-disrupters. YES TAKE YOUR KIDS THERE! GOLF THERE! Anyone that goes there obviously knows nothing about science.

My father golfs all the time, he would NEVER consider golfing there. None of his golfing buddies would either. I don't know why you're defending such a ridiculous park/project. Everyone I know laughs about it and thinks it's the stupidest idea. Anyone with a functioning brain knows it is detrimental to ones health to inhale the toxic fumes at a dump. Whenever I drove past it I held my breath the best I could.
Health and fitness across the street too! Ha, well that's corporate America for you.

Check out the EPA site for more info to enlighten you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana