U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 12,318 times
Default The Best Apartments to live in Gary (Miller) Indiana

I am relocating to Gary in March of 2010. I am checking out Lakeshore Dunes Apartments where I lived as a child before I moved to Dallas, Texas in 2005. I am wondering is Lakeshore Dunes still a good place to live? Do they have good security? Will I be safe out there? Are they maintained good? If not, then what would be the best apartments to live at? I would appreciate your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 12,318 times
I guess no one knows. Living in Merrillville or Portage might be best.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 AM

265 posts, read 569,850 times
There are some reviews here: Lakeshore Dunes - Google Maps

More here: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...ore-Dunes.html

I can't give you a first hand perspective, having never lived in Gary.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM

195 posts, read 290,617 times
Well, Lakeshore Dunes aren't as prestigious as they were say. . . 20 years ago, but they're not as bad as the other places. It just costs too much to live there. I've had a bunch of friends who moved there, but had to move to cheaper places.

You really only have 3 options.

The overpriced Lakeshore Dunes, which are becoming less and less what they used to be (kind of a nice gated community with swimming pools and basketball courts)

The super ghetto "Marquette Apartments", which are one step from being the projects.

And Woodlake Village. That's your best bet.

It's kind of out of the way on the border next to Porter County, but it's kind of protected because it's out of the way.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,524 times
Really whether you live in Gary, Merrillville, Portage, or where ever you choose, there is crime everywhere not just in Gary. I was born and raised in Gary, and its not as crime ridden as people make it out to be. Sure its the murder capital a whopping 95 deaths last year for a population of over one hundred thousand, yeah reallly makes sense to me. Anyhow, Lake Shore dunes is overpriced simply because the amenities aren't equating to the price. I understand that as things get more expensive, they have to go up, but you have more choices where apartments are concerned. Woodlake Village in my opinion is a poor choice if you are single seeing that its secluded. Look in the Merrillville area, apartments there are comparable in price with Lake Shore Dunes, and the safety there is about the same. Actually I didn't become a victim of a crime (car theft) until I moved to Merrillville. Happy hunting, be blessed.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,044 times
why in the world would you want to live in Gary? I wouldn't live there for free in a MILLION Dollar home!!! YUCK!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
This place is TERRIBLE! I was MISLEAD into moving there with my 2 young daughters. There is a lot of shooting, gangbanging, loitering in and out of the buildings, robberies as well as burlgaries. If u contact the Gary Police Dept you will find all of this to be true. No wonder they have a $99 move- in special. Just as quick as you move in you will be moving out.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM

195 posts, read 290,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown434 View Post
Really whether you live in Gary, Merrillville, Portage, or where ever you choose, there is crime everywhere not just in Gary. I was born and raised in Gary, and its not as crime ridden as people make it out to be. Sure its the murder capital a whopping 95 deaths last year for a population of over one hundred thousand, yeah reallly makes sense to me. Anyhow, Lake Shore dunes is overpriced simply because the amenities aren't equating to the price. I understand that as things get more expensive, they have to go up, but you have more choices where apartments are concerned. Woodlake Village in my opinion is a poor choice if you are single seeing that its secluded. Look in the Merrillville area, apartments there are comparable in price with Lake Shore Dunes, and the safety there is about the same. Actually I didn't become a victim of a crime (car theft) until I moved to Merrillville. Happy hunting, be blessed.
Gary hasn't been the murder capital in like a decade and crime has steadily fallen for 15 years now.

There was only 49 murders in Gary in 2009.
Indy.com | Post: Homicide rate in Gary is lowest in 2 decades | Indianapolis, Indiana

But you never see this broadcasted.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 PM

931 posts, read 898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Gary hasn't been the murder capital in like a decade and crime has steadily fallen for 15 years now.

There was only 49 murders in Gary in 2009.
Indy.com | Post: Homicide rate in Gary is lowest in 2 decades | Indianapolis, Indiana

But you never see this broadcasted.
It's still the highest per capita when it comes to cities of its size, however.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 AM

5 posts, read 8,936 times
Really no where in Gary is livable. I hear even Portage is going down hill. Stick with Valparaiso or anywhere South of US 30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana