U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 10,680 times
Default Recommended Communitiesfor Work in Michigan City?

It is very likely I will be looking at a job transfer from the Kansas City area(Overland Park, KS) to a job in Michigan City. I'd appreciate some recommendations for good communities nearby. Our children are of college age so schools are not critical. However, we do know quality of life and good schools go hand in hand. We want to be near excellent shopping and restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

My guess is that to have access to what we currently enjoy, we'll need to be closer to Chicago. For example, we love Costco. There seems to be only one of those in NW, Indiana. Odd as it may seem, this one establishment seems to provide a good locator that is supported by the recommendations of the nearby communities recommended in other posts.

I've read through the forums and read of some good areas for those commuting into Chicago, such as Crown Point, Chesterton, and Valpo. With the job in Michigan City, is there another set of communities I should be considering? What of Michigan City itself? Should the South Bend area be considered?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,535,215 times
I'd suggest Chesterton.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 28,239 times
I agree with Domergurl. With what you've described, Chesterton is probably the town that you'd want to look at. Valparaiso is also very nice, with a great downtown area. I would avoid living in Michigan City. For a town with so much potential and so close to the lake, it's really not very nice. And if you want easy access to Chicago, don't go further east than Michigan City.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 10,680 times
OK, consensus is nice. I got two thumbs up for Chesterton. I appreciate the responses.

I'd like to invite anyone to point out good developments/neighborhoods in the Chesterton or Valpo areas, especially those with home in the $275-$325k price range.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,535,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodajones View Post
OK, consensus is nice. I got two thumbs up for Chesterton. I appreciate the responses.

I'd like to invite anyone to point out good developments/neighborhoods in the Chesterton or Valpo areas, especially those with home in the $275-$325k price range.
you can go to Welcome to gniarlms.com - Search Results for "gniarlms.com" to see what's available in Chesterton.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM

3,524 posts, read 4,522,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodajones View Post

There are literally tons of properties available in that price point in Chesterton & Valparaiso. You shouldn't have a problem finding something that suits you perfectly.

And domergurl is right, www.gniarlmls.com is the Realtor's public portal to NWI's MLS. In NWI, this should be the only site you use to search as it shows you exactly what the agents see - obviously with the exception of personal/private info of the seller.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,130 times
Three thumbs up now. Chesterton is a really good place to live.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,103,625 times
Make that four for Chesterton -- close to Valpo for conveniences, and you have easy access to the South Shore to get into downtown Chicago.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 PM

124 posts, read 272,878 times
IMO Michigan City is not a good place for job markets. I used to live there and hated it. I'll recommend Chesterton like everyone else.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 AM

33,954 posts, read 6,509,790 times
Another Vote for Chesterton; northern Valparaiso also a good choice. Both are in Porter County. (Michigan City is in LaPorte County.) Tons of real estate in your price range to choose from. Excellent buyer's market right now in Porter Co. I live near downtown Valparaiso, and it's one of the best downtowns you'll find anywhere. It's thriving, with plenty of excellent restaurants and shops, plus two community theatres. Downtown Chesterton has a couple of nice restaurants, but there's not much in C'ton in the way of shopping, and no movie theatre. You'd need to go to Valpo for that (15- to 25-minute drive, depending on what part of Chesterton you're in.) Michigan City has a fabulous outlet mall, Lighthouse Place. Also, Michigan City is just a stone's throw from SW Michigan - tons of fabulous restaurants and quaint towns to explore. I just wouldn't recommend taking up residence in Michigan City. It has some nice areas, but more not-so-nice. Another plus for Chesterton is that there's a South Shore train station there, with frequent trains into downtown Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana