U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 41,876 times

Advertisements

I personally take the South Shore train from the East Chicago stop up to Chicago every day for work from my Schererville home. Door to door its about an hour and 20 mins one way.

I know this is long, but I wanted to get a feel if anyone else has this type of commute, or longer? What is the total door to door one way commute time for some of you who work in Chicago?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 AM

111 posts, read 282,120 times
I've heard of people commuting from as far away as LaPorte. I'll bet that's close to two hours.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,865,834 times
when I lived in Grayslake, Illinois ... taking the train was 2 hours door to door.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,304,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitseff View Post
I personally take the South Shore train from the East Chicago stop up to Chicago every day for work from my Schererville home. Door to door its about an hour and 20 mins one way.

I know this is long, but I wanted to get a feel if anyone else has this type of commute, or longer? What is the total door to door one way commute time for some of you who work in Chicago?
There are plenty of people who have you beat easily. I'm not one of them, but have heard of people taking the train from Chesterton/Portage and as far as Michigan City/LaPorte.

It can be worse even within Lake County, if people commute from Southern parts of Dyer, St John, CP, Cedar Lake or Lowell.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,323 times
I dont understand commuting that distance. I would rather live near my job that makes things so simple.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,394,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikcyzrteip View Post
I dont understand commuting that distance. I would rather live near my job that makes things so simple.
Yeah well if I could save a few hundred thousand dollars on a house,pay lower sales taxes,property taxes,etc. by sacrificing a few hours commute time per day to do it I would.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 41,876 times
Avengefire is exactly right... living downtown gets old, it's inconvenient in every way possible, and the real estate is frankly just not worth it at all. i wanted a house, which obviously means no city. so it's either nwi or the chicago suburbs... i've done plenty of research, and the house i have right now would easily cost double in illinois, with significantly higher taxes. also, schererville and many of the towns in lake county are actually closer than many of the well known Chicago suburbs such as Naperville, Lake Forrest, Barrington, Elgin, Auroura, etc. So to get a nice house for half the price, it's worth a little bit longer to me and any other reasonable individual.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,865,834 times
we lived downtown ... and I couldn't imagine having kids down there unless we were ka-jillionaires.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,309 times
Default Longest Commute to Chicago

I live in Newton County, the county south of Lake County. A lot of the men down here drive up to the steel mills every day for work, and I know of quite a few people who work in downtown Chicago. Average commute is one and a half to two hours each way. It's no big deal, you get used to it after a while...gives you time to think, or time to catch up on phone calls. Taxes and cost of living are much lower down here, its out of the rat race, and no crime. If anyone wants to buy my house (on 11 acres), give me a holler!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,370,597 times
I've heard of people commuting from South Bend on the South Shore into Chicago, and that involves a different time zone. That sure makes for a long day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana