U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: After reading the article/attending meetings, which option appeals the most to you AND seems the mos
Option A 0 0%
Option B1 0 0%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option C 0 0%
Option D1 1 16.67%
Option D2 1 16.67%
Option E 0 0%
Option F 1 16.67%
None 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 PM
 
767 posts, read 1,843,951 times
Reputation: 519

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Collisimo View Post
I don't understand how Munster, Highland,Hammond,Griffith,Hobart and other surrounding communities have the tax base base to support a high school in their own town yet Scherrerville cannot. I have heard all kinds of excuses such as they don't have the land and the state of Indiana won't help fund it but I am skeptical of those claims. St.John and Dyer should have LC. Despite the recent referendum rejection no plans or options have been presented to include Scherrerville having their own high school.
Ok. I believe this has been described before, but I'm happy to explain. Funding for the operational costs for schools does not come from "tax base" or anything of the sort. Starting in 2008, each school district's operating funds switched from being funded primarily from real estate taxes to almost exclusively by the state at the state's discretion. There are different categorizations of money which per Indiana state law can not be commingled. The general fund's money is used mostly to pay teachers, but also to pay things like utility bills. The general fund of each school district is Indiana is almost entirely funded by the state of Indiana. The equation that is used is very secretive and the fairness of it is questioned by almost everyone I've talked to, both those within the Lake Central district and others. The Lake Central School Corporation receives the 7th lowest amount per student (I believe roughly $4500 per student) in the entire state compared to other districts. For what it's worth, Gary actually receives more than $7,000 per student, so you see the differences are drastic. Due to the minimal amount of funding being provided by the state, the district has had to cut to the bone in any way possible, including letting go of many teachers and aides.

So, the question is, if hypothetically there were to be a new high school built (which would be voted on and paid for by the taxpayers via a capital projects referendum), they would also need about $6 million more in order to cover the operating costs for the same reasons, to pay teachers and bills. If the district is barely getting by with the current expenses, if you add a whole new high school to the mix, where would this additional $6 million come from in order to operate that school?

There are really no excuses being made and frankly there is nothing to be skeptical of either. These are just the facts and this is how it works. The school district is putting forth the most feasible plan possible given the current structure of education funding in the state of Indiana right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 AM
 
2,088 posts, read 4,235,232 times
Reputation: 1384
THE DREAM: I think the dream would be for Schererville to get it's own high school while still updating and renovating Lake Central...however, not only can we not do both right now, we cannot even add a Schererville High School

THE REALITY: SOMETHING needs to be done right now with the current Lake Central building before ANY new school gets built. While I would be mostly in favor of building a second high school, I am still 100% behind the plan of redoing Lake Central and Protsman Elementary. Something needs to be done now to keep LC a viable option for families long-term!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,687 times
Reputation: 14
The fight then needs to go to the state and the Governor. The fact is that Scherrerville has enough land to build a high school and the state can allocate the money if they wanted too. The size of LC is too big and it will only continue to grow as the area becomes more densely populated. So what then do we do in 15 years when overcrowding and improvements becomes the issue? If this referendum fails and I suspect it will then that will again reinforce my argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 PM
 
767 posts, read 1,843,951 times
Reputation: 519
Tony - Since your post had several points to it that I wanted to respond to, I broke them up into multiple sections and responded below each:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Collisimo View Post
The fight then needs to go to the state and the Governor.
There is a fight going on by many school districts between them and the state/Governor. However, the state has the final say and they don't appear to be changing anything any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Collisimo View Post
The fact is that Scherrerville has enough land to build a high school and the state can allocate the money if they wanted too.
Actually, the fact is that the state cannot (or does not want to) allocate the money, despite the fact that Schererville does have enough land. The lack of state funding to is what caused Crown Point to turn to a referendum to bridge the gap in the general fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Collisimo View Post
The size of LC is too big and it will only continue to grow as the area becomes more densely populated.
No one would dispute that LC High School is big, but "too big" is a very subjective term. Too big for what? Some of the best high schools in the state are bigger than Lake Central. Lake Central right now has scores well above state average despite it's size and horrible learning facilities. Actually, the #1 high school in the state of Indiana, Carmel High School down by Indy holds about 4400 students. People are crawling over eachother's back to get into that high school. There are several examples of big high schools performing very well. Penn High School in Mishawaka is another big high school that does very well academically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Collisimo View Post
So what then do we do in 15 years when overcrowding and improvements becomes the issue?
Stats have shown that the tri-town area's population increase is not growing the same rate that it did in the late 1990s and early to mid 2000s. It's the population explosion that has already taken place that needs to be addressed by renovating the school and making it large enough to handle the ~3300 kids that go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Collisimo View Post
If this referendum fails and I suspect it will then that will again reinforce my argument.
What exactly is your argument? I'm still not clear on that. I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin here but I hope that my answers/responses to your claims have clarified a few things. If you or anyone else wants any more information on the need for these renovations, take a look at www.supportlakecentral.com.

I'd be happy to discuss this more with you. Also, do you live in the tri-town area? I noticed you were a Lansing cop.

Last edited by svillechris; 10-12-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: St. John, IN
33 posts, read 105,762 times
Reputation: 21
The FAQ is still not up on the Friends of LC website. Anybody know if it will be up before the election? That might be helpful.

Also, is there a detailed breakdown of the costs of the referendum anywhere? There was one in the Times before the last referendum. I haven't been able to find one for this one. The things I didn't like about the last referendum were the things other than schools, like the bus barn, the admin building, the football field, etc. I see that the bus barn and admin building are not in this referendum, but what about the others? Is this all spelled out somewhere, easily available to potential voters?

Disclaimer: I have a senior at LC now and another child in 7th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
 
767 posts, read 1,843,951 times
Reputation: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocostimpy View Post
The FAQ is still not up on the Friends of LC website. Anybody know if it will be up before the election? That might be helpful.

Also, is there a detailed breakdown of the costs of the referendum anywhere? There was one in the Times before the last referendum. I haven't been able to find one for this one. The things I didn't like about the last referendum were the things other than schools, like the bus barn, the admin building, the football field, etc. I see that the bus barn and admin building are not in this referendum, but what about the others? Is this all spelled out somewhere, easily available to potential voters?

Disclaimer: I have a senior at LC now and another child in 7th grade.
I too am a bit frustrated at that the FAQ section of the website is not up. I've spoken with the leaders of Friends of LC and the administration though, so I'm relatively familiar with the details of the plan if you have any specific questions.

I don't have a breakdown of all of the costs that are itemized in any way, but I can answer some of your other questions. The bus barn, the admin building, and the football field are NOT part of this plan. This plan is entirely student and community focused, and there's really no fluff in this one like there was in the 2009 plan. Some people might say that the pool is fluff, but I think it's in such bad shape it wouldn't be wise to renovate the entire school, but keep a very non-structurally sound pool in place. Also, the pool will be opened up to the entire community and will be the Tri-Town Community Pool during times that LC swimmers or students are not using it.

It sounds like you've already been to the website, but if you watch the Solution to Lake Central High School and Protsman video clips, that shows everything that will be done to both schools. At the high school, it's a complete renovation of the entire school with the exception of the Freshman Center, which is completely adequate and does not need to be redone. As you and your son probably know all too well, the high school is overcrowded. More than anything, this plan resolves that problem.

I've commented on this topic a few times, so I too should probably throw out my disclaimer. I myself have no affiliation with the school corporation. I don't work for the schools or anything like that and I don't have any kids in this school corporation yet, just a resident of the district that thinks great public schools are the backbone of any great community.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Last edited by svillechris; 10-18-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: St. John, IN
33 posts, read 105,762 times
Reputation: 21
Thanks for the explanation. It's all the extraneous stuff that I was wondering about. In the last referendum I felt that a lot of that kind of stuff was sort of hidden. You had to look for it to see that it was included in the plan, and I think most people won't seek it out.

If the point is about creating a better and more efficient atmosphere for the students to learn in, a new admin building and bus barn won't help in that regard. While those things may, arguably, be needed by the school system as a whole, they won't directly have any effect on the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM
 
767 posts, read 1,843,951 times
Reputation: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocostimpy View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It's all the extraneous stuff that I was wondering about. In the last referendum I felt that a lot of that kind of stuff was sort of hidden. You had to look for it to see that it was included in the plan, and I think most people won't seek it out.

If the point is about creating a better and more efficient atmosphere for the students to learn in, a new admin building and bus barn won't help in that regard. While those things may, arguably, be needed by the school system as a whole, they won't directly have any effect on the students.

I couldn't agree with you more. I know that A LOT of people voted the last referendum down because of that reason and that reason alone. There was unnecessary fluff that doesn't impact the quality of education for the students and they didn't want to pay for that. That's a stance that I totally understand. If I had lived here in 2009 and voted on that, I probably would have taken that same stance. The other main reason it got voted down was because it was just applying band-aids to the high school, and didn't address the problem of overcrowding in the classrooms, labs, and hallways. This plan does that with the total rebuilding of an adequately sized school.

Thankfully, as I explained in my other post, in this proposal the only facilities getting a renovation are the high school and Protsman. So, all money spent will be going towards upgrading student experience and learning environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM
 
Location: St. John, IN
33 posts, read 105,762 times
Reputation: 21
I'm going to call shenenigans here. The FAQ is still not up on the Friends of LC page and today is voting day. Either they're woefully unprepared for their campaign or they're trying to hide the details from people. At this point I'm really not sure. I never did find a breakdown of all of the aspects of the proposal like I did for the last referendum. You would think that they would want to provide more information than people need to make their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
 
767 posts, read 1,843,951 times
Reputation: 519
I'll share my personal speculation and belief on this. I know for a fact that the administration, school board, and those who will have a say on where the money will be spent do NOT have control over this website. The website is controlled entirely by the leader of the Friends of LC campaign, who is not affiliated with the school district or administration. He has full reigns of the campaign and the website.

I personally believe that he hasn't put up that part of the website for a specific reason. I do NOT think it's to hide anything or do deceive anybody, honestly. He is the only person who knows what the pre-polling data (from canvassing and calling) has resulted in and he knows the breakdown of votes based on that information. Other people have guesses and there are rumors, but he is the only person who knows as of right now.

So, based on that information, I feel that he knows that currently the proposal is on pace to pass. Therefore, he does not want to take a risk of posting the FAQ portion of the website, have someone see one minor detail or one smaller aspect of cost allocation and change their opinion to a No vote. That's my personal opinion on why he hasn't put it up yet, and I know of other people who share that opinion. But, more than anything I did want to clarify that it's not the administration that controls the website, and therefore I don't believe that anything is being purposely hidden from the voters. In fact, the administration DID want that page posted a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top