Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 14,852 times

Advertisements

So, we are looking to move to Valparaiso, IN in late June/early July. Any information about the area would be helpful! (ex: better parts of town, apartments, bad parts etc) Or any suggestions on what apartments we should look at, would also be helpful!

Thanks

Last edited by jdarrowcoast; 04-06-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM

17,399 posts, read 14,631,586 times
If you are looking for the Valpo school system, you need to stay in Center Township. Simply having a Valpo address doesn't equal Valpo schools.

There are rentals listed on craigslist, but this is a town where by far the largest amount of rentals are not advertised in any sort of media - you'll find the bulk of properties by yard signs.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
Valparaiso is a great town, no questions asked. I grew up there and went to high school at VHS. Chuckity is right, the rentals are probably few and far between. Have you considered buying? Right now, you can get pretty good deals on some houses, even in Valpo.

There really are no "bad parts" to Valpo. There may be some that are a little less affluent than others, but none that I would consider bad or dangerous. Honestly the "nice" parts are spread out throughout the town where there is nice subdivision after nice subdivision. If you have a family, the Valpo schools are among the best in the area. Let's just say you could do far worse than living in Valpo, regardless what part of the town you decide to live in.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
I live in Valpo and love it! I own an older home in Center Twp, in walking distance of downtown/courthouse square. Moved to Valpo in 1987. It is a lovely city. It has small-town charm but offers more and more larger-city amenities and entertainment options. Great variety of restuarnts, from fast food to high end. Lots of parks. Valparaiso University. The old downtown area has been beautifully restored and is a busy mecca of specialty shops and restaurants - a lovely place to stroll, day or night.

I would recommend you reside north of Lincolnway (Hwy 130 - the main E/W road through downtown). Many apartments are available; some very nice complexes. Plus, house rentals. Depends entirely on what type of home you are looking for. There is a lot to choose from, something for every budget, I believe. My budget is relatively small, so an older home works fine for me. More dollars available? Then the sky's the limit.

Here's a like to the city's web site: Welcome to the City of Valparaiso, Indiana Homepage

Welcome to Valpo! I hope you will come to love it as much as I do!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
There is really only 1 drawback to Valpo. It is home to this particularly annoying fly. i dont know the scientific name of it but the locals refer to it as a PJ8. It buzzes around your head and is so evasive that you just end up smacking yourself upside the head. It buzzes and buzzes until it gets on your nerves. But you get used to it after awhile. It seems to come around everytime you have a glass of good wine in front of you. Must like grapes!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I'm missing something Cap.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
There is really only 1 drawback to Valpo. It is home to this particularly annoying fly. i dont know the scientific name of it but the locals refer to it as a PJ8. It buzzes around your head and is so evasive that you just end up smacking yourself upside the head. It buzzes and buzzes until it gets on your nerves. But you get used to it after awhile. It seems to come around everytime you have a glass of good wine in front of you. Must like grapes!
LOL! Could be worse - at least there's not a Capt. Dan there!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
LOL! Could be worse - at least there's not a Capt. Dan there!
Ooooh! Theres one now!!!!!!!!!! See? Ya just end up smackin yourself! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Has any thread ever gotten more off topic?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Has any thread ever gotten more off topic?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana