U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 PM

132 posts, read 479,082 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Potentially on the move again, and have questions regarding taxes and COL. I have been looking at Munster and have heard nothing but good things about the area. My potential job would be in Oak Brook, but only there 1 day a week, traveling the MW the rest, so commute isnt an issue. I have read that most recommend NW IN because of lower COL, and good schools.

What do NW IN residents pay for taxes, specifically sales tax, personal property tax, state income tax, vehicle registration fees/state inspection/pp tax ? How do these compare to IL ?

Coming from VA, we have an avg. state income tax,a low sales tax 5%, but we pay pp tax on homes, vehicles, boats, well anything they can tax.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,157,241 times
Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4pits View Post
Hello all. Potentially on the move again, and have questions regarding taxes and COL. I have been looking at Munster and have heard nothing but good things about the area. My potential job would be in Oak Brook, but only there 1 day a week, traveling the MW the rest, so commute isnt an issue. I have read that most recommend NW IN because of lower COL, and good schools.

What do NW IN residents pay for taxes, specifically sales tax, personal property tax, state income tax, vehicle registration fees/state inspection/pp tax ? How do these compare to IL ?

Coming from VA, we have an avg. state income tax,a low sales tax 5%, but we pay pp tax on homes, vehicles, boats, well anything they can tax.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
For the state of Indiana, there is a flat tax rate of about 3.4%. Also, I believe that Lake County is the only county that does NOT collect a local income tax; however, the property taxes are rather high. My home is Munster was worth $550,000 last assessment and our taxes for this year are about $8,000. Not as bad as most of the Illinois suburbs but definitely higher than other areas of Indiana. Sales tax in Indiana is 7% on regular retail items. This excludes groceries and I believe medication as well. Vehicle registration in this state is pretty expensive. The excise tax is about $300.....Even though it seems as Indiana taxes are going up, they are still pretty low compared to Illinois. Illinois sales taxes vary depending on where you are. Downtown sales tax is 10.25% and the South Suburbs are about 9.75%. The same house I have in Munster would have cost about 30,000 more to build (in even a less desirable area in Illinois). A comparable town in Illinois would have cost about 60,000+ to build and property taxes would have most likely doubled. The only advantage Illinois has (tax wise) is a lower income tax.

Regarding actually moving to NW Indiana, what is your budget (if you do not mind sharing) and is there any particular area or subdivision in Munster that you have been looking in? I'll be glad to help!

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 05-24-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 AM

639 posts, read 1,060,160 times
For comparisons sake I live in a nice subdivision in Schererville, with a recent house assessment value of about $260,000 and taxes of just $2200. Munster will have the highest property taxes in NWI, although a great town. Either way, taxes in any town in NWI are, as discussed above, about half of what they are in a comparable town in IL.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM

132 posts, read 479,082 times
Thanks for the replies. From what I have read, it seems NWI is much more affordable than IL suburbs, and the PP taxes are comparable to here in VA.

I havent narrowed down any particular areas, or Munster for that matter. If the job goes through, I will rent for a while to really get a feel for the area.

Any suggestions on areas to look to rent a SFH, 3 br 2 ba in a decent school system for around 1500/mth? I know that is really broad criteria, but open to any suggestions. Anything in the Oak Brook area costs twice as much.

Commute times really do not matter, but I would say within 1 hr of Oak Brook.
I am married, and have 2 kids ,12 and 8 . I am partial to older homes with larger lots, or even rural areas. My main concern is schools.

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,060,160 times
if your main concern is schools you should live in munster(probably the best schools in the area), or in dyer, st John, or schererville as all 3 towns are in the same school system called lake central... this is also an above average school system.. the schools in Highland are decent and those in Crown Point are also good, but CP will be a pretty long drive

as far as older homes, munster does have those but the lot sizes aren't generally very big.. A little further south into st. John is where you'll have larger lot sizes, but newer homes as the town has developed a lot over the past 10-15 yrs

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,157,241 times
Default Glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
if your main concern is schools you should live in munster(probably the best schools in the area), or in dyer, st John, or schererville as all 3 towns are in the same school system called lake central... this is also an above average school system.. the schools in Highland are decent and those in Crown Point are also good, but CP will be a pretty long drive

as far as older homes, munster does have those but the lot sizes aren't generally very big.. A little further south into st. John is where you'll have larger lot sizes, but newer homes as the town has developed a lot over the past 10-15 yrs
I second what "svillechris" stated. As far as schools go, your best bet will be Munster. If you do not know already, Indiana schools are taking major budget cuts and all school systems have been affected. However while the surrounding school districts have had to lay off teachers or significantly cut some program fundings or programs alltogether, Munster teacher's union agreed to take some pay cuts in order to save jobs and very few teachers needed to take early retirements. The programs were saved because of this and the students were affected minimally (as compared to other school districts). If your main concern is schools, you cannot go wrong with Munster. The Crown Point system is very good as well and you will be able to find older homes on larger lots; however, the drive will be very far to Oakbrook. Lake Central schools are good as well and the district is located south/southeast of Munster and west/northwest of Crown Point. Driving-wise, St. John will be the furthest town to live in within the LC district. The northern parts of Schererville and Dyer (that border southern Munster) will be the best location. However, most of those homes, old and new alike, are on smaller lots.

Also, if you prefer a more "rural" setting, your only options (with good schools) would be probably only be Crown Point or Winfield (further east of Crown Point) and those areas are becoming less and less rural feeling every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana