Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times

Advertisements

So what is everyone's opinion on the new Michael Jackson museum/arts center? Do you think that it will succeed in bringing people back to Gary to visit and possibly attract people to live in the region? Also, do you think it will even happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Won't happen.

And I wonder how much Joe Jackson received for his appearance fee in Gary today?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Let's just say that all of those plans happen. Gary is still going to remain a blighted city and any revenue from the museum will still be mismanaged like the current funds (or lack thereof) are. I do not think it will attract people to move to the region....However, a Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus in Munster sure would!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I don't think Gary will ever make a comeback. A Jackson memorial might bring tourists, but there is no place for them to stay in Gary and very few places to eat or shop. Any tourists would likely spend their money in nearby towns such as Merrillville. I work in Gary and observe its dire conditions every day. I can't imagine anything bringing the city back to life. It has a few nice spots and decent neighborhoods, but the vast majority of the city is a wasteland.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
The OP can't seriously think that a little memorial would revive the city. There's no way. Actually, if people wanted to go to it but found out it was located in Gary, they'd probably decide not to go because of the dangers of the city. The answer is no, case closed, move on to the next question.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
The OP can't seriously think that a little memorial would revive the city. There's no way. Actually, if people wanted to go to it but found out it was located in Gary, they'd probably decide not to go because of the dangers of the city. The answer is no, case closed, move on to the next question.
Wow way to be a complete downer. Not every single part of Gary is so awful. I was just thinking this could be a project that could somewhat change the reputation of Gary and possibly spur some development. I don't think that it will actually make Gary a desirable area to live in, but it could at least help make it livable for the middle class again.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
I don't mean to be a downer, it's just the truth and appears to be the consensus of most people here. Things like this have been tried before in an effort to help Gary. Examples include the railcats, the Gary airport, and bringing miss America to Gary. Those are pretty big undertakings and we've had a few years to digest the results. Have they helped or changed Gary? Not substantially, if at all.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:41 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Wow way to be a complete downer. Not every single part of Gary is so awful. I was just thinking this could be a project that could somewhat change the reputation of Gary and possibly spur some development. I don't think that it will actually make Gary a desirable area to live in, but it could at least help make it livable for the middle class again.
Ideally: this project should spur development and reinvestment in Gary

Realistically: unless the city government is broken down into many districts in order to have more checks and balances and less corruption, this is merely a dream.

***Also, you are 100% correct. Not every part of Gary is bad. There is still Miller Beach. However, perception and reputation alone is enough to keep people out of Gary.

If this project goes through and survives, I will be the first one in line to witness it.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I don't think Gary will ever make a comeback. A Jackson memorial might bring tourists, but there is no place for them to stay in Gary and very few places to eat or shop. Any tourists would likely spend their money in nearby towns such as Merrillville. I work in Gary and observe its dire conditions every day. I can't imagine anything bringing the city back to life. It has a few nice spots and decent neighborhoods, but the vast majority of the city is a wasteland.
I usually hesitate to use the word never or make such bold claims as above, but it's hard for me to argue against the above predictions.

I'd probably phrase it this way:
CAN Gary make a comeback? Yes. WILL Gary make a comeback? No.

I don't see a comeback anytime soon and, the longer Gary goes without moving in the right direction, that harder it's going to be.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,519 times
Default Just like the airport

Isn't this project just like the airport that was supposed to turn Gary around? They had a commercial airliner come in after I moved here in 2007 and it is already gone! People hear "Gary" and think no way!

Besides, the politics in Gary are a lot like the city of Chicago's politics. If you are related to someone you will do fine, if not too bad. I read two area newspapers every day and it seems like the idea for the Jackson Museum has been around for a long time and still hasn't happened. The comment on the news yesterday that I found upseting was that "taxpayer money would not be used except for the land"! Doesn't Gary have better things they could do with the taxpayers money? Like maybe tear down some of the abandonded houses - we all know they are just places for criminals to hide the things they do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana