Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 12,876 times

Advertisements

I am taking a job in Valpasario, I don't know what city is closer Merrville or scherville or dyer. And I want to know which city is better(friendly,safer) and things to do. And I want to rent a House so I wanted to know which is cheaper.I want to know about the schools to My daughter is going into the 3rd grade. I love newer homes, I'm in California now,I was born and raised in Chicago but I refuse to move back there with my kids. My family is still out there so twice a month I will be going to visit my family. I don't think I would like t live in Valpasario I heard, Heard it was very country there(don't know for sure)but would like to live around places and parks to go and take the kids and have fun and also entertainment. Don't care about a 20 or 30min drive. I been lookn on the net for places but they just show older houses and small townhouses. Not havn much luck with that. If you can help me Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Google Maps

Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times
Also look into the Chesterton or Portage area. Both border Valparaiso (Valpo) to the north and west. Merrillville borders Valpo on the west, Schererville and Dyer are even further west and St. John is south.

Valpo, Chesterton, and Portage are in Porter County. Porter County is definitely cleaner, as Lake County (Merrillville, Schererville, Dyer, St. John) is very industrial.

Chesterton, Valpo, and Portage schools aren't bad, but Merrillville schools aren't bad either. Chesterton is kind of artsy, Portage is average, Valpo is a college town. Personally, I'm not fond of Valpo. But that's just an opinion. Others like it.

I've lived in Northwest Indiana all my life, so I'm pretty familiar with it. Okay, okay, I spent one year in Indianapolis.

Hope that gives you some insite.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM

17,417 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Also look into the Chesterton or Portage area. Both border Valparaiso (Valpo) to the north and west. Merrillville borders Valpo on the west, Schererville and Dyer are even further west and St. John is south.

Valpo, Chesterton, and Portage are in Porter County. Porter County is definitely cleaner, as Lake County (Merrillville, Schererville, Dyer, St. John) is very industrial.

Chesterton, Valpo, and Portage schools aren't bad, but Merrillville schools aren't bad either. Chesterton is kind of artsy, Portage is average, Valpo is a college town. Personally, I'm not fond of Valpo. But that's just an opinion. Others like it.

I've lived in Northwest Indiana all my life, so I'm pretty familiar with it. Okay, okay, I spent one year in Indianapolis.

Hope that gives you some insite.
Lake County is industrial only north of I80. That's like, oh, 1/4 of the county.

Merrillville borders Valpo? Hardly ... maybe by address, but there's a whole lot of unincorporated space between Merrillville and Valpo - not to mention Hobart & Wheeler.

Merrillville cannot compete with Chesterton nor Valpo academically. Not even close. www.greatschools.org

ISTEP results 2008/2009

Merrillville

10th grade English
62% passing (state avg. was 67%)
Below average

10th grade Math
59% passing (state avg. was 65%)
Below average

Valparaiso

10th grade English
82% passing (state avg. was 67%)
Above average

10th grade Math
83% passing (state avg. was 65%)
Above average

Last edited by Chuckity; 06-14-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM

57 posts, read 198,759 times
Wait I am confused, of all the places you mentioned, Valpo is least "country". It has the most to offer you in terms of culture, boutique shopping/dining, great schools, and community feel/parks. It also has the distinct advantage of being adjacent to the Indiana Dunes which offer innumerable recreational possibilities and the Lake Michigan shoreline. If I were in your shoes (I can speak with a little confidence having spent 8 years in San Diego/Los Angeles) had a job in Valpo,and a young daughter I would look for a rental HOUSE in either Valparaiso or Chesterton, which also has a similar quality of life and fine safe schools for your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana