Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,324 times

Advertisements

I wanted to apologize to the Honolulu Police Department for the comments I made in a previous post.

I realize the hard-working police are doing their best.

It just outraged me that my wife and I were given almost $250 in parking and moving tickets in the space of a month.

We never try to break the law and I do my best to look at the curbs in Waikiki. But to be given tickets for expired tags when they were stolen or given a ticket for whipping out my cell phone as I was parking angered me - I'm normally very easy-going.

I was also upset that we've been accosted almost nightly by drunken vagrants, aggressive prostitutes, druggies, dope dealers, skateboard riders, noisy motorcycle/moped drivers - all who seem to be given free reign by the police...it just angered me.

I wonder when this world will ever have justice.

Anyway, I'm sorry again. I'll just shut my mouth next time, grin and bear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM

95 posts, read 296,288 times
Sir, next time don't come with blinders on. Honolulu IS a major city with city problems and Waikiki is the worst district in town as far as what you described happened to you. Next time research where you are staying or stay out in Ko'olina or a neighbor island with a slower pace. You will enjoy your stay.....

Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
I didn't take offense and can understand getting upset.

If you feel that strongly about it vote with you wallet and go elsewhere for vacation.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Judging by what the cop said to you, it seems like you were justified. There's no excuse for police not doing their job. It's Waikiki, not Bangkok.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
nice of you to post. mahalo. maybe try an outer island next time. they are a bit less "hectic"

Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,886 times
I was almost arrested for jaywalking.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Its all about revenue. Get a hands free device for your cell phone & unless you're completely parked the cop can & will ticket you. You have a right to be angry at the police. Be careful what you say to them cause they can make your day a living hell. Some cops are on a power trip. During their school yrs they most likely were the geek & got picked on & never had a date. Now its payback time for them. I guess some jocks became cops but i bet its rare.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
I was almost arrested for jaywalking.
Good. You know how many pedestrian traffic deaths Honolulu has every year? I was a valet in Waikiki for 2 years and it took my 20 minutes to bring a car around because the pedestrians couldn't wait and cross when they had right of way... instead they walk right in front of cars, back up traffic, and make people slam on their brakes. I have no sympathy for people that can't do something so simple as crossing at a marked crosswalk, especially when they are everywhere.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Some cops are on a power trip. During their school yrs they most likely were the geek & got picked on & never had a date. Now its payback time for them. I guess some jocks became cops but i bet its rare.
Where on EARTH did you get your stats on Police Officers? They are a diverse group of people but a major factor in even entering an Academy is the physical fitness exam. Not many 'geeks' had the prowess to pass this portion of the test. While IN an Academy the Candidates have to undertake mental health exams along with their LE coursework and PT.

In short- Academies and LEA are looking for well-rounded individuals with a health sense of sense - in order to withstand the barrage of insults and threats from those citizens who feel that 'they' are 'too special' to follow the Law.

So, someone whips out their cell before they are parked - well they HAVE broken the Law if they did not use a hands-free device. Tags are expired or you were '6 miles' over the speed limit? Still breaking a LAW and a Police Officer is SUPPOSED to enforce the Law- not just the ones you feel they should!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged Tourist View Post
I wanted to apologize to the Honolulu Police Department for the comments I made in a previous post.

I realize the hard-working police are doing their best.

It just outraged me that my wife and I were given almost $250 in parking and moving tickets in the space of a month.

We never try to break the law and I do my best to look at the curbs in Waikiki. But to be given tickets for expired tags when they were stolen or given a ticket for whipping out my cell phone as I was parking angered me - I'm normally very easy-going.

I was also upset that we've been accosted almost nightly by drunken vagrants, aggressive prostitutes, druggies, dope dealers, skateboard riders, noisy motorcycle/moped drivers - all who seem to be given free reign by the police...it just angered me.

I wonder when this world will ever have justice.

Anyway, I'm sorry again. I'll just shut my mouth next time, grin and bear it.
HPD has a tough job, and I respect that, but they are not the most professional police force in the world. Parts of Waikiki are ghetto at night, plain and simple. I worked at a hotel and would see hookers going up to rooms with 3 or 4 different guys a night... go down by fun factory on Kuhio after midnight and it is all prostitutes walking around with their clear high heels on and HPD will be over there talking story to them sometimes. People are selling weed on almost every corner and there are a lot of homeless walking around. That said, it is still a pretty safe environment compared to other cities.

Like the other guy said, go somewhere else. All cities have problems but there are much nicer options in the Caribbean that will cost the same or less overall. Or as was suggested, outer islands and turtle bay are a lot better as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: