U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 8,350 times
Default Honolulu - where to live and what schools

Moving to Honolulu - have a middle school and high school student. Both parents working professionals.

What are the best schools? Education-wise? and without going private.

And I think football is popular, but is soccer?

Finally, currently living in a suburb of Seattle and wondering what neighboorhoods would be nice - not terrible busy....a place to raise a family. Being outside of town - is ok. Near water would be nice....

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 3,814,949 times
To narrow things down you need to consider where you will be working (commute) and how much you can afford for housing.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM

Pearl Harbor - for work. And housing -- I am still not sure about renting or buying (And i read that there are lots of issues with that) So - rent - 2000 - 3000?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM

1,707 posts, read 3,814,949 times
That will help greatly with the advice you get. I presume you are a civilian and not military correct?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Civilian. Both of us. One has job - other will be looking - in the IT arena. Currently an IT project manager in telecom. Hoping to find something simular - but getting kids settled into school is first priority. Thanks - btw. :-)

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM

40 posts, read 114,488 times
You can't go wrong with Hawaii Kai in east Honolulu. It will meet all of your stated needs, but if commute time is also important, to and from Pearl Harbor will probably take around 45 minutes (each way during rush hours). Another nice thing about living on the east side is during the morning and afternoon commutes, you won't have the sun in your face.

Below are the schools your kids would be attending:

Kaiser High
Niu Valley Middle

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,724,492 times
Seattle commuting (horrible!) should prepare you for Honolulu (terrible!). (I was mostly based in Seattle for 30 years) Commuting considerations are critical. That said, persons from Seattle are also quite likely to prefer the relaxed, lush green of Oahu's Windward side, as in Kaneohe, Kailua, and surrounds. Hawaii Kai is a good neighborhood, for sure, as well, but less "green" -- and the commute, while similar in distance, will probably take longer than the H-3 from Windward. I despise traffic so much that even the H-3 shuffle is too much for me, but I seem to recall another frequent forum contributor (HankDfrmSD maybe?) was quite adamant once that the H-3 commute to Pearl / Hickam is a relative snap.

Ewa Beach and Iroquois Point, to the south on the west side of Pearl Harbor, terrible commutes to suffer all the way into Honolulu, might not be too frustrating to Pearl Harbor. Hwy 76 is no joy though.

All three areas, Windward, Hawaii Kai, and Ewa are between 22 and 26 miles of Pearl and all have theoretically similar commute times. But I'd put my money on the H-3 / Windward.

My kids are grown so I can't say which neighborhood would be best for schools. However, as a haole family coming from Seattle, your kids are likely to be more easily assimilated into a broader community culturally in Hawaii Kai or Kailua / Kaneohe than if you moved very close to, or west of Pearl. And community culture will be local school culture. Hawaii is a wonderful place, but Very different from mainland culture in more ways than I care to discuss. It is potentially a huge challenge for haole teens to transition.

Best wishes.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,636,097 times
We just got back from a two week vacation in Seattle and they do have the public transport system figured out real well. We didn't rent a car and got everywhere we could think of going no matter the time of day or location. We had an ORCA card which worked on the Metro bus system, the Sounder rail/bus system, the Amtrak system (at least as far as Everett) and the light rail system.

Seattle also seemed to have an extremely friendly population. Friendlier than the Hawaii folks these days, if you ask me. I think their economy is doing much better than the Hawaii economy and the folks didn't seem stressed out by as much stuff. Of course, it was springtime and graduation time so perhaps we just caught them in a two week good mood.

If it were me, I'd keep my kids there until they graduated and then consider moving. I think Seattle has a significantly better school system than any public school systems you will find in Hawaii. If I had kids, I'd even consider moving to Seattle for them to go to school. Our school system is state run and generally underfunded whereas the Seattle school systems seem to have a lot of the large tech companies helping fund them.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 2,295,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersjohnson View Post
Moving to Honolulu - have a middle school and high school student. Both parents working professionals.

Thanks in advance!

If you're working at Pearl, then the closest neighborhoods would be Pearl City and Waimalu. Both are good areas, settled by military folk at first and then Japanese and Filipinos. Pearl City and Waimalu have plenty of good schools to attend, all accessible via Public Transportation.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
My family just moved here a month ago and We are renting n Ewa Beach and so far we are happy. We heard lots of horror stories about traffic but so far the commute out of Ewa to H1has been 10-15 minutes. The h1 / h2 merge OS congested but tolerable. If you are working at Pearl Harbor and have access to the base (ID card) you can take the gray boat out of Iroquois Point to several stops at Pearl. We haven't tried it ourselves but observed a drop off and heard after school/college starts this Fall the traffic is much heavier and will consider the gray boat.
Regarding schools - there is a new middle school opening in Jan that is suppose to high tech and green friendly.

Another area close to Ewa is Kapolei-another area that has new construction and is the up and coming area in Oahu. Kapolei is closer to H1 with lots of familiar businesses such as Target, Home Depot and K-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu