U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
 
8 posts, read 40,084 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Does anyone know of the cheapest way to ship a few boxes to Oahu? Probably 4 boxes weighing an average of 40 pounds each. Not books or dvds, probably some nick nacks and some extra clothing that couldn't go on the plane with us. We are moving from Connecticut to Oahu and have decided to bring the absolute minimum with us: the max bag limit on the plane, a few boxes of media mail, and hopefully a few boxes of nick nacks and paddy wacks. My issue is (and maybe this is just the reality) that according to the USPS website its about $220 to send a 2'x2'x2' box weighing 30 pounds to Oahu.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
 
7,151 posts, read 4,418,170 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekac View Post
Does anyone know of the cheapest way to ship a few boxes to Oahu? Probably 4 boxes weighing an average of 40 pounds each. Not books or dvds, probably some nick nacks and some extra clothing that couldn't go on the plane with us. We are moving from Connecticut to Oahu and have decided to bring the absolute minimum with us: the max bag limit on the plane, a few boxes of media mail, and hopefully a few boxes of nick nacks and paddy wacks. My issue is (and maybe this is just the reality) that according to the USPS website its about $220 to send a 2'x2'x2' box weighing 30 pounds to Oahu.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Derek
Cheapest for what you describe is Parcel Post, through the US Postal Service. No question about it. Got to have a good address for delivery, though -- and not be in any hurry. And yes, it is expensive anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
63 posts, read 174,814 times
Reputation: 43
Hi derekac,

This is the route that I've taken to get my stuff back to Hawaii (the bare minimum really).

I Booked my flight on Alaska Airlines, specifically for the baggage fee. It's $20 for the first three baggage and $50 for the fourth or more each. The baggage can be no more than 162 linear inches (L + W + H). One bag is roughly the size of a military duffel bag and totals 53.5 linear inches. Each baggage may weigh up to 50 pounds.

It's cheaper to ship boxes via USPS using the flat rate boxes. If you purchase it online, you'll save a little money. You can ship up to 70 pounds per box. They're small, but eh, you can't beat the flat rate price:

Large box is $14.50 offline, or $13.95 online [12 x 12 x 5-1/2 inches]
Medium box is $10.70 offline, or $10.20 online [11" X 8.5" X 5.5"]
Small box is $4.95 offline, or $4.85 online [8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"]

It's really the best solution I've found to date. The rates are the highest (Shipping Zone 8 for Hawaii on the USPS shipping chart). The parcel post rate to Zone 8 is $34.25 for 30 pounds.

You can also use a freight forwarding company. I got rates for a company shipping out of Portland, Oregon, so it'd be different for you. A 4-foot high pallet of file folder boxes was quoted at $270.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by IslandGirlGoingHome; 06-29-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
 
8 posts, read 40,084 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
I Booked my flight on Alaska Airlines, specifically for the baggage fee. It's $20 for the first three baggage and $50 for the fourth or more each. The baggage can be no more than 162 linear inches (L + W + H). One bag is roughly the size of a military duffel bag and totals 53.5 linear inches. Each baggage may weigh up to 50 pounds.
Island Girl,
I am being quite serious when I say: You may be a genius. Seriously, that is the best advice i think I've ever received from a question i never expected to get a response to. I just checked kayak.com to figure out some flights, and by sitting in the Seattle Airport for an extra few hours I'm going to be able to bring way more stuff and save myself the price of a rack of Maui Dark Rum on shipping.

Koodos to you for your in-depth thought process and research abilities.

Where did you get your quote on the pallet from? At this point it probably doesn't matter but I'm curious since most of my quotes were about 10x that.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
63 posts, read 174,814 times
Reputation: 43
Oh my gosh. Thanks Derek! I really do love research. You know that internet provider commercial where it says, "You have reached the end of the internet?" Yeah, that's me! I like to say MacGiver is my middle name, too.

Of course, I don't have a job now and I really did do the best I could to find out the cheapest way to get what little I have left back home.

The quote I got was from Hawaii Ocean Transport.

I called them directly because they ask for quite a bit of information on their website. I didn't know all the specs. I just asked if I had a pallet of 3, 4 or 5 feet high, weighing 200, 300, 400 pounds, how much would it be. If anyone is curious, the quotes were $328.59, $428.50, and $520.07 respectively. Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was $270. Sorry about that.

Yeah! Fly Alaska! For four boxes/bags, it's $110. And add another box/bag, it's $160. That's still very reasonable for 250 pounds of stuff. How can you beat that? I wanted to fly Hawaiian, but the baggage fees scratched that plan.

I'm so happy I could help you figure out your plans.

Last edited by IslandGirlGoingHome; 06-29-2010 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Hawaii Kai, Honolulu
6 posts, read 25,974 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekac View Post
Does anyone know of the cheapest way to ship a few boxes to Oahu? Probably 4 boxes weighing an average of 40 pounds each. Not books or dvds, probably some nick nacks and some extra clothing that couldn't go on the plane with us. We are moving from Connecticut to Oahu and have decided to bring the absolute minimum with us: the max bag limit on the plane, a few boxes of media mail, and hopefully a few boxes of nick nacks and paddy wacks. My issue is (and maybe this is just the reality) that according to the USPS website its about $220 to send a 2'x2'x2' box weighing 30 pounds to Oahu.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Derek
Did you ever find out the best to use etc to Oahu? I'm leaving in Oct 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Hawai'i
115 posts, read 300,634 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirlGoingHome View Post
Hi derekac,

This is the route that I've taken to get my stuff back to Hawaii (the bare minimum really).

I Booked my flight on Alaska Airlines, specifically for the baggage fee. It's $20 for the first three baggage and $50 for the fourth or more each. The baggage can be no more than 162 linear inches (L + W + H). One bag is roughly the size of a military duffel bag and totals 53.5 linear inches. Each baggage may weigh up to 50 pounds.

It's cheaper to ship boxes via USPS using the flat rate boxes. If you purchase it online, you'll save a little money. You can ship up to 70 pounds per box. They're small, but eh, you can't beat the flat rate price:

Large box is $14.50 offline, or $13.95 online [12 x 12 x 5-1/2 inches]
Medium box is $10.70 offline, or $10.20 online [11" X 8.5" X 5.5"]
Small box is $4.95 offline, or $4.85 online [8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"]

It's really the best solution I've found to date. The rates are the highest (Shipping Zone 8 for Hawaii on the USPS shipping chart). The parcel post rate to Zone 8 is $34.25 for 30 pounds.

You can also use a freight forwarding company. I got rates for a company shipping out of Portland, Oregon, so it'd be different for you. A 4-foot high pallet of file folder boxes was quoted at $270.

I hope that helps!
Very well thought out, I did both with Parcel Post and as Luggage and you hit the nail right on the head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
63 posts, read 174,814 times
Reputation: 43
Right on! Thanks, Jimbo. It pays to do research well in advance.

If I were to do it over again, I'd max out my baggage allowance on the plan. It's just too easy to ship everything with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top