Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

hey everyone,i am in the army and being stationed to schoffield baracks ,i am married no kids currently living in houston,tx and probably will be moving in september .is it expensive there? night life? attractions ? people? what are the good neighborhoods to rent a place .as money is not a issue i can afford up to $ 1500 in rent for a 2 bed 1 1/2 bath normal size home ,condo appartemnt,,,,,,,,,,whatever as long as its in a good neighborhood.any advice ? thanks .oh also how do u guys travel to other islands?time it takes? things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliprinceali View Post
hey everyone,i am in the army and being stationed to schoffield baracks ,i am married no kids currently living in houston,tx and probably will be moving in september .is it expensive there? night life? attractions ? people? what are the good neighborhoods to rent a place .as money is not a issue i can afford up to $ 1500 in rent for a 2 bed 1 1/2 bath normal size home ,condo appartemnt,,,,,,,,,,whatever as long as its in a good neighborhood.any advice ? thanks .oh also how do u guys travel to other islands?time it takes? things to do?
I'll try and answer a few of your questions, I was stationed at Schofield until 2008.

Yes it is very expensive in Hawaii.

Plenty of nightlife in the Honolulu/Waikiki area.

Historic attractions as well as ocean sports.

Decent people who generally like military service members.

I don't think you can rent a decent 2 bedroom house/apartment for $1500.

Flying interisland is the only viable option for travel. There are MWR/lodging locations on the Big Island of Hawaii and Kauai.

Kilauea Military Camp - www.kmc-volcano.com

GreatLifeHawaii: Aloha and Welcome (http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/Activity/detailActivity.asp?catid=261&catname=Lodging+%2D+B arking+Sands+Beach+Cottages+%28PMRF%29&id=2302 - broken link)

Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Money will be an issue in Hawaii so start watching the prices of things when you buy them. All the little bit more expense on each item you buy adds up until at the end of the month there's nothing left and you still haven't paid all the bills unless you've been careful with your money. Base housing if you can get it is a lot less expensive than off base housing. Also going to the PX is a great savings, too.

Ask the base folks for advice on where good housing is if you want to be off base. I'd think starting out on base or in temporary housing would be best, then you'll have time to look around and find a place you like.

Most of the nightlife will be in Honolulu which isn't that far away. There's loads to do on Oahu. Great beaches, surfing, swimming, loads of stores and touristy things to do.

Flying interisland is about a half hour to forty five minutes between islands. The tickets go from $20 (when they are on sale at a deep discount) to around $75 when they aren't. Usually they are around $45 to $65 or so. At the moment we don't have competing airlines so the tickets are fairly expensive, but that changes. What to do on the other islands depends on the island. You'll have plenty to keep you occupied on Oahu for quite some time, though.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,382,751 times
Hi - welcome to Hawaii! Go to the very first thread in the Hawaii forum - you'll see a "sticky" (that's a thread that always stays at the top) that has a ton of information to answer your questions. Good luck!

Main thing - stay humble. Stay open to new things. Realize we are a little different here. Don't take things personally. Don't bring a lot of mainland baggage with you. Sit back and observe. For the most part, people here are pretty laid back and have really good hearts. If you are rude and always say "well, the way we do it BACK HOME" ... then you might have problems. Give it time and you'll be fine.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,175 times
Something struck me...the OP says he can only rent up to $1500 a month...

I believe the lowest BAH for Honolulu CO (Island of Oahu) is around $2000 a month. Are you assuming $1500 for rent...and $500 for utilities?? $500 is probably more than sufficient for utilities...so maybe you could up your rental range?? the only reason I say this is because we are also looking into moving...and almost any rental for $1500 is probably not inhabitable :-)

Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,740 times
I am actively looking for a place to move (it has to be a 2 bedroom/2bath with W/D). I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of rentals I've encountered for $1800 to $2000. The one I want is $1850 and includes utilities (it's a condo in Waikiki). Pictures look great and in fact I know many of the buildings along the Ala Wai as I use to do home health so I know they are nice.

Look around; you'll find something.

I don't know what the cause of this fall in rentals is but they're all asking for 1 year lease (this is on Oahu) and then of course the credit check and references.

Good luck

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Flying interisland is about a half hour to forty five minutes between islands. The tickets go from $20 (when they are on sale at a deep discount) to around $75 when they aren't. Usually they are around $45 to $65 or so. At the moment we don't have competing airlines so the tickets are fairly expensive, but that changes. What to do on the other islands depends on the island. You'll have plenty to keep you occupied on Oahu for quite some time, though.
Best round trip price, Oahu to Kauai today is $128.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-13-2010 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: sorry, but links to competitors is not allowed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu