Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM

19 posts, read 59,279 times

Advertisements

I am an ICU nurse, CICU and MICU, interested in trauma and/or burns, and am relocating to Oahu in the next 6 months. I have applied at Queens and Kapiolani Medical Center as an ICU nurse. I wanted to see if anyone had any more to say about certain facilities. (pay and relocation benefits?) Queens posts theirs online but, not Kapiolani. I am interested in flight nursing. I might need another year or two before I'm ready for that. What I really want is to work for the unit with the sickest/most unstable patients, pediatric or adult. Where is that? Also, I need a roommate in a cool place, with a dog.
Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

155 posts, read 516,208 times
Queen's is probably your best bet as I think patients who are very sick on the other islands are flighted usually to Queen's. Kaiser Moanalua is where I travel nursed and they did CAB's and such. I would recommend getting a place as near to the hospital as you can as the traffic in and around Honolulu (basically almost all the southern half of Oahu) around rush hours is horrendous.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM

19 posts, read 59,279 times
Default re: work in Honolulu

I would LOVE to work for Queens, I am having a hard time finding any ICU work. Do you know if this is a temporary thing or if they really do NEED nurses in Hawaii. It's looking to me like there isn't as much of a 'shortage' as I have been told. Do you have any suggestions on how to get that job? I check the listings daily, I apply for any and every full time position that is in my category, and I still haven't heard a peep. I really need that relocation benefit and I don't want to take a position at another facility that wouldn't challenge me enough. I'm wondering how the hiring trend is at Queens if anyone knows, or has any tips.
Thanks again

Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 PM

28 posts, read 105,532 times
Basically, there's vacancies at Queens, they just aren't hiring, save$$$, the nurses just have to work harder with less nurses. And BTW, there are a lot of RN's,, local's, with no work, good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
There are lots of temp agencies looking for RN's. If you really want to move, go thru one of those.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM

155 posts, read 516,208 times
I am looking at going back next spring to do travel contracts if I can now that I don't have any dogs. There is not much right now but it can by cyclical (is that a word?) and may pick up in the winter.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:44 PM

41 posts, read 144,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohikea View Post
I am looking at going back next spring to do travel contracts if I can now that I don't have any dogs. There is not much right now but it can by cyclical (is that a word?) and may pick up in the winter.
There are so many local nurses looking for work that the hospitals aren't using travel nurses now as much as they did a couple of years ago. 4 years ago 25% of the nurses working at my hospital were travel nurses or from local agencies, now there are no travelers & only 2 or 3 nurses from local agencies. I know many local RNs who have been unable to get a nursing job in Hawaii so they have either moved to the mainland or have gotten a job in another profession. There was an article in yesterday's paper that there is a new nursing program starting at a University in Honolulu so in a few years there will be even more local nurses competing for jobs.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Things have changed... it wasn't all that long ago that Queens paid relocation/sign-on bonuses for certain specialties...

The West Coast Hospital where I work had a difficult time finding RN's... we would go to job fairs, pay sign-on and retention.

We no longer do this because the need is simply not there... lots of qualified, unsolicited resumes come in every week.

Those that we have hired in the last two years started as travelers or part-time and were offered full time benefited positions as openings occured.

Also, several senior RN's have put retirement plans on hold... stock market losses and general uncertainty have many putting off retirement.

Be persistent... maybe volunteer... take any opportunity to get face time so that when something becomes available... you will be on the short list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: