Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 61,902 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Oahu at the end of the month, and need an affordable place. We have the option of a house in Waianae or a studio in Makiki Honolulu. We have two kids so are worried about safety in Waianae, but worried about space in Makiki. What would you do? My husband does have the option of working from home, or going to an office space in Honolulu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
You need to also be concerned with the quality of the schools by location if your children are of school age.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyd View Post
We are moving to Oahu at the end of the month, and need an affordable place. We have the option of a house in Waianae or a studio in Makiki Honolulu. We have two kids so are worried about safety in Waianae, but worried about space in Makiki. What would you do? My husband does have the option of working from home, or going to an office space in Honolulu.
A house in Wai'anae or a studio in Makiki with two kids? If I couldn't find any better affordable housing options than those, I'd probably move to the mainland.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:09 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
How about you look for some middle ground and get a 1 br. or 2 br. place in kalihi for close to the same price. Waianae is a tough area and if you are a newcomer to the islands and ignorant of local customs, slang, ideologies i would not recommend starting there... you may be crusin for a bruisin...both literally and figuratively. Waianae is also pretty far from town. School system is close to the bottom in Hawaii. There has to be some alternative instead of a studio in Makiki. Makiki is nice i lived there for awhile and is very close to a lot of things, good public transportation. The makiki park is nice, the weather is great. But yeah, no idea how a family of 4 could live in a studio.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the answers! I am homeschooling my children, so that is not a problem. We lived in Kailua for 8 years in a studio out the back of someones house but I just got over it because there was no space so we moved to the Big Island to a very nice big house on an acre. The kids love it, but we need to move over to Oahu again because my asthma is bad over here.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
Ever thought of Molokai? Kauai? Sometimes we get vog in Oahu too (nowhere near as bad as big island but it does make it over).

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM

I had thought of Kauai but I am thinking that it is the rain that is triggering it off, and I know how wet Kauai is. I have looked at Molokai, but there were barely any listings to choose from.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Kalihi does seem affordable, but I have heard bad things about the area. Is it that bad?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyd View Post
Kalihi does seem affordable, but I have heard bad things about the area. Is it that bad?
Kalihi is a place that most folks try to move from, not to. You might want to check out Waipahu, Pearl City, and Ewa Beach for affordable housing options on O'ahu....

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,221 times
Have you checked out Mililani? Great neighborhoods there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu