U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,808,854 times

Advertisements

Greetings...been lurking for some time. There's a BUNCH of great info on here, much appreciated.

This may be a bit of a personal question, but would some of you Honolulu residents mind sharing your living expenses? i.e. Rent, Electricity, Internet, Cable TV, Parking, other things that are just as relevant?

My wife and I are coming close to finishing a 4 year plan to move there and I'm trying to make some projections on how long we will have before expending our savings. We are happy to live in a 1 bedroom place and live pretty simply. 3 cats...already have the info on getting them there and understand that it limits places we can rent. Have great landlord references though.

Along those lines, I'll be happy to work three entry level jobs till I can find a good IT job, so all I'm really trying to do is figure out exactly how long we could make it no income.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,947,290 times
Are you restricting yourself to just Honolulu?

A house or apartment?

If you go through a rental agency you will have to show income or assets and almost everyone does the credit check which you pay for. It's always nice to find a place where the utilities are included like many condo's do (well with water and cable).

Do you have a smart phone and are you going to want access to the internet with it? There are plans out there (I recommend Verizon with their Friends and Family plan). As for home internet there are multiple ISP's on the island.

Last edited by tyvin; 09-24-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Not neccesairly limiting ourselves to Honolulu. Something in that general area would work great.

Looking to rent an apartment. We currently live in a 600sq foot 1 bedroom, and that suits us just fine. Definitely not looking to buy for a long while.

For the first few weeks, we plan on staying in a vacation rental till we find a place to rent. We went this last March and did a good amount of research on parts of town, places to buy groceries, etc.. I'll be honest and tell you I really don't know many of the area names, there are so many of them and they are tough to try and pronounce at this point. That was our 6th trip to the Islands.

Good to know Verizon has a good prescence there, we both have Verizon phones. But this is more for Laptop access to the internet.

I am thinking the following monthly expense is rational, please correct me if I am wrong, or missing something:
Rent: $1,300
Electric: $200
Fuel: $200-$300
Food: $500-$600
Internet/Cable: $75

Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,947,290 times
I think it all looks good. Keep in mind that most condominiums will include the water and cable so the landlords advertise that as included. I recently rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath with washer dryer, 1225 sq ft with lanai, parking space all utilities included plus the cable and internet for 18 so the deals are out there. Most of them will want a long term lease as well. It was also furnished and I had to negotiate with the landlord to remove some of the furniture because I want my own.

I know many people say don't go on craigslist but that's where I found my place as many people advertise on there. I don't see how you could be scammed unless you sent money with a sight unseen scenario which of course is not advisable. I recommend to go on craiglist when you get here as there are many advertisements for rent (use the search function for your search).

Good luck to you and yours it sounds like you have it together. At the start of this Hawaii forum is the relocation thread that addresses areas and stuff like that; check it out.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 AM

64 posts, read 161,675 times
just check craig's list.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 AM

119 posts, read 348,335 times
I found my rental via craigslist as well. To avoid scammers just never to give any money before you get a contract, and send money via NEVER western union. If you need to secure a place pay with personal check for deposit only, paypal with verified address or bank transfer.

We spent $750/mo on grocery for family of 3 and we shop most of the time at The Wholefoods, that includes Pediasure and diapers. Eating out is not included.

And I have to 2nd tyvin that a lot of rentals are furnished. Some people are lucky, but I had to pass some of my dream apartments because owners were not willing to get their stuff out.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Glad to hear a good portion of the places are furnished. We're only bringing the bare necessities with us, so that will work great to start.

Oh yes, Craigslist scammers...very aware of those. We keep an eye on the craigslist ads, but are still 6 months out, so not keeping info on any specific places just yet.

We plan on staying in a vacation rental when we arrive to give us time to find the right place. That means we will be meeting people/agencies in person and eliminating 90% of the scammers. It will also give us a chance to scope out the neighborhoods.

$750 a month for food for three...that will work. Put it right back in the zone I calculated for the two of us. The only kids we'll have living with us are furry.

Thanks for the comment!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,561,503 times
Default Electric bills

See my post on electricity in another thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16068314-post63.html

Old 09-28-2010, 03:38 PM

You ROCK! Thanks! Exactly what I ws looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or