Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 AM

168 posts, read 726,452 times

Advertisements

You could live on $3500 in Honolulu or Pear City. Pear City is definitely less expensive. And as long as you don't have to drive into Honolulu very often you would be fine living in Pear City & going to UHWO.

Living in Honolulu on $3500 a month for both of you would be doable but you may have to watch you budget. Traffic sucks in town but thebus is excellent & depending where you live you could most likely walk or bike most places. As much as traffic sucks, parking is just as bad. As long as you live in town & don't need to leave town, traffic is really not awful. Especially if you're used to Chicago traffic. Traffic isn't as bad as Chicago but ppl are worse drivers here, in my opinion.

I would definieyly suggest that you decide where you will go to school, then find jobs, then live as close as you can to both. At least live as close as you can to whichever you're going to be spending more time at. You're moving to paradise, you don't want to spend any extra time sitting in your car when you could be enjoying life here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I did the commute from Aiea (near Pearl City) to Hono for college and I would NOT do that. I had to leave early to miss the traffic and get an actual parking space anywhere near the college. The way the highways are constructed does not allow them to add lanes (some of the houses are very close to the highway) so it's pretty easy to get stuck in the parking lot. I attended the community college for a while, which was closer to me and since they were affiliated with UH, the classes transferred, but again, I had to take a majority of my classes in Hono. Figure out where you're going to school first, then figure out the living situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu