Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 13,348 times

Advertisements

I would probably be most interested in the island of Oahu. I have two concerns; I have several animals - cats, dogs and a horse which I would never consider leaving behind, but when I checked several years ago the impound period for animals was 6 months. Does anyone have more information on this - where do the animals have to be kept, can I keep them at a local vet or in my new home if I don't take them out. This above anything else keeps me from seriously considering a move to this beautiful island. Do all of the islands have the same restrictions?

I am also curious about real estate values. I would be looking for a property with acreage where I could keep my horse. I am currently living in Connecticut. On my last visit, about 4 years ago, I did not find things to be much more expensive than I am used to here but would like to be able to see some actual listings and prices of what is available.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:52 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
There is NO impound (quarantine) IF you prepare your animals in advance by getting the proper shots, etc. done. You want to avoid having them in quarantine because the cost is quite high.

Start here:
Cost Of Bringing A Dog To Hawai'i

"A Five-day-or-less quarantine went into effect on June 30, 2003. This quarantine program allows pets to be directly released at the airport if the pet owner follows strict procedures prior to the pet's arrival in Hawaii. It takes at least four months to qualify an adult pet that has had at least one rabies vaccination. It takes at least 10 months to qualify a newborn puppy or kitten for this program." from Dept of Ag, Quarantine branch.

Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
There is a lot of information posted on this forum regarding moving to Hawaii. Suggest you use the SEARCH function and weed through the posts. Many of the posts have been extremely helpful and most importantly, honest. If you find some are negative, it is only because the posters are writing from their experience living in the islands.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
To buy property with acerage on Oahu will take some serious bucks. Even a couple acres with a so so house will set you back millions. I would consider the Big Island, land is cheaper there.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 12,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemarch View Post
I would probably be most interested in the island of Oahu. I have two concerns; I have several animals - cats, dogs and a horse which I would never consider leaving behind, but when I checked several years ago the impound period for animals was 6 months. Does anyone have more information on this - where do the animals have to be kept, can I keep them at a local vet or in my new home if I don't take them out. This above anything else keeps me from seriously considering a move to this beautiful island. Do all of the islands have the same restrictions?

I am also curious about real estate values. I would be looking for a property with acreage where I could keep my horse. I am currently living in Connecticut. On my last visit, about 4 years ago, I did not find things to be much more expensive than I am used to here but would like to be able to see some actual listings and prices of what is available.

Thank you.

Go to this link: Hawaii Real Estate Central - Honolulu Board of REALTORS (http://www.hicentral.com/properties/mls_statemap.asp - broken link)

It is the Honolulu Board of Realtors site where they also have the MLS linked to its home page. As the previous poster said any amount of acreage will cost millions on Oahu (even a small parcel could run 300-400k depending on where you look).

You are correct on the cost of living comparison. I'm living in Philadelphia currently and lived in San Diego after Hawaii and no there is not a major difference in cost of living between nicer areas of the Northeast U.S. and Oahu, although the Big Island is a bit cheaper.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
With a horse, Waimea (aka "Kamuela") on the Island of Hawaii (aka "the Big Island") or somewhere around that area would be a better choice than Oahu, IMHO. Many more horse people, more room to ride, less expensive to buy pasture, more vets that do horse care, easier to find farriers, etc.

There is a small airport in Waimea so you can catch a plane to Oahu for events and shopping.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,348 times
thank you all for your helpful tips and suggestions. While I was contemplating what to do, I found my dream home, right here in CT. So, now my plans for Hawaii will be limited to visiting only, unless I will the lottery or become a huge, best selling author, lol.

thank you all again and I wish you all a happy holiday season.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
If you do reconsider (I moved here while waiting to become a best selling author) I strongly suggest you consider the east side of the Big Island. I have several neighbors who keep horses nearby, and I just saw a 2 bedroom horse property sell for $175,000 in the area. Trust me, this area is in a completely different financial range than Oahu. Yet it's only 30 minutes to Hilo Airport.

Mele Kalikimaka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu