Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 AM

11 posts, read 32,043 times

Advertisements

Looking at moving to oahu coming up here (planning a trip to scope it out actually)

I am mostly looking to be within 30 mins of honolulu, but I dont want to live in the suburban sprawl (as in, I would prefer to have some vegetation between me and my neighbor- so I dont see their house ). I plan on buying a house and actually can spend up to 2.5 million so I am assuming I can get into a "nice neighborhood" of oahu. The thing is, I am not even sure where they might be.

The only thing I dont know of, is which of the areas might be best for not living in a all native neighborhood but also have some "haole's" around.

So with that, Is there any nice neighborhoods in the area I drew out? If not, any suggestions? Would prefer to be elevated vs on the beach, but Il take what I can get for some seclusion and relative safety vs the city.

http://ioj.com/ss/2010-12-15_0434.png (broken link)

Thanks!

One other question, that might come off weird:

Where do most "rich" people on oahu live?

Last edited by bostondano; 12-15-2010 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 AM

66 posts, read 233,331 times
Instead of saying "native", try local. Just a friendly suggestion.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondano View Post
Looking at moving to oahu coming up here (planning a trip to scope it out actually)

I am mostly looking to be within 30 mins of honolulu, but I dont want to live in the suburban sprawl (as in, I would prefer to have some vegetation between me and my neighbor- so I dont see their house ). I plan on buying a house and actually can spend up to 2.5 million so I am assuming I can get into a "nice neighborhood" of oahu. The thing is, I am not even sure where they might be.

The only thing I dont know of, is which of the areas might be best for not living in a all native neighborhood but also have some "haole's" around.
Kailua

Quote:
So with that, Is there any nice neighborhoods in the area I drew out? If not, any suggestions? Would prefer to be elevated vs on the beach, but Il take what I can get for some seclusion and relative safety vs the city.
The areas you outlined are mostly (except for upper Manoa Valley, Tantalus and Nuuanu Valley) mountainous and undeveloped. You could look in those three areas, but they don't match your other "wants".

Quote:
One other question, that might come off weird:

Where do most "rich" people on oahu live?
Kahala.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
Take this for what its worth, I personally dont think you will find what "you" are looking for on this island. And, given the criteria you stated on any other island for that matter. Yes, you will find plenty of "rich" people, and no, you wont find "them" all nestled all together in a tight knit community. There are certain areas where there is a higher percentage of "rich" people of course, but you are not going to find an area of all white, black, green purple or any other color for that matter. Remember this is an island, we all have to live together, side by side. Here, you might find a house that you love in "your upper" class bracket, and right next door you might have a house that by mainland standards would be shall we say in lesser demand. True there are several neighborhoods, but you will not find it as segregated as you sound like you are accustomed to. I myself live in an area that you might be warned not to frequent, but we love it here, have wonderful friends, and have been welcomed with open arms. Uppity mainland attitudes will not fly here. So do your research carefully, come and visit us, and see what you think. You might change you mind about moving to Hawaii after that. Sorry if this sounds rash, or rude, but thats just the way it is.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
In Hawaii 2.5 million does not really qualify as "rich". Lanikai, Portlock, Kahala, Tantalus, and upper Manoa are where those who are comfortable live. By the way there are a great many Haoles who are "Native" to Hawaii. We are not bound by color lines here and there are indeed many of Hawaiian blood that have homes well over the 2.5 price point!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
THIS MORNING"S Honolulu Advertiser is your friend. Very interesting breakdown of the new census statistics. Check their website.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondano View Post
No way anyone can answer unless you explain what you mean by "native". You do know that native Hawaiians are the minority on Oahu don't you? You need to explain if by native you mean you don't want to live around them dark skin people, or those with a bit of slanty eyes, or who are not desendents from european looking people. Would you accept a community of haole mexicans? Or what about Nigerian refugees, they ain't "native"?

As for where the rich live, they live all over. What is nice about Hawaii is you can;t tell that that little Japanesse lady living in her little house on a small lot is a millionaire. That Hawaiian looking native guy with the old beat up 12 year old toyota pickup, he owns the land some resort is leaseholding from. And that dark skin lady with her flower hat that everyone calls auntie and seems to just talk with the neighbors all the time and not do anything, she's the vice president of hawaii operations for a major fortune 100 company. By rich, do you mean mainland show it off, or rich as in I got more money in my christmas club at ASB than you will ever make in your lifetime? Hawaii is a fools paradise in some way cause people think the rich and wealthy show it off. The transplants may but local residents don;t need to flaunt their money like on the mainland.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Some of the richest people in Hawaii live at the beach. Some of the poorest people in Hawaii also live at the beach.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 PM

11 posts, read 32,043 times
Guys I am not racist or anything, Im just trying to avoid living in a area of oahu that would have me be the only white person around. If it came off bad, sorry- I am just trying to avoid a situation like moving to south central because I didnt know any better. Please dont take what I said the wrong way. Im not elitist, racist or crazy. I just want to move into a nice neighborhood. When I said what I did, I was just trying to avoid moving into a specific neighborhood that would have me be the only white dude around. I have no problem with being around other races (I have that now) - I was just told there is alot of racism in hawaii towards whites so I am trying to find a area where I wouldnt be the only one so as to minimize the risk.

Im just looking for information on what areas are safe, yet not completely urbanized

All I mean is, I dont want to live like this :

http://ioj.com/ss/2010-12-15_1838.png (broken link)

But rather like this: ( maps.google.com/maps?q=oahu&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pearl+City,+Honolulu,+Hawaii&g l=us&ll=21.326088,-157.815009&spn=0.011353,0.01796&t=h&z=17 )
http://ioj.com/ss/2010-12-15_1844.png (broken link)

While also being within 30 mins on honolulu and in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Last edited by bostondano; 12-15-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
If you mean Whites, you have to say Whites. If you mean non-whites, you have to say non whites.
Native may mean many thing to people. If you ask for an area thats not full of natives, you could be shown an area with few natives but nobody is white because they are mostly Japannese and Koreans. Or they can be from Samoa or Fiji and to most mainlander they all look Hawaiian even though they are not Hawaiian. Or you may not be shown a mainly white area because the poepl living there are all 2nd generation born on Hawaii which does make them native. Try to figure out what someone would show you if you said you want to be ina place with mostly native texans. You could find yourself the only white in a community of 3rd and 4th generation blacks or mexicans but they are native Texans.

So you need to be clear that you want a "White" neighborhood otherwise you can be smack in a area full of non native phillipinos. As i said, native blood Hawaiians are the minority on Oahu, so just about everyplace won;t be full of only native Hawaiians, but they will still full of those dreaded darkies, slant eyes, and a whole bunch of non white AMERICANS. I know they all look alike.

If I were you i would make the priority to be in an area free of cannibals. (Gee it's been almost 2 months since someone asked about being eaten by Hawaiian cannibals, had to throw that in)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu