Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times

Advertisements

I just arrived after a few years of planning. But since you are coming about the same time, perhaps this will help...

Rent:
A 1 bedroom will be hard to find in town for $1,100. I'm paying $1,150 for a 310' studio in the university district (mo'iliili).

Cellphone:
I was month to month on Verizon when I got here. Needed a smart phone with data plan for work. T-Mobile has a $79.99 plan with unlimited data and 1500 minutes a month. Bought the phone at Costco for $99, and it came with a car charger, bluetooth and carry case.

Insurance:
My insurance went up a bit, about $15 a month.

Cable, Intertnet, Phone:
Right now Hawaiian telecom is having a deal on phone/internet bundles. For $81 a month I am getting 11mbps and a land line with UNLIMITED inter-island and mainland long distance calling.
Pretty much nobody offers anything higher than 15mbps, and the cable company is EXPENSIVE. Couldn't get basic cable and the same download speed for anything less than $150 a month. So, I passed on cable. I watch all my favorite shows on the internet anyway.

Gas is pretty pricey, $3.69, but I don't have to drive far to work, so it's not really an issue (4mi).
I shipped my car, and it arrives next week. $1,074 from seattle. We sold my wife's car.

Speaking of cars, if you are in downtown or Waikiki, you have to pay ap remium for parking, usually $100 a month IF the unit has parking available. A couple places I looked at with Cirrus Mgmt didn't even have available spots. I still used Cirrus, for my current place, the staff is really responsive and nice. They were quick to replace light bulbs that were out upon moving in.

The security deposit was $500 + $250 because we have cats. We sold everything that didn't have sentimental value.

I bought a one-way ticket. Have the resources to fly back if it doesn't pan out. Also came with a job already waiting, so that made it TONS easier. Co-workers were an invaluable resource.

COSTCO...the executive membership is $100, but pays w% back and if they don't give you $50 back, you bring in the refund and they give you $50 off the net year membership. Gas is less expensive there, like other parts of the country.

Overall the move cost about $7,300, and I'm a cheap bstard when it comes to spending $$.

This was my first weekend here as a resident. A trip to the beach melted away any stress i had. Needed to re-apply sunscreen though...look like a lobster today.

Overall I find the community to be exeptionally friendly and real.
Best of luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu