Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

I'M MOVING FROM MY NATIVE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS TO HONOLULU IN 3 WEEKS.

SEEKING SOME INSIGHT ON MOVING TO HONOLULU PREFERABLY DOWNTOWN.

I WILL BE WORKING ON MERCHANT ST IN DOWNTOWN HONOLULU.

SEEKING TO RENT IN THE PRICE RANGE OF $400 - $800 PER MONTH.

NO PETS, NO CAR.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

P.S. I COOK A MEAN GUMBO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,607,758 times
There are about 10 post ever wee; asking about moving and the advice is still the same. Try reading as many prior post with any thing like "movong" "relocating" etc in the title.

But you did ask about a place, so may I ask this first: What do you think $400 to $800 is going to get you in downtown Honolulu? What type of place are you looking for, a room in some ones house, a condo, a 1 bedroom apartment?? It would help if you can narrow down what your looking for.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Agreed. In particular read the second "sticky" thread at the top of the page. It's chock full of useful information for people who are moving.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,871,452 times
Actually, at the lower end of that price range, he will be lucky to find an apartment to share somewhere over near Palama settlement. Not precisely a good area where I'd suggest a new mainland transplant to start.

Ask your employers if they have any suggestions or know of anyone who has a room to rent. They have a vested interest in getting you settled, so they might be helpful.

The Bus works pretty good in downtown area, plus you can get in and out of the area by bicycle or moped pretty easily if you select an apartment with that in mind. There are lots of places with hills, but most of them would be as you were going home so you'd be able to ride downhill to get to work and then uphill home and then have a shower. Plus I think you can put bicycles on the front rack of buses, too, although you may want to verify that.

Areas you may want to look for apartments to share would be downtown, Kakaako, Punchbowl, Moiliili, Makiki, Waikiki and Waialae. Don't rent in Kalihi or Palama without looking at the apartment and area first. Actually, don't rent anywhere without looking at the apartment and the area it is in first. Hawaii doesn't have whole homogenized areas like the mainland does, there can be a really nasty place directly next to a really nice place so you can't tell by knowing what area they are in.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 130,516 times
Hoodboss, best of luck to you! I'm still in research phase of planning a move to Oahu - native NO myself. Certainly, locals are best bet for where to look for apts. I've also been checking out Zillow dot com for rentals- caveat - some seem too good to be true.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,346,134 times
If your housing budget is $400 to $800 you are in trouble already.

Simply arrange for some temporary accommodations, i.e. a hotel room, for a week or two when you arrive. Get a good map book. Rent a car and drive around the areas that seem to work for you.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 37,886 times
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments is very helpful. I was told that the best way is to check Craigslist. (padmapper.com shows data from craigslist, btw.)

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Don't forget to check the newspaper... younger users think of Craig's List first, but older users, like property owners, tend to think of the newspapers first. Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper I see a current listing under Rooms for Rent for: "Honolulu/Kakaako Area. Near ward center, $435 incld utilities. Male Pref'd"

Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,086,371 times
I just moved to Honolulu, and like others have said, you won't find anything cheaper than $900, and that place was 210 sq feet, no parking, dirty and not very nice.

Perhaps rent a room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: