Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,245 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to consider living on Oahu away from the big city. We will be looking for something quiet. Any available 1 bedroom houses for rent for $800 a month or less? Where to look? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM

46 posts, read 110,356 times
You know what? This is a good question. I hope someone can help you with the answer because I'd love to know it, as well. But I'd like to add a question of my own.

Is it possible to find an apartment that cheap on any of the Islands? I imagine if you want to live a mainland life here on the Islands then rent will no doubt be high. But what if you go to Hawaii with the intention of simplifying and were just looking for a small place to shack up in for a few months? Are the pickings still really that slim? I found someone on YouTube recently documenting there year living in Hawaii and they were able to find cheap apartments in Kohala. They also had jobs on Mauna Kea and they weren't even finished with college.

When I see that and then browse these forums, I feel like people who are interested in moving are being dissuaded from it with realizations and truths about living in Paradise. Honestly, I think it's all about attitude and if you want to make it work, it will. This is what those people on YouTube believed as well and it worked for them.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM

806 posts, read 2,332,709 times
Yes it is partly about attitude, but mostly what others are trying to do is get people to realize the truths. You could find cheap places to sleep, hit the beaches all day, sightsee and whatnot, but after a while that will get old and then what??
I find it scary that the OP, seniors on a fixed income, would consider living out their days on Oahu. Rent usually goes up every couple of years, so they may find themselves having to downsize even more..possibly even to a less desirable neighborhood.

I try to encourage those who are able flexible with finding work and can tolerate moving around more, like younger singles.
I lived there just fine as a single person, and know I could do it again with my husband, but now that I have 2 kids to provide for, its not that easy..
I guess I'm not comfortable with the words "fixed income"!!

I think its a good possibility. There might be an Ohana to rent in that price range that would be long term and quiet. Just keep an open mind and live with aloha!

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM

My grandchildren are going to be on Oahu in Honolulu so that is why I ask. From what I've seen just looking on Craig's list and in the newspaper I would be lucky to find an apartment for $1200. It looks like the east side of the Big Island is what is most affordable for me. Yes, we are very open to down sizing and living "basic" style. BTW pardon my ignorance but what is an Ohana? Thanks to you who have responded I appreciate you input.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 PM

An Ohana is like a mother-in-law apt. Off the side of the main house or a separate unit. A lot of people rent them out.

Where do your grandchildren live on Oahu?

Are you going to have a car there?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM

A Senior Community - professional and courteous staff! CALL Today! (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/2202700320.html - broken link)

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,341,529 times
After your children and grandchildren move to Oahu, plan a trip of 2 or 3 weeks, or even more to see what you think. If you can stay with them fine, if not try for a "vacation rental" which is any rent where there is less than a 6 month lease. (incurs more taxes and is usually higher per month than said long term rental). Rates April thru October or Nov. are generally less than winter which is our high season.

Where will your children be living?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 AM

346 posts, read 963,971 times
Unless you want to move to Makaha or Wahiawa, you'll have a lot of trouble with that price range. Just for perspective, I rented a 250 square foot room with a sink and a hot plate for $800/month for a year and a half before I bought a 1BR condo. I could rent my place out for $1400/month.

Granted this was Kailua/Kaneohe, but still.

hawaii apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Lela View Post
From what I've seen just looking on Craig's list and in the newspaper I would be lucky to find an apartment for $1200. It looks like the east side of the Big Island is what is most affordable for me.
I live in Volcano, a half hour south of Hilo. There are currently a number of places for rent listed on the community center bulleting board that are not on Craig's List or in the papers. 1 BR places $600 up, 3 BR places $750 up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Lela View Post
BTW pardon my ignorance but what is an Ohana?
The word means "extended family," and it is applied to a second dwelling unit on a residential property, either attached or separate. In other words, an RS-1 lot can have 2 houses on it, so long as only 1 has a kitchen. Two of my neighbors have these. The idea is to keep the 2nd unit for actual "family," not for rental. But people being what they are, some ohanas do get put up for rental, rarely legal, and generally without a kitchen.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM

OpenD, Unfortunately my husband has serious joint problems (two hip replacements so far) so I think Volcano would be too cold and damp.
Sooooo warmth is in. Hopefully vog will be out.

Yes, we will have a car.

My children will be moving somewhere close to Honolulu as they will be opening a tattoo shop. ( They have one in Calif. now) They have a daughter who will be attending the school for the deaf in Honolulu as well. They hope to make the move in about a year and a half. We would like to move before another winter here in Northern New Mexico.

If we can't find anyone to ship from the mainland to us after we are settled,do people ship boxes to a post office general delivery before they have a permanent residence and then rent a storage unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu