Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
Here are some of my favorite things to do:

Manoa Falls - amazing little waterfall right outside of Waikiki with a short hike through a rain forest

Byodo Temple located in the Valley of the Kings Memorial Park

Chinaman's Hat just because no one is ever there

Lanikai beach

Sacred Falls, I truly miss and wish it would reopen

Waimea Bay when the waves aren't 20 foot lol

Shaved Ice good any where but especially delicious on the North Shore

Oh and I always stop by the Dole Plantation for a pineapple ice cream if I am just driving by

Have fun on your vacation! I wish I had a month to spend there!
I think you mean valley of the temples, but I could be wrong. Being Buddhist that seems mandatory.

I've written down your suggestions, thanks.
I think I need to get a map of Oahou and start sticking pins in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 PM

246 posts, read 650,113 times
One suggestion:
I created this one day itinerary for a mainland friend and copied/pasted it here, they liked it and i think you would too.
Spend a day to drive the entire island of Oahu. Weekday is better because you avoid the bad traffic, tourists, and general population out on the weekend.

-If you are in Waikiki start early like at 7-8am-ish and head east past Kapiolani park.
-Drive up diamond head road and park along the side at the lookout to take in the south waters.
-Continue on east past Kahala where the ultra rich live, pass by the mega mansions then onto kalanianaole hwy. Don't worry because you will be driving against traffic so it should be smooth sailing.
-Drive past Hawaii Kai then up to stop at Hanauma Bay for brief photo opportunity. (Dunno if you should go snorkling here because it won't compare to your great reefs.)
-Continue on to the winding roads of the coast where you pass sandy beach a popular local surf spot, then onto Makapuu bay. You can park and trek to the lighthouse. Great photo opps. If lucky you might spot some whales breaching.
-From here go North along the coast, pass by Waimanalo where Hawaiians call their home, up past the polo fields by the military base.
Stop off at Kailua and eat at Boots & Kimos. Mac nut pancakes with their special creme sauce and monster omletes.
-Continue on North driving along the coast, the beaches become less pretty, to Laie (sounds like la-ee-ay) and visit the Polynesian cultral center.
-Kamehameha Hwy takes you inland, pass through Kahuku, then lunch/snack at the shrimp truck on the side of the road. Shrimp and prawns are grown in nearby farms.
-Pass by Turtle Bay and the roads come closer to the coast and the beaches become prettier. You are now at the famous north shore.
-Stop of at Waimea Bay, if the winter swells calm down then take a dip and jump of the rock!
-Wash off then head into Waimea valley to the botanical park for a stroll.
-Continue on to Haleiwa (sounds like ha-lay-ee-va) to the small town and shop around. There is a small bakery there that have killer m&m cookies. Also get some shaved ice at Matsumoto's (think snow cones) with different flavored syrups. Take home a souviner shirt. (Caution tour buses drop off japanese tourists here and huge lines can sometimes form)
-Return south on Kam Hwy, you are now at the central part of the island.
-Visit the Hawaii's plantation village in Wahiawa. It is a museum that took the various ethnic plantation homes and located them here for preservation. Tours would be great, otherwise it would seem like you're visiting a bunch of old houses without understanding the nuances of old hawaii plantation history.
-Head south to Pearl Harbor then return in the afternoon to Waikiki.

Note, you should do research for hours and tours in the places in interests and schedule your time, but I think you can do all this in a day.

Also some places to visit near Waikiki requiring car:
Rainbow drive inn - get a plate lunch with slushi float
Catch of the day - try the 30 types of poke (think chevice) order the furikake salmon (poached salmon with aiole sauce - to die for!)
Also check out yelp for places of interest especially food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu