Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,068,891 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be here a month and dont want to fart around missing days and opportunities. I'm not one for lying on the beach, I like to do stuff.

So what should I do?
I have the usual right now

Learn to surf
Dive some nice places (any suggestions?)
Snorkle some nice places (any suggestions?)
Walk up the montain on diamond head
Attend services at the Jodo Shinshu temple
Visit the Honolulu Fish market and eat at Tamashiro's

OK, that's 6 I could use about 20 more

I'll be taking a flight to walk up the active volcano

Then after the month spending 4 days at the north end of Kuai and 3 at the south end

Any suggestions would be great.
If I'm asking too many questions. Please just ignore my posts.

It's getting near 10:00 so I'm off to stock provisions, rash guard, more sun screen, hat, light wetsuit (any suggestions on where to buy the we suit?)
I' going to head to costco. Then to get groceries.

I would REALLY appreciate a suggestions on where to get groceries near the air force base or Pearl.

Thanks

Scottsman in Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Hiking the bamboo trail at the top of Tantalus drive is always nice. As well as "Angel's Walk" over on the Kaneohe side. If you can catch a boat ride out to the sandbar in Kaneohe bay, that's nice, too. Lanikai and Kailua beach are nice, you could do a beach comparison. There are a lot of botanical gardens to walk through, if you like gardens.

Eat at Tamashiro's? Isn't that sort of a take out sort of buy raw ingredients place? Poke, maybe? Isn't Tamashiro's the one in Kalihi with the big red crab on the front of the building?

The active volcano is kinda flat, volcanoes aren't all pointy shaped like they draw them in pictures. At least the Hawaii volcanoes aren't. You could overnight on the Big Island and check out the observatories. They have telescopes at the ranger station halfway up the mountain to the observatories. The Big Island has great night skies.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
A popular snorkeling place on the westside is Electric beach. I see many snorkeling cruises out there. If you like hiking, Kaena Point is a great hike.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,225 times
Bucket List:
Pali lookout (on the way to Kailua Beach to rent kayak to paddle to Goat Island.) Bring parking $$.
Haunama bay snorkeling. Go early, yes it's touristy, but who cares?
The North Shore for wave watching.
Body Surfing at sandy's (first beach past Haunama bay)
Germain's Luau is fun.
Submarine Ride was fun as well.

The diamond head hike is easy, but has a HUGE reward.

Have fun!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 AM

66 posts, read 233,270 times
Rent a kayak in Kailua and paddle to the Mokulua's.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,047 times
Matsumoto's Shave Ice near Wailea, get one with the beans and icecream in the bottom
Visit Pearl Harbor
Visit Dole Pineapple Plantation

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 AM

346 posts, read 967,662 times
This is stuff on my list (and I live here)

Stairway to Heaven (it's not technically legal, look up how to get it done online)
Skydive at Mokuleia
Hike to the top of Konahuanui

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM

263 posts, read 1,004,910 times
If skydiving at Mokuleia is not your cup of tea (I've been doing it all my life but I understand if it's not for you) then take a glider ride at the same airport. The view from a couple thousand feet up in near silence is sweet.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Body Surfing at sandy's (first beach past Haunama bay)
!!
Oh my gawd, that was fun!!!!

I went in at 2:00 and had a great time paddling out and riding the waves.
I took a break after that for about 10 minutes just resting and enjoying the view. Then at 2:10 I tried to get more than 20 feet out but the waves kept beating me back. rested for 5 minutes at 2:30 to see how other were doing it.
Tried again to get back out past the break. Kept trying, kept trying, then positioned my board wrong and got cracked so hard in the head I broke the board. Felt a little funny so I climbed out and rested then went home.

Question: Are the orange flags always out on the beach warning about big waves?

Another strange thing About 2:20 the hawaii police showed up along with two large trucks labeled "ICE Hawaii Police Investigations Unit". Then a stretch limo pulled up and sat there for about 15 minutes before they all left together.
What is up with that?

Scotsman in Hawaii (with a headache)

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,225 times
Good lord. Um, no, they only put the orange flags out when it's dangerous.

I was in that swell thursday night and it was crazy. Short period and 7'. That equates to a bathtub like experience with some real pounders. I only lasted a few times, coming back in breathing super heavy before I called it good. Only had about 15 min left of light anyway.

If you lasted more than 45 minutes or more...dang impressive. Usually it's a different break. Calmer with big sets that tube and crash on the sand. Much more organized waves and less of a workout. Way to go for it though!!!

The weather will be dark and rainy again tomorrow, but Sandy's will be a little more organized if you go again.

ICE Police? Wild. I haven't seen any drug issues there aside from the local boys token the maui wowie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu