Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,740 times

Advertisements

I need some serious help. We are a military family who just moved here from Virginia. My kids have never had to do a military move up until this past December. We are living in the Ewa Beach area of Oahu and my daughter is not having any luck on making new friends. She is a beautiful blond girl with blue eyes and the sweetest personality. She has made a few friends from school, but they will not hang out with her on the weekends, because they do not want to be seen with the white girl. My question is this.....does anyone know of places or groups where she can meet other kids like herself? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

She is not a shy child by an means, but she would love to meet people who are in the same situation as she.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Wouldn't there be some programs for kids on the military base? They would all be recently relocated and looking for friends, too. Otherwise, try the beach at the Hale Koa. In Waikiki she can be a "local" since most of the folks there would be tourists.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM

We have looked into the Navy programs, but there really isn't that much for her. We have been to Waikiki and the Hale Koa several times, but have had no luck there as well. We live in the Ewa Beach area and are amongst the locals. She goes to a locals school which has not been a good experience for her, so next year we are putting the kids into a school closer to the base. If anyone has an 11 year old daughter who is looking to meet other girls her age, please contact me, as I would love for her to meet more people her age and who are going through the same things. Thanks for your posts and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twins2003 View Post
My question is this.....does anyone know of places or groups where she can meet other kids like herself? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
If your daughter's interested in dance, there are several hula hālau near Ewa Beach where she can learn about the culture and history of Hawai'i as well as make good friends. There's also Kama'āina Kids, which offers a variety of activities for kids....
Kama'aina Kids

Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks Jonah K for the info, I will look into them this week. This information is very helpful, and much appreciated.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Have you tried girls scouts? Its tough in the middle of the year, but most troops will take new girls, if the parents offer to volunteer. Or you could offer to start a new troop, if ones not available.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I am really surprised that she cannot find friends in Ewa Beach. There are SO many Military kids in most of the "new" areas (as opposed to housing built before 1990). I just (last week) moved from Ocean Pointe and most of the kids were Military. It may be because we lived next to the pool but there were so many kids around.

Have your daughter try the teen center (or whatever the Navy equivalent may be), or find an activity that she really enjoys (that way she will find other kids with similar tastes.

I wish you the best of luck; I remember when we moved with our kids and it was not always easy for them.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 16,786 times
I hate to sound like the Bible thumper but have you tried any local churches and the youth groups that they might have.
The idea of the Hula classes is a good one I think because she will be showing an interest in the culture.
I live Ewa Beach and am military as well, lucky for me my local neighbors are awesome and they have never looked at me or my family any different, good luck with this one HI can be a hard place for us white people to fit in.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your helpful advise. I just checked into the Teen Center here on base and I will be taking her there on Saturday to check things out. I have signed her up for guitar lessons in hopes that she would meet people at the studio, but unfortunatly, those are more one on one lessons with the teachers. We will continue to keep looking as I know there is so many opportunities here to get out and enjoy what Hawaii has to offer. I just really need to keep on looking and let her try things out in order to find out what she would like get involved in. Again, thanks to all for you help and advise.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
Is she even remotely interested in sports? There are so many different programs available, so she may find one that suits her. Soccer, tennis, cheerleading,fencing, martial arts and paddling to mention a few.

Does your home have access to a pool? This is usually a great way to meet kids of her own age. There is just something about pools that make people friendlier (do not go with her and keep calling her name and treating her like a 4 year old). You might wish to physically keep an eye on her while lounging quietly if you do not allow her in the pool without supervision.

How long have you been in Hawaii? I am sure that she will eventually find friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu