Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm just used to getting gas that often. It will wear off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
not if you like to keep your tank full too. A gas tank only holds so much gas dont matter if you fill it a 3/4 of a tank or wait until its empty. If you like to wait to fill up when almost empty, and someone with the same size tank fills up at 3/4 of a tank, then assuming you both keep your tanks full you will spend the same money providing you pay the same for gas and get the same mpg.
If I fill up costs me about $60.
He fills up twice as often as I do or x2
Say, I fill up 12 times a year, then I pay $720 a year
If I filled up twice as often I'd be paying $1,440 !

Wanna buy a waterproof watch?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
The only real way to save $$ on gas is to drive less or get a car that gets better gas mileage. The gas issue is horrible. And it's not going to get any better.

The Bus on Oahu is actually really easy to use and affordable, too, especially when you consider parking. Bikes are awesome, too, especially with that lovely Hawaii weather!! You're so lucky. Its been cold and rainy ever since we got back to Oregon. I am missing the warmth and sun already and we haven't even been back 30 days! *boo hoo*

Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM

77 posts, read 212,987 times
Thanks DThraco We fill up when we get between 1/4 and 1/2 too but we come from where it's snowy and cold and it was what you did in case you got stuck out in BFE and had to wait out a snow storm. I can't believe I'm saying this, but $3.85 doesn't sound so horrible - it's $3.65 here so that's not quite as big a difference as we've been expecting. I lived in Europe for a few years and was paying more than this 7 years ago (if we didn't have the DoD ration certificates) so I keep thinking about it in those terms to try to feel a little better. I think we drive a lot more now than we will when we get to HI. My husband commutes 35 minutes to and from Seattle every day and my daughters' daycare is 20 minutes each way plus I commute another 20 minutes each way to school, and anytime we need to get out of the rain we drive several hours for a day trip or into Seattle to hit up the aquarium. Much more driving than we should be doing. We might actually save on gas out there since we won't have to try so hard to get someplace nice (hopefully just walk outside)!
There, I just made myself feel better again

Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Hmm, so if in the 35 minute commute, the car only goes seven miles, does it get better gas mileage than the same 35 minute commute at highway speeds?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but $3.85 doesn't sound so horrible - it's $3.65 here so that's not quite as big a difference as we've been expecting.
Ooops, you blinked. Today the average price in Hawai'i is $4.12/gal*, which is about .61 more than the mainland average, about .42 more than the prices here a month ago, and .62 more than a year ago. And the trend continues upward.

I hear what you are saying about European gas prices, but there are lots of differences in our situations, including substantially better alternatives to driving there, shorter driving distances, and punitive taxes intended to discourage driving.

Funny thing to me is that with the distances involved and the cost of gas, I'd think by now much smaller cars would absolutely rule in Hawai'i, like they do in Europe, but in practice I don't see it.

*GasBuddy

Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM

77 posts, read 212,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Ooops, you blinked. Today the average price in Hawai'i is $4.12/gal*, which is about .61 more than the mainland average, about .42 more than the prices here a month ago, and .62 more than a year ago. And the trend continues upward.

I hear what you are saying about European gas prices, but there are lots of differences in our situations, including substantially better alternatives to driving there, shorter driving distances, and punitive taxes intended to discourage driving.

Funny thing to me is that with the distances involved and the cost of gas, I'd think by now much smaller cars would absolutely rule in Hawai'i, like they do in Europe, but in practice I don't see it.

*GasBuddy
There you go, making feel all stressed about gas again Crappy non-renewable resources. We traded our van for a Civic and when we don't have our 3rd kiddo (our step-daughter who lives on the BI), that'll be the primary vehicle we use.
I agree, Europe does have much better mass transit systems and they do attempt to make things more pedestrian friendly but as with anywhere else, it's highly dependent on your particular situation. I lived in rural areas (Sicily and Capodoccino) but worked on base so the only "public transportation" available was car-pooling with friends, which we did often (as long as our watch schedules didn't interfere). The limitation on our fuel rations was intended to encourage this and using trains to travel on leave (which we did as much as we could). My car was a little bitty Fiat that went forever on a tank but it was still pretty expensive. I guess I just use the experience to give me some perspective when I get mad at the rising prices. They're absolutely ridiculous and I wish the powers-that-be would take some social responsibility and encourage development of more sustainable resources rather than trying to suck every last penny out of our current system as they possibly can before they're forced into having to do it (which I believe will eventually happen, but it's already too late to make it a smooth transition). I'm still hoping we'll drive less there so it'll at least balance what we spend here. $0.50/gal more...wow...that's $6/fill up more in one car and $9 in the other. That's really crappy

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Hey OD!!! You gettin,,, uuuurrrrpppp,,,, scuze me,,, hitched????? Don't let this guy lose his Mom!!

Aloha,,, hows them beaches in Volcano anyway.............

Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 PM

406 posts, read 865,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
There you go, making feel all stressed about gas again Crappy non-renewable resources. We traded our van for a Civic and when we don't have our 3rd kiddo (our step-daughter who lives on the BI), that'll be the primary vehicle we use.
<SNIP> They're absolutely ridiculous and I wish the powers-that-be would take some social responsibility and encourage development of more sustainable resources rather than trying to suck every last penny out of our current system as they possibly can before they're forced into having to do it (which I believe will eventually happen, but it's already too late to make it a smooth transition). I'm still hoping we'll drive less there so it'll at least balance what we spend here. $0.50/gal more...wow...that's $6/fill up more in one car and $9 in the other. That's really crappy
Have you seen this? Hawaii to roll-out large scale public electric vehicle charging infrastructure

Quote:
AeroVironment and Better Place are among six organizations to receive a share of US$2.6 million in federal stimulus funding as part of Hawaii's push to boost electric vehicle infrastructure. AeroVironment's $820,000 contract will see up to 320 of its EV charging docks rolled-out on the islands while the $854,000 awarded to Better Place will support the introduction of EVs to a rental car fleet as well as installation of charging stations.
The contracts were announced by the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT) as part of the EV Ready Grant Program.
AeroVironment will install public and semi-private charging docks throughout Oahu, Hawaii Island, Maui, and Kauai. Data collection and analysis of the effect of charging infrastructure on the power grid forms part of the contracts and the company will partner with The Hawaii Natural Energy Institute (HNEI), University of Hawaii at Manoa on this aspect of the project.
The remainder of the $2.6 million grants went to GreenCar Hawai'i ($200,000) , to introduce EVs to car-sharing services within the hospitality industry, Countyof Kauai, ($267,000), City & County of Honolulu ($400,000) for charging stations on Oahu, EVs and an online charger permitting system Plug In America ($50,000 for public education including an EV Ready Guidebook for Hawaii).
A rebate of up to $500 for installing charging docks is on offer from the State of Hawaii while EV purchasers are eligible for a rebate of up to $4,500. Hawaii has set a target of 70 percent clean energy by 2030. Currently around 268 of Hawaii's 900,000 + vehicles are registered as EVs.
Via Aerovironment, Better Place.
EVs may be good for Hawaii.

Mickey

Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
I think Hawai'i is a great place for electric vehicles... trips here tend to be shorter than other areas, we've got lots of sunshine for solar charging posts, etc... but even with the seed money mentioned, I just don't know where all the rest of the money will come from to build out the needed infrastructure. My former employer in Austin built some great solar charging spots in the employee parking lot, despite there being no demonstrated need yet, but they've got a gazillion bucks in the bank.

How many Hawaiian companies have the extra money to spend right now in order to qualify for the rebates or matching funds?

Last edited by OpenD; 03-24-2011 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu