Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidels View Post
I also live in Bham and my hubby and I have been exploring the idea of an Oahu move for about a year and a half now. We've both been here for years, and while it has it's positives we are both more than ready to go. Especially as October really sets in, and we gear up for eight straight months of gray sideways drizzle and rain showers as penance for two glorious months of Summer. I'm sure you know just what I'm talking about.

We've been doing a lot of research and reading. We'll be heading over in November to spend some time checking it out. I was wondering if you'd mind if I PM'd you re: finding a good downtown building, budget, and process? It's just the hubs, dog and I.
A good friend of mine in Seattle told me something funny the other day. He said it only rains twice in Seattle. Once for 6 months, and once again for 2 months. So yeah, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

You can PM if you like, no worries. Most of my moving experience is on the forum in my posts, but if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 11,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
A good friend of mine in Seattle told me something funny the other day. He said it only rains twice in Seattle. Once for 6 months, and once again for 2 months. So yeah, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

You can PM if you like, no worries. Most of my moving experience is on the forum in my posts, but if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.
Ha Ha! That is fantastic and sadly accurate. I was born here, so you think I'd be really accustomed to it, but I have to say as the years go by I am less and less okay with being damp AND cold (and miserable) for months on end. Blech, we're so over it.

I will pour over your past posts first, thank you! We're trying to figure out that fine line between too little and just enough rent to budget, so I was particularly interested in your statement about raising your rent budget and that making such a big difference in options. I have looked at a wide range of rents, and sometimes I can tell a big difference but other times not. Avoiding gross buildings and extreme noise is really important to us, as working professionals who are also in school. We juggle a number of deadlines and the workload is something else...so location is important in that regard. Okay, you'll probably be hearing from me soon. Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidels View Post
We're trying to figure out that fine line between too little and just enough rent to budget, so I was particularly interested in your statement about raising your rent budget and that making such a big difference in options....
I'm not a fan of walk-up buildings, or community laundry. The rent "classes" in town seem to go like this:
Up to about $1,200; Trashy, dirty, scary, hot, coin op laundry.
$1,200 - $1,500; Do-Able, but still coin op laundry and likely no AC
$1,500 - $1,900; Good range without being too expensive. AC in unit, Washer and dryer in unit, some buildings with all bills paid.
$1,900 - $2,100; Nicer places, borderline on the nicer newer buildings
$2,100 - up; Great places with great views, but grr on the rent amount.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan of walk-up buildings, or community laundry. The rent "classes" in town seem to go like this:

In town - that low end number is more likely 1,000 square feet or less.....

$3,000+ to get into the 1,500 sq ft range.....

Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM

174 posts, read 349,222 times
If you will have a car, make sure it includes parking!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,566 times
Quote:
Up to about $1,200; Trashy, dirty, scary, hot, coin op laundry.
$1,200 - $1,500; Do-Able, but still coin op laundry and likely no AC
$1,500 - $1,900; Good range without being too expensive. AC in unit, Washer and dryer in unit, some buildings with all bills paid.
$1,900 - $2,100; Nicer places, borderline on the nicer newer buildings
That is *exactly* what I was looking for. You can kind of get a sense of it by wading through the ads, but of course without being there it's difficult for me to tell. We also have the dog-son, and I am super aware of the limiting factor there. I read in another thread that beginning in November landlords will be able to collect an extra deposit instead of additional rent (or maybe in addition to), and hopefully that helps. Thank you so much!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Getting a place is a bit of a game. There are the units that are ALWAYS available..mostly the one's by Cirrus Asset Management. I had positive overall dealings with them, but they do charge $25/mo per pet.

I say it's a bit of a game because once you look through the existing listings, it then becomes a game of wait and see what comes up. The issue is that there are several other folks watching too. So, when something good comes up, it gets grabbed quick. This is why having a 'temporary' interim place till you find something good is so advantageous.

We just got back from vacation last week on the mainland. Definitely good to be home. The sunset last night was breathtaking...
Attached Thumbnails
Been on Oahu for a little over a month...some observations-sunset-10-14-13.jpg  

Old 10-20-2013, 12:32 AM

24 posts, read 48,957 times
What a great post! So much information has been shared by so many people. I have many of the same thoughts that you had DTHRACO, coming from the mainland, we were able to purchase 8 years ago....coming back and forth for 6 years, we knew what we wanted to do was move. Got all ducks in a row, we sold EVERYTHING and jumped. Leaving family on mainland was a huge concern, how would I do??? well, the answer is :FINE!! As crazy as this is I see them more than I ever have, wait for good airfares to go and them come. Relationships are better, it's kinda amazing.
We are in a little different situation as we live on the North Shore, so things are a little different here. Yes, we drive into "town" sometimes once a week....we have gotten the strangest remarks from shop people etc ,"You staying for the night?"..makes me giggle inside, it takes us an hour to come home. I can remember sitting on the 405 for 2 hours coming from LAX or Santa Monica to Ventura...so an hour with a beautiful drive.. no problem!
I know it different for everyone, we also are puzzled about "island fever".. there is so much to do here, there is atleast 3 different things to choose each weekend. We don't really have time to think I am on an island..well maybe if I am sitting in "turtle traffic"..lolol Where do people think they drive on the mainland?? Do they get in there care and drive to Nevada or NYC on the regular basis????? But I acknowledge it is different things for different people.
Do I miss some things?? ummmm..ummmm....Trader Joes, ummumm, that's it. BIG deal!
Would I give it up to be in a state that the Govenor is completely distroying it? that the school system is as bad as here.. to have people honking and flipping me off. I go visit my family in Santa Cruz (by California standard is mellow) and when it's time to go.. get me outa there!!
Cost of living.. ye, it's higher in places.. but you learn how to work with it and you can, frankly our cost of living is lower..because of the cost of living in California. (I know you were from Washington)
Gas : e never leave out tank under 1/2 gallon, learned that from the Tsunami "warning" last year...keep it 1/2 full IF you have to get outa Dodge.
So, I will continue to drive 30 miles to go to town on a road that is 35mph, listening to Pandora and relaxing...while sometimes stopping at dole for a yummy Dole whip, or Kuru Kuru in Aiea for dinner out of town.
thanks for the post, I should have done it a long time ago!!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,349 times
Wow! There is a lot of great information in this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I'm gathering all the information I can.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@Dthraco Aloha,

Lol it sounds like your losing your Milhini(newcomer) phase and gaining your transplant phase lol, Congrads. It only gets better with time and coupled with the ability to have acceptance(which sounds like you have done) and awareness are all keys to success. As a suggestion only, make sure you take time to enjoy the things that make Hawai'i different besides its weather and slow pace of life, experience unique foods you can't get on the mainland, take advantage of the asian part of the culture, checkout the Obon festival since it october. Get involved in the community if you have time? These things will also open up a new awareness and bring with it more rewards.

Isnt it great it be able to slow down and enjoy a slower pace? My hope will be that you will find that love for Hawai'i that you hear some people talk about. P.S. Make sure you get out of town once in awhile lol. And in a good way im envious of you. E'Mahalo Aloha A hui hou.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-20-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu