Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
My initial thought was this could be a troll post, maybe, maybe not, but the whole thing still feels a bit odd.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Doesn't quite compute. But at least the responses were reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
My initial thought was this could be a troll post, maybe, maybe not, but the whole thing still feels a bit odd.
I thought the situation seemed a little odd as well, until I realized that the OP, her husband, and their friends are probably in the military.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,713 times
you cant assume that they are in the military. I prefer to think tourists.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Howzit, timbo. Here is a post from the OP stating she lives "on base".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ing-areas.html

Old 03-18-2011, 02:47 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Quote:
Unless Waikiki has drastically changed in the past few years, I'm kinda wondering about this whole topic. Generally, the ki's are the most heavily patrolled areas on Oahu. You just don't get that many altercations in Waikiki and if you do there is immediate police response. Any time anyone messes with the tourists they get stepped on immediately and to have what sounds like a roving gang of locals messing with what could be tourists just isn't something that happens all that often, let alone in Waikiki. This sounds like somewhere in certain areas of Kalihi, maybe Hotel street in the 70's, but not in Waikiki.

I beg to differ. I live in Makiki and used party frequently in Waikiki. If you are at a popular nightclub, then you probably won't run into a roving gang of locals. (which is why I said in a previous post about being surprised at how deserted Kuhio Ave. was near my friend's condo at Liliuokalani Gardens)

However if you're in other areas, from my experience you just might.

A friend of mine lives in a penthouse condo on Koa Ave., and from his terrace overlooking all those narrow alleyways and side streets (where tall and midsize buildings obscure the view at street level) you see drug dealing, fights, and even people being robbed sometimes! Especially at night.

When I worked at U.H. 7 years ago, part of my job was to hire and train student assistants. A student assistant from Norway told me her Swedish friend was walking with two other female friends on Kuhio Avenue after midnight and she was pulled into an alleyway and raped by several men.

Her friend was so traumatized, that she caught the next plane back to Sweden without seeking medical help and reporting it to the police.

I don't care how many police are in Waikiki, they can't be everywhere at once.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,713 times
yes, after reading the post one can pretty much assume they are military, which as someone else said could go a long way to explain what happened.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
Maybe they got hit for being trolls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu