Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,031 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
If I were to describe the perfect place to live in Oahu, could you name that neighbourhood? Let's try and see!

I wake up in the morning to see the waves rolling in on shore. I step outside sipping my coffee watching my dog roll around in the grass. It's nice not to hear rush hour traffic. When the baby wakes from her nap, I'll take her for a walk to the park for a little exersice. Feeling a little famished, I stop in at my favorite little place for a light lunch. After an afternoon swim at the pool I hop in the car to nip down and pick up a few groceries. As usual, I can't resist and also do a little clothes shopping too. It's date night so when the hubby gets home from work we head out for a nice dinner on the town.

WANTS vs NEEDS
want to see the ocean
want to swim in the ocean
want to walk with the baby
want to live in a safe environment
want to have shopping nearby (groceries & clothes)
want a nice view (mountain or ocean)
want a pool (private or community)
want less than a 45 min commute (Sand Island)
want 2 parking spots
want nice neighbours
want, want, want...

but in reality, we only NEED:
a place to live (condo, townhouse or house)
budget of $500-700K to purchase
dog-friendly bldg
easy, convenient living

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 AM

82 posts, read 205,383 times
I have an awesome realtor who helped me find my place. I would put it on here but might be violating the rules against advertising? In your price range there is lots of places available, two bedroom, two bath, two parking condos etc. or single family homes. I can send her your information if you like.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,068 times
I live in the Punchbowl area. My condo (2 br, 2.5 ba, 2 parking) was in the range you cite. I can't (quite) see the ocean, but the upper floors can. (My car can see it.) The building is super pet friendly, nice neighbors, parks & playgrounds nearby. The building has a pool, though the beach is a bit of a trip. We can hop on the Pali easily and be at Kailua in 20... that's usually our choice. Though Ala Moana is closer, we can't bring the pup there.

Groceries ... depends on what you want. There's a close Foodland that I don't like that much, a close Safeway that's OK. A further Foodland that's better. But truth is I tend to stick to farmers' markets and Costco, all of which require a bit of a trip, but give me what I want at a better price.

It's very quiet (near the highway but far enough up and around to have no real noise). Best thing is that it's a quick trip to downtown or Chinatown, very walkable if you want (we do that on First Friday). Waikiki isn't far when you want to go there as well. For shopping... well, I'm not much of a shopper so I can't help there. But Ala Moana is not too far, I guess... maybe a 5-10 min drive.

There are (at least) two units for sale in my building, and there are other buildings nearby (also pet friendly) with similar amenities. I like the area quite a lot. Just a thought.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,031 times
Dear "Kualoa",
Thanks for your willingness to share your realtor information. We have been assigned a realtor through my husbands work, but pretty much we have to decide where we want to live and then he will show us some properties in that neighborhood. Although I have been to Oahu 3 times before, I was always a tourist and since i never really thought I'd be living there one day, I didn't pay much attention to surrounding neighborhoods. Since I don't know where to start, any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. PS, my husband informed me he would like to swim in the ocean every day...if that is possible! Thanks again!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM

140 posts, read 407,414 times
you might want to look at the moana pacific condos. don't know about the dog though. your realtor may have to look if there's actually apartments too. it's an ideal location and would probably fit you well.

Moana Pacific - Honolulu, Hawaii Condo by HIcondos.com

Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 PM

75 posts, read 226,047 times
Honestly, only you can really answer these questions for yourself. You'll have to rent a place for a few months to give yourself time to explore the various neighborhoods and decide what's right for you. Some places here, like anywhere, look either really good or really bad on paper, but turn out to be nothing like what you expect. I was sure, positive in fact, that I didn't want to live as far away from HNL as Kaneohe. And where do you think you couldn't make me move from now?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Here ya go! The 2 parking space would be the possible exclusion in your price range.

Diamond Head Region Condos CMA View

Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,231 times
Based on your wants and that you have a dog and a baby. I would say buy a single family home or a 2-story townhouse with a yard/garage. My recommendations for areas would be:
Pearl City (older homes, but closer to Sand Island).
Makakilo (new and older homes, but further out - depending on traffic, they commute might be closer to 1 hour).

Both those areas should offer a view of the ocean.

Ewa Beach is a consideration too, but no ocean views. It's on a plain, near the ocean.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Can't add a thing except to tell you that when I say the title of your thread, I thought to myself: THAT would be a GREAT book title!!!!

Carry on with the discussion!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,029 times
Another interesting thread. Would be great to get an update from the OP. What did you decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu