Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,642 times

Advertisements

I like the information you have shared to us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
Good luck!! Sounds wonderful!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 11,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny22 View Post
Hello everyone. I will be visiting Oahu, specifically Kailua, from May 21-28. I plan on proposing to my longtime girlfriend while in Hawaii and need your help.

I am open to any and all suggestions, but as of now I was thinking of proposing on a beach during either sunset or sunrise. I have heard that North Shore is a neat place to go during sunset, but I would like any info on specifics that you can provide...

-At North Shore, how many people are usually on the beach around sunset?
-Do you think it would be better to do sunset around North Shore or sunrise around Kailua?
-Any specific spots or beaches that I should look into? I have heard good things about the area near Keiki Beach Bungalows, any thoughts?

One idea I had was to go to an early dinner somewhere near North Shore, and then possibly walk to the beach where I could propose. Are there any restaurants nearby? And, is this feasible?

I would love any feedback you could provide, or any other ideas as well!
Sun always set on the west so the north is not a good place. Go to Waikiki that's where all the tourists like you go so you will fit right in.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,210 times
What happened after all??? tell us!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,457 times
Do tell!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM

159 posts, read 367,328 times
Yes, please do! We promised not to tell anyone else!! Really!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Dinner at Hau Tree Lanai around sunset on a Friday. Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

It's on the far east end of Waikiki, and after sunset (7pm), you can see the Friday night fireworks (7:40pm) across the water that are put on in Waikiki. (you see them across the water because of the curve of Waikiki beach.)

Would be pretty easy to call ahead and have the manager bring over a lei for your bride to be.
And champagne.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM

76 posts, read 147,421 times
Default Proposal ideas

Congratulations to you! Kailua beach overlooking two offshore island called the Mokes would be lovely. There are quite a few people on the beach, but no one would be overly nosy or in your business. If you and your girl are really adventurous, you could rent a tandem kayak from Two Good Kayaks in Kailua Town, and then paddle out to the Moke on the left and propose there while on a hike. If you pay an extra fee the kayak can be hauled down to a beach right across from the off-shore bird sanctuary (the Mokes) and the paddle will be shorter. It is an easy paddle over calm water, so as long as you stay off the reef, which they will explain to you.

Also Ocean House Restaurant in Waikiki at sunset, or Waimea Falls might also be good choices. Good luck to you!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 AM

4 posts, read 8,775 times
SHE SAID YES!

I'm back to report on how it went, and I would like to thank everyone again for all the suggestions.

Here is what I ended up doing:
I told her that we had reservations at 6:30 for dinner. What she didnt know is that I would be proposing at that time and we didnt have reservations until 8pm. We drove from Kailua to Hawaii'kai via the Kalanianaole Highway that overlooked the ocean.

We drove to a place called Spitting Caves (pictures HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathermandale/3578563592/in/photostream - broken link) and
HERE), where I had a friend of mine go ahead of time and setup a blanket, cooler with champagne, and 2 glasses. We arrived right at sunset, where I lead her down to the cliff to the blanket that was setup for us. I did my thing and proposed, and afterwards we enjoyed a glass of champagne and watched the waves crash against the rocks and the sun set beneath the horizon. It was truly one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.

Once we left Spitting Caves, we headed to Hau Tree Lanai restaurant at Sans Souci beach, just east of Waikiki. It is a restaurant that is basically on the beach and is lit by tiki torches. It was a great way to celebrate the occasion and have an intimate setting.

Thanks again to everyone for your help! The night was absolutely perfect, and if anyone is looking for a very private, romantic, picturesque venue to propose, I would suggest Spitting Caves 10 out of 10 times.

MAHALO!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Congrats!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu