Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,776 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I will be visiting Oahu, specifically Kailua, from May 21-28. I plan on proposing to my longtime girlfriend while in Hawaii and need your help.

I am open to any and all suggestions, but as of now I was thinking of proposing on a beach during either sunset or sunrise. I have heard that North Shore is a neat place to go during sunset, but I would like any info on specifics that you can provide...

-At North Shore, how many people are usually on the beach around sunset?
-Do you think it would be better to do sunset around North Shore or sunrise around Kailua?
-Any specific spots or beaches that I should look into? I have heard good things about the area near Keiki Beach Bungalows, any thoughts?

One idea I had was to go to an early dinner somewhere near North Shore, and then possibly walk to the beach where I could propose. Are there any restaurants nearby? And, is this feasible?

I would love any feedback you could provide, or any other ideas as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,411 times
Check out Turtle Bay Hilton Resort. It is a beautiful place with amazing beaches, on the tip of the N.Shore. I bet you could have a nice dinner or drinks in the beachside lounge and do it on the beach there, or..

Waimea Bay is right down the road, it's beautiful at Sunset.

When I lived there, there didn't seem to be too many people on the beaches, a few strollers, but they wouldn't intrude at all.

Kailua seems more crowded to me.

Good luck!!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Dinner at Hau Tree Lanai around sunset on a Friday. Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

It's on the far east end of Waikiki, and after sunset (7pm), you can see the Friday night fireworks (7:40pm) across the water that are put on in Waikiki. (you see them across the water because of the curve of Waikiki beach.)

Would be pretty easy to call ahead and have the manager bring over a lei for your bride to be.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
Waikiki has a fabulous sunset. If you're going all the way out to the North Shore be sure to know of the very long drive there and back. So no champagne unless you can get a place to stay there. Other wise I would advise something closer. I like Dthraco's advice.

The fireworks are coming from the Aloha Tower and what a nice surprise to be with fireworks during a proposal.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM

14 posts, read 64,140 times
Hi thorny22,

Ok, to see the sunset you have to be on the town side of the island. For sunrise, you would need to be on the windward side of the island. Kailua beach in the morning has a lot of people with their dogs walking in the morning and others stretching their legs.

If you decide sunset, may I recommend one of the dinner cruises (Star of Honolulu or Alakai) . My hubby took me for my b-day in January and we had a wonderful time. The food wasn't spectacular, but the views were STUNNING, the sunset on the ocean and the view of Diamond Head....breath taking---and I'm from the islands.

Congrats & Best wishes!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips! I will think about all the options, and look into them more, and then let you all know what I decide!

If anyone has anything else to add, please do!

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Dinner at Hau Tree Lanai around sunset on a Friday. Hau Tree Lanai Restaurant at The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

It's on the far east end of Waikiki, and after sunset (7pm), you can see the Friday night fireworks (7:40pm) across the water that are put on in Waikiki. (you see them across the water because of the curve of Waikiki beach.)

Would be pretty easy to call ahead and have the manager bring over a lei for your bride to be.
After thinking it through, this is what I have decided to do!

I have made reservations at Hau Tree Lanai for 6pm, where we will eat a dinner on their outside patio and watch the sunset at 7pm. After leaving we will stroll the beach nearby (hopefully it is nice and not too crowded?). I will bring towels for us to lay on the beach and have a dessert, where I will propose once the fireworks begin.

How does that sound?!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
I do! Oh wait, I already did. Sounds wonderful! Good luck!!!
:-)

Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny22 View Post

I have made reservations at Hau Tree Lanai for 6pm, where we will eat a dinner on their outside patio and watch the sunset at 7pm. After leaving we will stroll the beach nearby (hopefully it is nice and not too crowded?). I will bring towels for us to lay on the beach and have a dessert, where I will propose once the fireworks begin.

How does that sound?!
I run an event called Singing Valentines every February on Oahu. One year we had a man call from the mainland and set up a very special Valentine presentation. They were to have dinner at the Hanohano Room at the top of the Shearaton Waikiki.

For Singing Valentines, we send a quartet to sing two love songs to the recipient, and present a silk rose and a card. This buyer wanted us to sing one song, then present the card. Just as we did, he got down on his knees and pulled out a small jewel box with a ring. The card said "Will You Marry Me?" instead of "Happy Valentines Day".

The crowd cheered when she said yes. Then we sang the other love song.

Hank

Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny22 View Post

How does that sound?!
Glad you liked my suggestion. I'm honored you chose it.

The beach outside the hotel/restaurant is not very crowded. It's the first hotel after a long stretch of no hotels and the aquarium. You should not have a hard time at all finding a nice spot on the beach or even the grass.

Do prepare to be warm at dinner, my wife and I were not dressed for the heat when we went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu