U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,791,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honoway View Post
Thank you for raining on my parade, captain negativity.

I actually found a great place for $800 everything included near the edge of town in Honolulu, 3.2 miles from Waikiki next to the Manoa and I wasn't asking IF I should go I was just asking for places I should check for housing, like Craigslist. Although I have another month before we go and I'm going to keep looking so if anybody else has suggestions on where I should look for housing because the number 2 step to making any big decision is "How informed are you about all your options?" I just wanted to make sure I asked everyone in case there is a better way of do this or an option I don't know about. The feed back I have gotten on my other post was great.
Sure do hope that your rental isn't a ripoff scam. Lots of "too good to be true" rental prices are. Be careful.

No rain, just da truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-15-2011, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 23,999 times
I would have to agree with some of the other posters here. You may want to be a bit cautious if you have not seen the room for yourself in person. To find a place all for yourself, near Manoa, for only $800 a month seems a bit too good to be true. Looking through craigslist right now there really aren't any deals close to being that good.

If it is in fact, an incredible find, congratulations!

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM

9 posts, read 13,224 times
It's not an incredible find. I found TONS of inexpensive rentals through real estate companies and property management companies. Really, like 30-50 rentals in my range available at the beginning of every month. In fact there's less rentals at the higher prices. I was looking for a private studio or one bedroom that was furnished. Hawaii is just like San Diego there are just as many inexpensive rentals as expensive rentals you just have to know where to look.

No I'm not sending money and no one has asked me to. The scams become ridiculously obvious after you watch the listings for any amount of time. I did change my budget to $750 - 950 since utilities are almost always included. It's also really helpful to use Google maps to look at the whole neighborhood and the apartments and houses around the rental.

So for anybody else who is trying to move to Hawaii here's where I found the best deals. Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments and the Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper and HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale (padmapper & hotpads actually pick up all the listings out there on the web and puts them into map form) By far most of the rentals are in Honolulu and Maui but there are scattered others all over the islands but you can get a two bedroom for that price as well. They have a saying in San Diego - you dont need a big house you just need a big patio. I'm not going to Hawaii to lay around in a fancy apartment, I want something safe but on the cheap side because I'm just going to be sleeping there.

If your trying to get there don't give up! there are tons of blogs and books on how to live in Hawaii for less than $1000 a month. The job market there is pretty good too.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Oh, I almost forgot. This site is Amazing! iStopOver people rent out their apartments all over the world. So you can rent a big fancy condo for the same price as a small hotel.

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM

159 posts, read 169,402 times
Honoway, I agree with you. I used Padmapper and Craigslist for about 4 plus months to research/plan for our move.

Found a 1 bedroom (700 sq. ft.) condo, utilities included (electric - central air, basic cable, water, trash, 1 parking stall), 15th floor with full glass walls, 180 degree ocean view. $1000 all inclusive. Yes, it's Makaha Valley Towers, I will be telecommuting so not commuting to Honolulu.

My rent plus the exact matched utilities runs me an average of $2400. That's a savings of $1400 off the top of my family's budget. Needing only one car, savings of $600 on car payment. (Actually sold my car to CarMax last week with a $3000 profit, yeah) Savings of 2 major components of budget = $2000/mo Yes, Hawaii is expensive but so is LA.

Thanks to our virtual friends Timbo and Pat for doing the walk through at the condo. We'll be arriving at Honolulu on June 9th with four friends in place. Yes, our landlords have become friends as well after all the calls and e-mails to coordinate the lease signing.

It can be done and each family's financial situation/tolerance of making concessions in unique.

Glad you're doing your research and enjoy your summer in Hawaii.

Unread 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments. My daughter and I sublet a studio house on a resort property almost across the street from Sunset Beach for $800 a month including all utilities. We stayed for the entire summer and had the time of our lives.

Now that I've done it I would definitely tell anyone looking to move or stay for a month or more that you are going to have to go there to finalize your rental because, though there are lots of deals places go fast. The North Shore is not popular in the summer time and the best sublet deals where there.

God Bless!

Unread 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM

271 posts, read 217,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhwarrior10 View Post
I would have to agree with some of the other posters here. You may want to be a bit cautious if you have not seen the room for yourself in person. To find a place all for yourself, near Manoa, for only $800 a month seems a bit too good to be true. Looking through craigslist right now there really aren't any deals close to being that good.

If it is in fact, an incredible find, congratulations!

People need to "out" these con-scam artists all the time....one example just yesterday from padlister was busted...their email....

This is a notice regarding:
Name: Ko.. ....ter
Listing Title: $1300 – 1BR/1BA Apartment – 215 N King St all utilities and furnished...yeah right
This notice is to let you know that the above person (whom you've contacted) has been banned from PadLister. (If you don't recognize the name PadLister, it's likely because PadLister syndicates listings for its users to other listing sites, including Craigslist.)
You're probably receiving this because his or her listing was flagged as a scam by another apartment hunter, and upon review by a staff member, it was found to be likely that it was a scam. The lister was banned.
It's not necessary to be alarmed, just stop conversing with that person if they replied, or be very wary. If they haven't replied, you can ignore this message.
Apartment hunters should never send money for a place you haven't been shown the inside of by a person. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Have a good day, good luck in your hunt for a place to rent, and we hope this wasn't an unwanted interruption.
Best Regards, The folks at PadLister
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu