Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM

73 posts, read 188,083 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Four of us will be staying in Oahu and would like to know the best place to snorkel. I see there are some "normal" places to snorkel, where everyone goes (North Shore and Hanauma) but are there any places less crowded? Would it be best to take a tour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
I dont like any tours, because they are just that a tour. Everything is done on a set schedule, go here take a picture, go here hop in the water, just when you are having fun time to go. Rent a car get out and explore, what you have read about the "normal" spots might be actually quite nice for you, especially if you have never been here. The waters here take on a life of their own, and can take yours quickly. My advice is stick with the spots that have life guards, never go alone, timing is everything go early miss the crowd. Most important: IF THERE IS NO ONE ELSE IN THE WATER THERE IS A REASON.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
When I stayed in Waikiki, every am I'd walk down to Kuhio Beach and snorkel out on the reef. Nobody else around. Although I've been a diver since '86, this is when I saw my first shark. Hanauma is nice but I always went beyond the split in the rocks to the drop off, gets rough. I also always wore a shorty wetsuit so I stayed buoyant regardless if I tired or cramped. Safety is everything. Keep yourself an out if necessary. But, unbelievable underwater scenery! Have a blast!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM

73 posts, read 188,083 times
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the great advice! Looking forward to the trip!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Really, Hanauma Bay and Shark's Cove are both popular snorkeling spots for a reason. They have fantastic snorkeling. Get there early so you get parking. It may seem crowded on the beach, but it never really seems crowded in the water. I go to a couple of other spots, but I also go back to those two spots a lot, because they are totally worth dealing with the crowd.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Definitely go to Hanauma Bay - but get there RIGHT when it opens (6 or 7am, I can't remember). The tours don't show up till around 10/11am, so you have plenty of time to enjoy snorkeling without a ton of people. I'd always show up super early and stay until just when the tours showed up - you've got plenty of time to snorkel and the whole rest of the day to enjoy

Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Definitely go to Hanauma Bay - but get there RIGHT when it opens (6 or 7am, I can't remember). The tours don't show up till around 10/11am, so you have plenty of time to enjoy snorkeling without a ton of people. I'd always show up super early and stay until just when the tours showed up - you've got plenty of time to snorkel and the whole rest of the day to enjoy
Or go in the afternoon. By 3pm it's fairly cleared out as well. Though the water is a little choppier sometimes.

But even when I go peak times, I somehow don't feel like the water is too crowded. It's just a drag to wait for the film if there's a big crowd in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu